oneAPI Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation
Support for Getting Started questions related to download, Installation and licensing for Intel oneAPI Toolkits and software development tools.
1284 Discussions

Very basic question of getting a license for education purpose in a university

Jooyoung
Beginner

Dear Software Support Team,

Regarding the university license to use Parallel Studio XE 2019, I am stuck to obtain the license file. 

If I am not mistaken, it is free to use Parallel Studio XE 2019 (compilers) for research and education purposes in a university. Then, where can I download the installation file (such as parallel_studio_xe_2019_update5_cluster_edition.tgz) for linux? 

The thing I cannot understand to register the product is the serial number. If the above file is free, the serial number is also included in the installation files without purchasing it?

According to the Intel webpage, the product serial number in Intel® Registration Center

seems to be only available for the purchased product.

My questions are acutally very simple, 

1. When can I download Parallel Studio XE 2019 for linux for research and education purposes in a university?

2. Where can I activate the university free licence file and download it?

Thank you. 

Regards,

J. Hahn.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Jooyoung
Beginner

By the way, I cannot use Intel® oneAPI Base for Linux because I need to use the ifort from Parallel Studio XE 2019. Thank you.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Hi Jooyoung, if you were a developer who was part of our previous Student, Academic or Open Source Developer Tools program and wish to extend your existing license, please email your serial number and contact information to software_tools_request@intel.com to request a license.

0 Kudos
Jooyoung
Beginner

Thank you for your fast reply.

I recently moved from a private company to the university, the Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava (STUBA). So, I am not sure whether there was a part of the "previous deal" you mentioned. I can ask a system manager, but I doubt that there was such a license deal. Basically, I do not have any serial numbers used here previously.

It would be much better to consider me as a new person who wishes to use Student, Academic or Open Source Developer Tools program in the university (STUBA) for education and research purpose. Will it be possible to use Parallel Studio XE 2019 (parallel_studio_xe_2019_update5_cluster_edition.tgz)?

My university email is jooyoung.hahn@stuba.sk, which I also used to register on the INTEL website. If you need more specific information, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Jooyoung, thank you for the explanation.

Late in 2020, Intel® Parallel Studio XE was transitioned into Intel® oneAPI Toolkits. Post this transition, we have stopped providing new student licenses. This is because the new toolkits are available for free and do not require a license during the installation stage. To check the toolkits out or install them for free, visit> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/news/free-intel-software-developer-tools.html

If you are planning to use the legacy Intel® Parallel Studio XE software, you would need a license during installation. Since we have stopped providing new student licenses, your only option would be to purchase a new license.

Please contact your nearest re-seller/distributor for any query regarding the purchase of a license. They would support you throughout the purchase process.

To contact your nearest re-seller/distributor, please click here: https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/tools/resellers.html, and scroll down to select your country from the drop down menu. You will be presented with their contact information.

0 Kudos
Jooyoung
Beginner

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation.

A reason why I would like to use the legacy Intel Parallel Studio XE 2019 is because of compiling user functions linked to software from AVL List GmbH (FIRE M). 

Between STUBA and AVL, we have UPP (University Partnershop Program) to use AVL software and develop/test some new features. Few years ago, it was not a problem because we can use a free license of the legacy Intel Parallel Studio.

Now, it seems not possible anymore. 

Regards,

J. Hahn.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Jooyoung, that is indeed true. New Intel® Parallel Studio XE student licenses are no longer available.

The tools are still available as part of the toolkits. For example> Intel® Fortran Compiler is now a part of the the Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit whereas the DPC++ Compiler is a part of Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit. Please feel free to check them out for free using the link we had earlier shared with you.

0 Kudos
Jooyoung
Beginner

Thank you so much again. Now, we can close the issue here. 

0 Kudos
Jooyoung
Beginner

Thank you. Just one more question before closing the issue, if I use ubuntu 18.04, then oneAPI will install a proper version which is compatible to 18.04 automatically, right? That is, if I use ubuntu 21.10, then oneAPI will install slightly different version automatically?

0 Kudos
Jooyoung
Beginner

Just added one more question above before closing the issue.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Jooyoung, Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit is supported on Ubuntu* 18.04 LTS and Ubuntu* 20.04 LTS. The software is exactly the same for both the OS builds. Prior to the release the software was tested on these two platforms. On any the other platform, you can try to install the same toolkit. It might work or it might not. In case the toolkit does not work on any other CentOS version, we will not be able to support it.

To check the complete list of supported platforms, visit here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/system-requirements/intel-oneapi-base-toolkit-system-requirements.html#inpage-nav-2-undefined-undefined

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Jooyoung, unfortunately we were unable to hear back from you.

If you have any further queries, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel®.

0 Kudos