oneAPI Registration, Download, Licensing and Installation
Support for Getting Started questions for Intel oneAPI Toolkits, Intel Parallel Studio XE and Intel System Studio
1241 Discussions

oneAPI installation failure "Sequence execution failed"

Brian_G_
Beginner

My original installation of the OneAPI base and HPC toolkits was flawless but on attempting to update to the 2022.1.3 version I am experiencing a failure when the installer attempts to remove the DPC++ Compatibility Tool.  The part of the log involved is as follows: 

04/26/2022 18:10:18:038 : 5524 : MESSAGE : Start install/modify sequence execution.
04/26/2022 18:10:18:089 : 5524 : MESSAGE : Starting execution of operation 'update_state.operation.intel.sessionmanifest.1650993017903951'.
04/26/2022 18:10:18:089 : 5524 : MESSAGE : Operation 'update_state.operation.intel.sessionmanifest.1650993017903951' execution is finished with status Success.
04/26/2022 18:10:18:089 : 5524 : MESSAGE : Starting execution of operation 'prepare.operation.intel.sessionmanifest.1650993017903951'.
04/26/2022 18:10:18:089 : 5524 : MESSAGE : Operation 'prepare.operation.intel.sessionmanifest.1650993017903951' execution is finished with status Success.
04/26/2022 18:10:18:089 : 5524 : MESSAGE : Starting execution of operation 'intel.oneapi.win.dpcpp_ct.vs2022,v=2022.0.0-97'.
04/26/2022 18:10:19:616 : 5524 : ERROR : Removal of component has failed.
Component id: intel.oneapi.win.dpcpp_ct.vs2022, name: Intel® DPC++ Compatibility Tool, version: 2022.0.0-97.
Error: Sequence execution failed.

There are several reports of exactly this problem on the net and there is one on this forum that suggests that it can be solved by turning off data compression on the C drive.  However the installation fails for me even though I do not have compression enabled. 

I have tried repairing and I have attempted a complete uninstall but any attempt to do the latter simply fails in the same way.

So I am a loss in  how to solve this issue and would be grateful for any assistance that can be offered.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ArpanB_Intel

Hi Brian, could you try and choose the Custom Installation method and unselect that component that is throwing up the error and try to proceed with the rest of the installation? 

We would like to know.

0 Kudos
Brian_G_
Beginner

Thanks for getting back to me. 

On doing this the same failure then occurs for the GDB component.  When I remove this component, which also removes the DPC compiler as it is a dependency, the installer then completes successfully. But, of course, I am left without a working install without the DPC compiler.    

I then tried a full uninstall that completed 'successfully'.  I was hoping that this would remove the DPC compatibility tool and the GDB component and hence allow me to do a clean install.   But it did not remove these components, presumably because it didn't see them as installed.

Using the uninstaller from the Windows Control Panel does see the DPC compatibility tool but again failed to remove it, giving the same error message.

In case it matters I am attempting to install on the latest versions of Visual Studio Enterprise 2019 and 2022.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Brian, please follow the below steps>

1. Close Intel® installers if any.
  2. Uninstall all Microsoft Visual Studio instances and Visual Studio Installer.
  3. Important: check that C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Setup\x86\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll does not exist anymore. If it was not removed with Microsoft Visual Studio for some reason, please unregister the DLL using,
  4. REGSVR32 /U C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Setup\x86\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll
  5. command in Command Prompt as Administrator, and then rename the file to Backup_Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Configuration.Native.dll so the Intel® Installer can't load it.
  6. Uninstall older Intel® Parallel Studio XE and Intel® oneAPI products.

Install required versions of Microsoft Visual Studio supported by the Intel® Parallel Studio XE or Intel® oneAPI. See the full list here> Intel® Compilers Compatibility with Microsoft Visual Studio* and Xcode*.

0 Kudos
Brian_G_
Beginner

Thank you for your further effort to help in repairing my Visual Studio and oneAPI installations.  

Your instructions worked flawlessly and I was able to uninstall Visual Studio and, fully uninstall the oneAPI base and HPC toolkits and then reinstall my two Visual Studio installations. 

Sadly the oneAPI toolkits don't recognise the latest versions of either Visual Studio 2019 or 2022 so I am now faced with either uninstalling my current versions of Visual Studio and installing older versions or waiting for oneAPI toolkits that support the later Visual Studio versions that I now have installed.   

But Visual Studio versions move forward every few weeks so I presumably have to accept that I can only keep either Visual Studio or oneAPI fully up-to-date but never both at the same time.   

However my recent experience suggests that once oneAPI toolkits work with versions of Visual Studio, the latter can then be updated without killing oneAPI.   But it seems that this will only delay the pain until you next do an update!

This is all a bit of a nightmare but I imagine that my nightmare is miniscule when compared with your own in trying to cope with all of this!

To revert Visual Studio or wait - that is the question and I am going to ponder on this for at least 24 hours!

Thankyou once again for your help.

best regards,

Brian

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Brian, we thank you for your kind words. We are glad that the installation issue is now resolved.

Could you confirm the order in which you had reinstalled the two VS versions and the toolkits? Also, did you select the Desktop Development with C++ workload when installing Visual Studio?

We would like to know.

0 Kudos
Brian_G_
Beginner

I wouldn't claim that I have a totally satisfying resolution since the oneAPI installers wouldn't install anything so I currently don't have access to oneAPI unless I revert to older versions of Visual Studio.  But I can now attempt oneAPI installation.

I first installed Visual Studio 2022, with the intention of not installing Visual Studio 2019 if oneAPI (and CUDA 11.6) installed on it.  But the oneAPI installer did not recognise my Visual Studio version so I didn't continue.

I then installed Visual Studio 2019 and was disappointed to find that this version wasn't recognised either.

Both installations included desktop development with C++.

Today I tried again and let the oneAPI installer continue the install after the warning. It completed successfully, but obviously with no Visual Studio integration.   This makes me wonder why you don't separate the integration step as a different install.

I can presumably now delete the file I renamed yesterday following your instructions? 

Please do ask if I can do anything to help in resolving these sorts of difficulties as I am certainly keen to obtain a working oneAPI installation.  But my current inclination is to wait rather than revert my Visual Studio versions since I like to keep them up-to-date.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Brian, could you share the log files with us?

The default location for oneAPI logs would be> C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\logs

You could also find the VS installer logs in Temp folder(C:\Windows\Temp)

0 Kudos
Brian_G_
Beginner

I have attached the oneAPI installer logs but I don't know how useful they will be since there have been many attempts at installs since the original failure.   

I could not find the Visual Studio installer logs but Microsoft offers a tool to collect and package them up into a ZIP file. 

However it says that the logs only cover the last install and, if true, this won't cover the earlier issues since my last Visual Studio installs were both clean.   

Nevertheless, if these will be of use to you I will certainly package them up and let you have them.  

I assume I can delete the old file that I renamed during the oneAPI/Visual Studio repair?

I imagine you won't be able to answer this but I'll ask anyway!  How far away are oneAPI installs that are likely to work with current Visual Studio releases?

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Brian, we suggest you not to manually remove any file or folder as it might cause issues for further installation.

We thank you for the sharing the log files with us. We will check and get back to you with our findings. In terms of our future releases, we are expecting a new release soon to should fix the remaining bugs that our users encounter during integration. We suggest you to turn your notifications on for regular updates of our latest releases.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

User internally shared the message:

Because Visual Studio uninstalls/reinstalls are costly for me, I have decided to wait for your next release in the hope that it will work with the Visual Studio versions that I have installed at the time.

0 Kudos
ArpanB_Intel

Brian, we thank you for your patience and understanding. We are going ahead and closing this thread now.

If you have any further queries, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel®.

0 Kudos