Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
5002 Discussions

vTune error when collecting IO information

Abelard
Novice

I am running vTune on a MPI program. I want to collect IO information of my program. 

I submit the job with 

mpirun -n 256 vtune -collect io -r /directory ./*.exe

And it shows the following error and warning:

vtune: Warning: To analyze modules at the kernel level in this configuration, load the Intel sampling driver and set an unlimited (0) value for the Stack size option (if you require stack collection). Alternatively, enable access to kernel-mode monitoring by setting the /proc/sys/kernel/perf_event_paranoid value to 1 or lower.

vtune: Warning: L3 misses and average latencies of inbound PCIe requests cannot be collected. Load the sampling driver to enable full functionality.

vtune: Warning: Attribution of PCIe metrics to devices is not available. For full functionality, load the sampling driver or launch the collection with root privileges.

vtune: Warning: Access to /proc/kallsyms file is limited. Consider changing /proc/sys/kernel/kptr_restrict t o 0 to enable resolution of OS kernel and kernel module symbols.
vtune: Error: PCIe bandwidth analysis requires either one of these actions:

* Install Intel Sampling Drivers

* Configure driverless collection with perf by setting /pro c/sys/kernel/perf_event_paranoid to 0 or configuring Perf tool capabilities.

Could you please give some suggestions on how to solve this problem?

1 Solution
yuzhang3_intel

It looks the VTune driver doesn't work and Perf configuration is also not ready. If you want to use VTune driver for the profiling, you need to install the driver following steps in the link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/vtune-profiler/user-guide/2024-0/build-install-sampling-drivers-for-linux-targets.html#GUID-CC4C2F86-21A6-402A-97B0-3DA1FFD2C8F4

If you want to use Perf instead, you can click the command in the console window following the prompt:

# echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/perf_event_paranoid

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
yuzhang3_intel

It looks the VTune driver doesn't work and Perf configuration is also not ready. If you want to use VTune driver for the profiling, you need to install the driver following steps in the link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/vtune-profiler/user-guide/2024-0/build-install-sampling-drivers-for-linux-targets.html#GUID-CC4C2F86-21A6-402A-97B0-3DA1FFD2C8F4

If you want to use Perf instead, you can click the command in the console window following the prompt:

# echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/perf_event_paranoid

0 Kudos
Abelard
Novice

The administrator of the supercomputer center told us the perf_event_paranoid can not be modified. Seems like we must install the driver, but I don't have the root access. 

Seems like we have to negotiate with the administrator and let them install the driver -- correct? 

0 Kudos
yuzhang3_intel

Yes.

Whether you are installing the driver or configuring Perf, you need root permissions.

Abelard
Novice

Thanks for your solution! We are trying on it!

0 Kudos