AI Tools from Intel
Find answers to your toolkit installation, configuration, and get-started questions.

libmkl_sycl.so.3: Cannot open shared object file

Vaibhav_S_Intel
Employee

I have installed the latest 2024.x intel base tool kit for one API from intel website on my ADL ubuntu machine with ARC GPU.

I'm trying to run pytorch with intel_extension_for_pytorch

Why i execute the python code to check torch version and pytorch extension, it throws an error --> 

ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)

Cell In[1], line 5

1 # Import PyTorch dependencies

4 import torch

----> 5 import intel_extension_for_pytorch as ipex

7 print(f'PyTorch Version: {torch.__version__}')

8 print(f'Intel PyTorch Extension Version: {ipex.__version__}')

File ~/mambaforge/envs/pytorch-arc/lib/python3.11/site-packages/intel_extension_for_pytorch/__init__.py:93

89                 raise err

91     kernel32.SetErrorMode(prev_error_mode)

---> 93 from .utils._proxy_module import *

94 from . import cpu

95 from . import xpu

File ~/mambaforge/envs/pytorch-arc/lib/python3.11/site-packages/intel_extension_for_pytorch/utils/_proxy_module.py:2

1 import torch

----> 2 import intel_extension_for_pytorch._C

5 # utils function to define base object proxy

6 def _proxy_module(name: str) -> type:

ImportError: libmkl_sycl.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have imported all the lib and compiler paths in .bashrc. Need your help to resolve this error.

When checked opt/intel/oneapi path for available MKL libs, it only has  libmkl_sycl.so and no libmkl_sycl.so.3 . creating a soft link for .3 gives me a ELF error. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Vipin_Singh1

Hi Vaibhav, we would like to inform you that we are routing your query to the dedicated team for further assistance.

0 Kudos
Ying_H_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Thank you a lot for raising the problem! ​ the  libmkl_sycl.so.3 is from earier oneAPI 2023.x version.

Good thing, we release a new version for oneAPI and Intel optimized pytorch. you can install by 

sudo apt install -y intel-oneapi-dpcpp-cpp-2024.1=2024.1.0-963 intel-oneapi-mkl-devel=2024.1.0-691 intel-oneapi-ccl-devel=2021.12.0-309 --> you may already install the version, then please ignore the step

python -m pip install torch==2.1.0.post0 torchvision==0.16.0.post0 torchaudio==2.1.0.post0 intel-extension-for-pytorch==2.1.20+xpu --extra-index-url https://pytorch-extension.intel.com/release-whl/stable/xpu/us/

from more detail, please see Welcome to Intel® Extension for PyTorch* Documentation!

Best Regards,

YIng

0 Kudos