Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
5034 Discussions

RHEL 8.8 Vtune-gui Scope of ptrace System Call Is Limited

Joe-Hoffman28
Beginner

I have a customer who reported they get the following error anytime they attempt to use vtune:

Cannot start data collection because the scope fop trace system call is limited.

To enable profiling, please set /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope to 0. To

make this change permanent, set kernel.yama.ptrace_scope to 0 in

/etc/sysctl.d/10-ptrace.conf and reboot the machine.

I see the solution recommended here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/vtune-profiler/user-guide/2023-1/error-ptrace-sys-call-scope-limited.html

However, I work in a STIG compliant organization. I cannot simply disable this control. Please see the STIG rule: https://www.stigviewer.com/stig/red_hat_enterprise_linux_8/2021-12-03/finding/V-230546

I need guidance if there are know workaround or anyone experiencing the same?

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities. We have contacted the admin team regarding this issue. We will get back to you soon with an update.

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
Joe-Hoffman28
Beginner

Hello, wondering if anyone can help me with this issue?

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

We apologize for the delay caused. We don't have a workaround for your issue. The typical solution is for the cluster/IT admins to install the VTune drivers and give users the vtune group so they can use it. 

If this helps your issue, make sure to accept this as solution. This helps others with similar issues. Thank you!

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Has the workaround provided helped? Can we discontinue monitoring this thread?

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

We have not heard back from you. Hence, we will assume that your issue is resolved. If you need any further assistance, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos