Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

VTune SGX Hotspots doesn't show enclave perf data

ginzberg__yehonatan

Hi,

I'm working on an SGX project, I'm trying to perf-analyze it using VTune with no much success - I'm not getting perf analysis for the enclave dll.

My system:

1. SGX SDK v1.9.106.43403
2. SGX PSW v1.9.105.42329
3. VTune Amplifier 2018 Update 2 (build 550381)
4. Intel i7-7500U
5. Windows 10 Pro Version 1709 OS Build 16299.334

I've tried: running the app through VTune integration with Visual Studio 2015, Standalone VTune launching the app and standalone VTune attaching to process - none of these show perf analysis for the dll running within the enclave. 

Due to my failure perf analyzing my code, I tried working with one of SGX sample projects (getting-started-with-sgx-sdk-for-windows) - it doesn't work as well, looking at the Top-down Tree view in VTune, the last point in stack I'm seeing is from the sgx_urts.dll (I added a dummy loop in the enclave and indeed the sgx_urts.dll is accountable for most of the app run) - but for some reason it doesn't go beyond that..

Any suggestions how to make it work? known issues that prevent doing so?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Dmitry_R_Intel1
Employee

1. It is not working only starting 2018 Update 2 version. But the problem is that if you have recent OS security patches installed and active VTune collection will not work at all in versions earlier than 2018 Update 2.

2. No ETA yet

3. If you have paid support please submit a ticket. We may be able to provide you some workarounds and/or pre-release bits.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dmitry_R_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately the support for SGX profiling was broken in VTune 2018 U2 due to urgent VTune repair after recent OS security patches. We are working on restoring the functionality in future releases.

0 Kudos
ginzberg__yehonatan

1. Is it broken for VTune 2016 Update 4 as well for the same reasons?

2. Is there any ETA for when it'll be fixed?

0 Kudos
ginzberg__yehonatan

3. Any officially suggested workarounds for profiling the code that is running within the enclave? I thought that simulation mode will allow me to profile somehow but I failed to achieve that.

0 Kudos
Dmitry_R_Intel1
Employee

1. It is not working only starting 2018 Update 2 version. But the problem is that if you have recent OS security patches installed and active VTune collection will not work at all in versions earlier than 2018 Update 2.

2. No ETA yet

3. If you have paid support please submit a ticket. We may be able to provide you some workarounds and/or pre-release bits.

0 Kudos
ginzberg__yehonatan

The 'No ETA' response is also for the feature break due to recent OS patches ?

0 Kudos
Dmitry_R_Intel1
Employee

No ETA for when SGX profiling will work again on Windows.

Note that the problem doesn't affect Linux platform - SGX profiling should work there.

0 Kudos
ginzberg__yehonatan

Hi Dmitry, regarding "If you have paid support please submit a ticket. We may be able to provide you some workarounds and/or pre-release bits". I don't have paid support, but I'm working on an academic project in collaboration with Intel (I can share more details with which teams, in private) - I've forwarded to question to them and since their teams are working on other other parts of SGX they referenced me back to you. Is there, by any chance, a way I can open a support ticket in my situation?

0 Kudos
Dmitry_R_Intel1
Employee

You should still be able to open a ticket on the online registration center. Or just contact me directly by mail: Dmitry.Ryabtsev@intel.com

0 Kudos