Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
5018 Discussions

Limiting the data collected.

Rafał
Novice

I've been working with vtune lately and I'm very happy with what it can do.
However, I am wondering about the issue of generating large amounts of data. There is a 1000mb limit at which it stops profiling long processes.
The command I use to profile a process.

vtune -collect uarch-exploration -result-dir <my_path> -target-pid <my_pid>

In practice, I only need the columns "CPU Time:Self, Clockticks:Self". Is it possible to limit the collected data to these columns only? I mainly use data stored in csv because it makes it easier for me to draw conclusions from multiple profiling runs.

Regards
Rafal

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jennifer_D_Intel

That isn't really possible at the function level, as VTune collects hardware events that are configured to calculate more meaningful data over time. But you can limit the microarchitecture exploration to only collect on retiring pipeline slots, which would be:

-collect uarch-exploration -knob collect-frontend-bound=false -knob collect-bad-speculation=false -knob collect-memory-bound=false -knob collect-core-bound=false

To limit it further you would probably need a custom analysis type that only collects the hardware events you need, but then VTune won't be able to do any of the post-processing calculations of higher-level metrics. 

If you open the GUI, you can easily create more complex command lines by setting the WHERE panel to "Arbitrary Host (not connected)"

Jennifer_D_Intel_0-1708670354735.png

Then in the HOW pane you can change the defaults and generate the command line by pressing the >_ button at the bottom:

Jennifer_D_Intel_2-1708671286625.png

Rafał
Novice

Thanks for the very useful tips. I will apply them to the project.

0 Kudos