Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
5028 Discussions

Inspector can't inspect child applications

Hodara__Joachim1

Hi,

Last year, I created this thread to report a bug in Intel Inspector: It is not currently possible to inspect a child application launched from a script.

In the simple example attached here, I have a script run_main.bat which launches a main.exe executable. If I select run_main.bat script as the Application, and main.exe as the child application, I get the following error (but I can confirm that the executable runs properly):

Hodara__Joachim1_0-1693395794943.png

The issue was confirmed by Intel in the previous thread, and I was told that a fix was coming in a future release.  This was on 6/10/2022. Today, I tried again with Intel Inspector 2023.2, and I get the same error.

Is a fix on its way? Is there a workaround I could use to bypass the issue?

Thank you,

Joachim

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ruslan_M_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Here is workaround - you need to install 'bash' on your windows machine (e.g. git-bash). Then you profile 'bash.exe' (pass your bat file as an argument - no need to rewrite any script) but child app will be 'mem.exe'

Ruslan_M_Intel_0-1695717955121.png

View solution in original post

12 Replies
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities. We have referred your old thread and contacted the admin team regarding this issue. We will get back to you soon with an update.

Thanks,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

We apologize for the delay caused. The version against which you reported is no longer targeted for fixes. As a workaround you could start inspxe-cl from inside the script used to start your application.

If this resolves your issue, make sure to accept this as solution. This helps others with similar errors. Thank you!

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Has the workaround provided helped? Could you please give us an update whether we could close this case?

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
Hodara__Joachim1

Hi,

What do you mean by "the version against which you reported is no longer targeted for fixes"? This is failing on the latest version of Inspector (Intel Inspector 2023.2).

Unfortunately, the workaround won't help, because I don't have control over the launcher script. It's a complex piece of code owned by our infrastructure team, which fires my executable at some point.

Best,
Joachim

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

We apologize for the confusion caused. We got an update from the admin team that, as of now, there are no plans to address this issue about child application in Intel Inspector.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
Hodara__Joachim1

Hi,

Isn't that one of the core features of Intel Inspector? They are going to leave it broken like this?

Thank you,
Joachim

0 Kudos
Ruslan_M_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Here is workaround - you need to install 'bash' on your windows machine (e.g. git-bash). Then you profile 'bash.exe' (pass your bat file as an argument - no need to rewrite any script) but child app will be 'mem.exe'

Ruslan_M_Intel_0-1695717955121.png

Hodara__Joachim1

Thanks for the tip. However, I already tried this, and although it gets me a bit further (I no longer get the Inspector error), Inspector does not catch the basic memory error in my test (it does when I run the executable directly).

0 Kudos
Ruslan_M_Intel
Employee

I was able to get result for 'mem.exe' which is called by 'mem.bat'. Do you mean that you have much longer script chain? (e.g. main.bat->wrapper1.bat->myscript.bat) If you describe your setup more detailed I will try it too.

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi @Hodara__Joachim1,

Could you please give us an update on this issue?

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
Hodara__Joachim1

Hi @AlekhyaV_Intel and @Ruslan_M_Intel ,

Apologies, I didn't see @Ruslan_M_Intel 's answer from last week. I had already tried a similar workaround, but using the windows command, and that did not work (Inspector didn't fail anymore, but it didn't catch the memory error either).

Hodara__Joachim1_1-1696414638832.png

However, I just tried using git bash, as suggested above, and that worked. Not sure why, but that's good enough for me. Thanks!

Hodara__Joachim1_2-1696415421570.png

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Glad to know that our workaround worked for you. Thanks for letting us know. If you have any further queries, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos