Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4999 Discussions

VTune 2020 hotspots user-mode sampling interval

ksurender
Beginner

Hello,

I recently tried out some of my VTune command line workflows with VTune 2020 and ran into an issue. I commonly use the VTune CLI for basic hot-spots (user-mode sampling) of an existing process. An example command-line is:

vtune -collect=hotspots -no-follow-child -target-pid=1234 -data-limit=0 -knob sampling-interval=10 -r C:\myResults

this command works in VTune 2017, but in 2020 I receive an error:

vtune: Error: The knob sampling-interval cannot be applied due to an incorrect apply_state knob

is it possible to specify sampling-interval with user-mode sampling in VTune 2020? I was also looking at the GUI and could not find a place to specify this, so I am wondering if this not allowed any more.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel VTune Profiler Forum.

The error might be because the sampling interval flag is already set in the predefined analysis type “hotspots” and if we need to do any further changes to that parameter , we must make a custom analysis with required values set.

You can use the following workaround to run the analysis successfully:

1)     Select hotspots analysis type and enable user mode sampling in HOW pane.

2)     In VTune GUI, we have an option to set the sampling interval: Click on copy symbol on top right corner to create a copy of the analysis configuration and you change the different parameters available (refer image 1)

3)     You will see an option “CPU sampling interval, ms” where you can set the sampling interval time

4)     Generate CLI command using the command line generator at the bottom (refer image 2) to get the correct CLI

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Raeesa 

0 Kudos
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi,

We haven't heard back from you. Please let us know whether the solution provided helped and you were able to run the analysis successfully.

Thank you,

Raeesa

0 Kudos
RaeesaM_Intel

Hi,

We haven't heard back from you for a long time. We are discontinuing monitoring this thread. Please raise a new thread if you have any further issues.

Thank you,

Raeesa

0 Kudos