oneAPI Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation
Support for Getting Started questions related to download, Installation and licensing for Intel oneAPI Toolkits and software development tools.

cleaning up old versions of oneAPI

ghylander
New Contributor I

Since I installed oneAPI, the installation dir just keeps growing in size, as it keeps a copy of old versions.

I tried to clean them up, uninstalling most old versions (while keeping a few known to work).

It worked for the base toolkits, but when i try to remove a version from the HPC toolkit, it will exit with error and not remove the version.  Funny thing is that I can manually delete the folders, but the old versions are still detected as installed. 

After the installer exits when trying to remove old versions of HPC toolkit, re-running the setup manager will prompt me to install the base toolkit again. This will install the newest version of the base toolkit (if the last version is already installed, it starts the install process and skips all steps)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Soumya_M_Intel

Hi ghylander,

The recommended method is to use the installer (setup manager). However, thanks for the complete explanation. We understand the situation better now. We have encountered similar issues (similar error in installer except for the manual deletion) in some of the versions due to the upcoming changes with the newer versions of Visual Studio and our integration team is doing their best to fix them.

However, meanwhile, to uninstall the toolkits properly, we would recommend the below steps. Please only proceed with the steps when the previous step has been completed.

• Uninstall Visual Studio and any remaining traces of all the versions installed. Kindly visit the below link to find Microsoft's recommended ways to uninstall and remove the Visual Studio completely.

Link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/uninstall-visual-studio?view=vs-2022

• Download the installer for the currently installed Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit and try repairing it through the installer. It may successfully repair, unlike before.
  • Uninstall the repaired versions by re-opening the same installers.
  • Install Visual Studio 2022 (64-bit) - Version 17.1.x with the Desktop development with C++ component selected.
  • Try installing Intel® oneAPI Toolkit 2022.2 or any version that you require.

Our engineering team has tested and validated a list of supported Visual Studio versions for the Intel® oneAPI Toolkits versions. We would recommend you go through the below links to choose from them.

Link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/reference-implementation/intel-compilers-compatibility-with-microsoft-visual-studio-and-xcode.html

Note: The integration issue with Microsoft* Visual Studio* 2022 version 17.1.x has been fixed in the toolkit's 2022.1.3 version. You may check the below links for reference.

Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit Release Notes: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/release-notes/intel-oneapi-toolkit-release-notes.html#inpage-nav-1-1

Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit Release Notes: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/release-notes/intel-oneapi-hpc-toolkit-release-notes.html#inpage-nav-2-1

However, do let us know if the issue persists or if there are any concerns in between the steps.

Have a nice day ahead.

Regards,

Soumya

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Ron_Green

you didn't say if this was linux, windows, or macOS.  that is important information.

For linux, the history database is kept in  ~/intel directory.  If you 'rm -Rf ~/intel' that will erase all history and you can manually delete old versions.  I'd have to look up the location for Windows or macOS.  Of course "~" is the user that did the installation - is that your UID?

ghylander
New Contributor I

Sorry, you are right.

I'm working on windows. I suppose the history database is kept as registry keys somewhere

0 Kudos
Soumya_M_Intel

Hi ghylander,

Thanks for your patience while we were checking with our internal team. From our understanding, you have tried to manually delete versions. However, now the installers are unable to uninstall the programs and are showing the installation option. Kindly correct us if your issue is different.

In this case, we would recommend proper installation or repair (explained below) based on the option that the installer gives. Manual deletion of files has corrupted the installs in such a way that they cannot be uninstalled properly. Unlike Linux, in Windows, a user would have to clear registry entries (as you mentioned) and delete physical files which we would not recommend due to the impact it can have if gone wrong.

However, kindly understand in the current uninstallation situation, the final option would be to format and reinstall the operating system.

However, before that, we would suggest you try installing the same versions of Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit as Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit and then doing a fresh install or repair of the Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit version that is shown to already exist on the system. Kindly try this with one product toolkits' version at a time.

Thereafter, please try uninstalling them via the Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program. If you are yet to try deleting files manually for any instance of the product toolkit then please try uninstallation of it via the installer instead.

If that fails, kindly visit the below path and try opening the installer to select the 'Uninstall' option from there.

Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\installer\installer.exe

Note: For the future, we would recommend clean uninstallation of the products via the installer as given above.

Please let us know if the issue persists. Kindly update us if it has been resolved. Looking forward to your update.

Have a nice day ahead!

Regards,

Soumya

0 Kudos
ghylander
New Contributor I

Hi Soumya,

This is not my issue. 

FIRST, I tried uninstalling the old versions of oneAPI base package and HPC toolkit using the oneAPI setup manager. This worked fine for the base oneAPI package.

ghylander_0-1652085977803.png

When I then proceeded to uninstalling the HPC toolkit, still using the oneAPI setup manager, I get the following error:

ghylander_1-1652086043771.png

After pressing "quit", the setup manager exits. After this has happened, when executing the setup manager again, instead of landing on the "installed products" page the installation of the latest version available online of the oneAPI base package starts. If the latest version is already installed, this step is skipped.

What I meant with my further comments is, after uninstallation failed with the setup manager, THEN I tried to manually delete the files of older HPC toolkit versions. This removes them from my local drive, but they are still reported as installed by the oneAPI setup manager:

ghylander_2-1652086413435.png

ghylander_4-1652086764423.png

 Trying to uninstall the old (and no longer existing) versions of HPC toolkit using the setup manager "uninstall" option will still result in the same error as posted above.

Trying to use the "repair" option in the setup manager also fails with the same error as above

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

I can tell you where the installer keeps it's database of oneAPI and PSXE installations.  But be aware, we do not recommend modifying or removing these files.  It may lead to further issues with installing or removing Intel oneAPI or PSXE software.  You understand and agree that if you modify these files you do so at your own risk. 

Given the caveats - the oneAPI installer keeps it's database in C:\ProgramData\Intel\InstallerCache

All software files are kept in c:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI

Should that somehow get removed, there should be no record of past installations on disk.  Keep in mind there may be leftover Registry Entries as well.  Proceed at your own risk. 

0 Kudos
ghylander
New Contributor I

Is there any way to remove them using "intended" methods that doesn't involve using the setup manager uninstall+ option?

Problem seems to be the removal of C and C++ integration with VS, any chance of looking into it?

0 Kudos
Soumya_M_Intel

Hi ghylander,

The recommended method is to use the installer (setup manager). However, thanks for the complete explanation. We understand the situation better now. We have encountered similar issues (similar error in installer except for the manual deletion) in some of the versions due to the upcoming changes with the newer versions of Visual Studio and our integration team is doing their best to fix them.

However, meanwhile, to uninstall the toolkits properly, we would recommend the below steps. Please only proceed with the steps when the previous step has been completed.

• Uninstall Visual Studio and any remaining traces of all the versions installed. Kindly visit the below link to find Microsoft's recommended ways to uninstall and remove the Visual Studio completely.

Link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/uninstall-visual-studio?view=vs-2022

• Download the installer for the currently installed Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit and try repairing it through the installer. It may successfully repair, unlike before.
  • Uninstall the repaired versions by re-opening the same installers.
  • Install Visual Studio 2022 (64-bit) - Version 17.1.x with the Desktop development with C++ component selected.
  • Try installing Intel® oneAPI Toolkit 2022.2 or any version that you require.

Our engineering team has tested and validated a list of supported Visual Studio versions for the Intel® oneAPI Toolkits versions. We would recommend you go through the below links to choose from them.

Link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/reference-implementation/intel-compilers-compatibility-with-microsoft-visual-studio-and-xcode.html

Note: The integration issue with Microsoft* Visual Studio* 2022 version 17.1.x has been fixed in the toolkit's 2022.1.3 version. You may check the below links for reference.

Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit Release Notes: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/release-notes/intel-oneapi-toolkit-release-notes.html#inpage-nav-1-1

Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit Release Notes: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/release-notes/intel-oneapi-hpc-toolkit-release-notes.html#inpage-nav-2-1

However, do let us know if the issue persists or if there are any concerns in between the steps.

Have a nice day ahead.

Regards,

Soumya

0 Kudos
Soumya_M_Intel

Hi ghylander,

Please let us know if the issue persists even after going through the previously recommended steps. Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Soumya

0 Kudos
ghylander
New Contributor I

Hi,

it may take a while as uninstalling and re-installing visual studio takes some time and disrupts worflow

0 Kudos
Soumya_M_Intel

Hi ghylander,

Thanks for getting back to us with an update on the post. We understand. We will wait for the time being and get back to you after two business days or any timeframe that you may find better. Please let us know about it. 

Kindly update us if there are any developments or concerns after trying out the provided workaround step-by-step. Looking forward to your response. 

Have a nice day ahead.

Regards,

Soumya

0 Kudos
ghylander
New Contributor I

I carried out the uninstallation of all VS versions I had installed: 2017, 2019 and 2022, then I used the uninstall option in the old versions of oneAPI HPC toolkits I wanted to remove, and it worked.

While it was good to reach at a solution now, I don't think having to repeat this process from time to time is a valid option. Uninstalling and reinstalling Visual Studio takes quite some time. Plus, after installing VS, the user has to re-run the oneAPI installer to enable the VS integration.

Regardless, thanks for the replies

0 Kudos
Soumya_M_Intel

Hi ghylander,

Thanks for your update on the post. Glad to know that it worked. However, we apologize for the inconvenience and the time taken due to it. We understand the situation. Please be assured as our integration team is already doing their best to resolve the concern with future releases. 

The workaround has been provided for the released toolkit versions and the newer untested or incompatible Visual Studio releases, for now. Nonetheless, we will provide your update to the higher team as feedback for better future developments.

As for the recent future, we would like to provide the below links to keep you updated on the compatible versions of Visual Studio for the specific toolkit versions. Using compatible Visual Studio versions with the mentioned toolkit editions would not cause this issue. Please find them below.

Intel® Compilers Compatibility with Microsoft Visual Studio*: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/reference-implementation/intel-compilers-compatibility-with-microsoft-visual-studio-and-xcode.html

Intel® oneAPI Base Toolkit Release Notes (Integration Fix): https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/release-notes/intel-oneapi-toolkit-release-notes.html#inpage-nav-2-undefined

Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit Release Notes (Integration Fix): https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/release-notes/intel-oneapi-hpc-toolkit-release-notes.html#inpage-nav-2-1

Proceeding further, we are closing the ticket. However, if you need any additional information, please feel free to post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel®. 

Have a wonderful day ahead!

Regards,

Soumya

0 Kudos