Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

VTune Profiler cannot recognize the processor

Carles_O
Beginner

Hi,

VTune installed in a remote Linux system. vtune-self-checker.sh seems to indicate that the SEP driver is loaded and functional (see attached log.txt).

Tune GUI running on MacOS and connecting via SSH to the remote Linux machine return the following errors:

x This analysis type is not applicable to the system because VTune Profiler
  cannot recognize the processor. If this is a new Intel processor, please
  check for an updated version of VTune Profiler. If this is an unreleased
  Intel processor, please contact Online Service Center for an NDA product
  package.

x Cannot enable Hardware Event-based Sampling due to a problem with the driver
  (sep*/sepdrv*). Check that the driver is running and the driver group is in
  the current user group list. See the "Sampling Drivers" help topic for
  further details.

The processor in the remote machine is Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4210 CPU @ 2.20GHz

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Rahila_T_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel communities.

To Check the issue from our end could you please share the MacOS processor details?

We could see that you have mentioned like the processor in the remote machine is Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4210 CPU @ 2.20GHz (Cascade Lake). But in the log file it is mentioned like skylake.

Rahila_T_Intel_0-1668167729903.png

Could you please verify and confirm the same.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Carles_O
Beginner

Hi,

I've tried multiple systems with the same result, which is why you saw more than one target processor. Sorry for the confusion. For the purpose of this thread, we can focus on the Skylake use case.

The VTune GUI is running in a M1 machine.

--Carles

0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel

Hi,

Could you please share the status of the loaded drivers.

You can check the status of the loaded drivers using the below command:

<oneapi_install_directory>/vtune/latest/sepdk/src/insmod-sep -q

example: /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/latest/sepdk/src/insmod-sep -q

Thanks

0 Kudos
Carles_O
Beginner

See the output below.

>/opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/latest/sepdk/src/insmod-sep -q

pax driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".
socperf3 driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".
sep5 driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".

socwatch driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".

vtsspp driver is loaded and owned by group "vtune" with file permissions "660".

> groups
carlos_o vtune isotech shellbox_access

0 Kudos
Carles_O
Beginner

I'm including a screenshoot of the GUI in MacOS(M1) GUI for your reference

Carles_O_0-1668457442975.png

0 Kudos
Carles_O
Beginner

I have also run tune-gui from an Intel based Mac - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2150B CPU @ 3.00GHz - and the problem is the same.

0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel

Hi,

We are working on this internally and will share you the updates.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel

Hi,

Could you please try the remote analysis without sep driver (unload it on the target machine)?

Thanks

0 Kudos
bariserkus
Novice

Hi, I have a similar problem, on a Ubuntu Machine. Could you please guide me with your solution? How do I unload the sep driver?

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_R_Intel1
Employee

Hello,

To unload the SEP/PAX/VTSS drivers, use the rmmod-sep command from /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/<version>/sepdk/src/rmmod-sep
(if vtune was installed as root, otherwise the path will start from your $HOME directory).

For additional details, see https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/vtune-profiler/user-guide/2023-1/build-install-sampling-drivers-for-linux-targets.html

0 Kudos
bariserkus
Novice

Vtune Version 2022.4.1 has some major issues on my Ubuntu 20.04. Switching to Vtune 2022.2.0 worked smoothly. Maybe there are some bugs in the newer version of Vtune.

0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel

Hi,

We haven't heard back from you. Did you get time to try remote analysis without sep driver ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Carles_O
Beginner

Yes,

I'm running vtune cli in the remote machine then copying the resulting files to the GUI machine.

The issue is that I cannot see the application output in the "Application Output" window in the GUI.

0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel

Hi,

We have informed the concerned team regarding your issue.

Thanks for your patience. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in response.

From your log we could see that:

"HW event-based analysis with stacks... Command line: /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/2022.4.1/bin64/vtune -collect hotspots -knob sampling-mode=hw -knob enable-stack-collection=true -r /tmp/vtune-tmp-carlos_o/self-checker-2022.11.10_18.14.54/result_ah_with_stacks -data-limit 0 -finalization-mode none -source-search-dir /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/2022.4.1/samples/en/C+/matrix/src – /opt/intel/oneapi/vtune/2022.4.1/samples/en/C+/matrix/matrix Stderr: vtune: Warning: Access to /proc/kallsyms file is limited.

Consider changing /proc/sys/kernel/kptr_restrict to 0 to enable resolution of OS kernel and kernel module symbols. vtune: Warning: To profile kernel modules during the session, make sure they are available in the /lib/modules/kernel_version/ location. vtune: Error: Insufficient limit for open file descriptors in the system for driverless collection.

To increase file descriptor limit,

1. Set a value above (150 * logic CPU count).

2. For the attach mode, check if /proc/sys/kernel/perf_event_paranoid is set to 0 or -1. If yes, multiply new limit by number of threads in the process.

3. Set hard and soft limits to new limit with 'nofile' value in /etc/security/limits.conf. 

4. Refresh login to apply changes."

See the last bullet in https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/vtune-profiler/user-guide/2023-0/hw-event-based-sampling-collection.html and https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/vtune-profiler/user-guide/2023-0/microarchitecture-analysis-group.html or the Prerequisites in https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/vtune-profiler/user-guide/2023-0/intel-xeon-phi-processor-knights-landing-targets.html 

If this resolves your issue, make sure to accept this as a solution. This would help others with similar issue. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel

Hi,

We haven't heard back from you. Could you please give us an update?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Rahila_T_Intel

Hi,

We have not heard back from you.

We assume that your issue is resolved. This thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Thanks

0 Kudos