Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games
489 Discussions

DirectX 9.0 GetRenderTargetData problem on Windows XP

Zailgan
Beginner
I'm working on graphics application. First I need to render image using GPU and after that get it from video memory and continue image processing using CPU. Primary API is DirectX and GetRenderTargetData function is used for such purposes. Image size is 1920x1080. It works fine on Windows 7 with delay about 6-7 ms. It'senoughfor us. But on Windows XP the same function works very very slow with delay 75ms. Also system stops during this application running.
If somebody wants to help then I can provide sources to reproduce this problem. It's small console application.
CPU: i3 540
GPU: Intel GraphicsHD
Memory: DDR3 4 GB 2x2
Motherboard: Intel ITX with H57 chipset
Probably this is problem with drivers for Windows XP and Intel doesn't want to support Windows XP anymore. Please help me to solve this problem.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Philip_T_Intel1
Employee
Do you get any additional information from the debug runtime output and an application compiled as a debug build with full D3D debugging info?

its likely this is an artifact of the driver stack and DDI for XP
0 Kudos
Zailgan
Beginner
No I don't have. But if you have access to such kind of hardware on Windows XP. I can give you source of small console application to reproduce this problem. It will be easy, because all system starts working very very slow during demo running. Demo creates three surfaces with 1920x1080 and calls GetRenderTargetDatacontinuouslyand system is stuck (desktop refreshing speed is very slow, but CPU is OK, so problem is inside video).
PS: GetRenderTargetData is strange function because ATI and Intel have some issues with it. ATI already fixed it and my demo works stable, right now I want that Intel fix such issues. Issues are different but both of them with the same function GetRenderTargetData.
0 Kudos
Philip_T_Intel1
Employee
this is something you do as a developer.

You need to:
1)recompile your app in debug mode and set #defines for D3D debugging ( see SDK )
2)turn on full debug info using the DX control panel applet
3)run your app in Visual Studio and watch the debug output in the output pane.

if there is something going on from a software standpoint ( memory flags, buffer type, etc ) the debug runtime will provide ERROR, WARN, and INFO to inform you to that effect.
0 Kudos