Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4974 Discussions

Using Vtune profiler on Container

EliavShbt
Novice

 I'm using Vtune on docker environment and I get those 2 messages:

Error.jpg

For message #1:
I would like to know how to get hardware analysis such as
'Microarchitecture Exploration Analysis' using Vtune profiler command line interface with docker container.

For message #2:
I would to get an explanation of these 3 warnings (I added another screenshot from the GUI interface when using 'collect threading' command)

GUI - Cannot locate debugging information Warnings.jpg

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

>For message #1:

I would like to know how to get hardware analysis such as

'Microarchitecture Exploration Analysis' using Vtune profiler command line interface with docker container.

Answer: To analyze the issue from our end, could you please share the following details.

1. The operating system

2. Self-checker logs

3. The docker image

Please ensure the sep drivers are installed and then try Hardware events based sampling collection. Please refer: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/vtune-help/top/installation/sep-driver.html

To Run VTune Profiler in a Container, please refer: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/vtune-help/top/launch/containerization-support/run-from-container.html

>For message #2:

I would to get an explanation of these 3 warnings (I added another screenshot from the GUI interface when using 'collect threading' command)

Answer:

CAUSE: Debugging information (PDB files on Windows* and DWARF format on Linux*) for applications and system modules is not generally available on the system by default. Missing debug information is not critical to performance analysis but prevents Intel® VTune™ Profiler from providing full-scale statistics on call stacks, source data, and so on.

If the VTune Profiler does not find debug information for the binaries, it statically identifies function boundaries and assigns hotspot addresses to generated pseudo names func@address for such functions, for example:

If a module is not found or the name of a function cannot be resolved, the VTune Profiler displays module identifiers within square brackets, for example: [module].

If the debug information is absent, the VTune Profiler may not unwind the call stack and display it correctly in the Call Stack pane. Additionally in some cases, it can take significantly more time to finalize the results for modules that do not have debug information.

See detailed instructions to enable debug information

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos
EliavShbt
Novice

Thank you for the quick reply, apparently on this docker image we didn't have all the required permission so we didn't have access to the kernel files.

The solutions you suggested were very helpful thank you and sorry for the delay !

0 Kudos
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

Have all your queries been answered? Do you need any more help? If not, can we discontinue monitoring the case?

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos
Gopika_Intel

Hi,

Glad to know that your issue is resolved. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Regards

Gopika

0 Kudos