Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

VTune does not show source file even with debugging info enabled

amadio
Beginner

Hi, I am trying to profile an application and have compiled it with GCC 11.2 and CXXFLAGS -g and -fno-omit-frame-pointer. However, VTune does not show the source file name or annotated source code when collecting hotspots. All I can see is the assembly.

Last time when I had a similar problem like this, it was due to the kernel version that was too recent for the pin tool (I am currently using kernel 5.13), however, it seems that this is not the problem this time, as calling pin by itself shows no error related to kernel versions. My other idea is that it could be due to linking my code with RPATH and not using LD_LIBRARY_PATH to find the libraries. I should say that when I try to profile the same binary with perf it can correctly annotate the source code without problems.

How could I go about troubleshooting to identify the underlying cause for this problem? VTune doesn't show any hints about it in error messages as far as I can tell. The collection and result finalization both happen without any errors, I just don't see anything in the "Source File" column of the "Bottom-up" view after the result is finalized.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

Hi, 

What VTune version do you use? 
GCC 11 produces DWARF-5 debugging information. VTune 2021.6.0 and older versions can't read DWARF5 debug info. If that is the case, there are two options: 
 - try VTune 2021.7.0 with DWARF5 support or

- rebuild your application with -gdwarf-4 or -gdwarf-3 to have debug info in older formats.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

Hi, 

What VTune version do you use? 
GCC 11 produces DWARF-5 debugging information. VTune 2021.6.0 and older versions can't read DWARF5 debug info. If that is the case, there are two options: 
 - try VTune 2021.7.0 with DWARF5 support or

- rebuild your application with -gdwarf-4 or -gdwarf-3 to have debug info in older formats.

0 Kudos
amadio
Beginner

Thank you , that is the problem then. I am using Intel(R) oneAPI VTune(TM) Profiler 2021.5.0 (build 618064).

It would have been nice to have some sort of message telling that DWARF-5 debugging info could not be read, though.

0 Kudos
RahulU_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for accepting the solution. The issue has been resolved in the latest VTune version so it might not be possible to have a message displayed for dwarf 5 being unsupported as any change in software has be made to latest release. We Will discontinue monitoring this case from now. If you have any other query you can post a new question. 

Thanks and Regards

Rahul

0 Kudos