Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games
489 Discussions

Driver bug (AV in igdumd32.dll, DirectX 9 related)

oev_nsk
Beginner

Access violation reading location 0x00000510

We`ve got this big problem in our game.

Access violation happens only under Win7 + Intel graphics (GMA 3100, GMA 950) and works fine under WinXP or with non-Intel cards so it is definitely not a problem of our 3d engine. Affected both 8.15.10.1749 driver and the latest available 1930.

Call stack right after crash:

igdumd32.dll!01854ec5()
[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for igdumd32.dll]
igdumd32.dll!0186c20f()
igdumd32.dll!0189df4a()
igdumd32.dll!0189af4c()
igdumd32.dll!0189d2ea()
igdumd32.dll!018a0276()
igdumd32.dll!0196bd79()
igdumd32.dll!0187863a()
igdumd32.dll!01863b13()
d3d9.dll!CD3DDDIDX10::DrawIndexPrim() + 0x204 bytes
d3d9.dll!wmt_DRAW_CLIPPED_PRIM() + 0x1be bytes
d3d9.dll!wmt_PVFUNCS::ProcessIndexedPrimitive() + 0x11a bytes
d3d9.dll!CD3DDDIDX8::ProcessIndexedPrimitiveC() + 0x119 bytes
d3d9.dll!CD3DHal_DrawIndexedPrimitive() + 0xa4 bytes
d3d9.dll!CD3DBase::DrawIndexedPrimitive() + 0xc3 bytes
> lzView.exe!lzMesh::Dip(D3DXMATRIX * iTm=0x0abb9b18, int iFrame=0) Line 79 + 0x43 bytes C++

Help to find any workaround as soon as possible. Our customers have Intel graphics, so we need to fix this in some way.

I can make a bug repro, if it helps you dealing with this problem. Or if it is possible you may send to me igdumd32 pdb file, then I can provide more readable report.

Eugene.

0 Kudos
39 Replies
oev_nsk
Beginner

As an additional note, I try to describe some logic behind this bug.

We are drawing different object on the scene, using FFP setup. Just SetRenderStates, SetTextures and so on and finally DIPs.

At the some beautiful moment (when tens of objects allready drawn), all crashes after calling DIP.

But it is not the DIP problem by itself I guess. This is something what your dll do behind the scene: changing the shader or it`s constants or something. I think so, because if I alter statechanges before make that killing DIP, all works fine. My expirements shows, that if i.e. I will change D3DRS_SPECULARENABLE to TRUE before that dip nothing crashes.

Also, when I change stages setup (i.e. switch off stage 1 by passing D3DTOP_DISABLE), an address in access violation changes too (it is equals to 0x000003f0).

Don`t know helps this or no, but I tell some more about the program.

- There is a Reset() at the start of the game.

- All works using FFP, no custom shading applied.

- Compiled with DirectX 9c SDK (2004 aug and 2008 aug).

- Works in windowed mode

- ... anything you ask

0 Kudos
oev_nsk
Beginner
Is it okay for intel to ignore this forum or to reply once in several weeks maybe?

p.s. btw, there is even no Win7 OS variant in the problem submit (http://supportmail.intel.com/scripts-emf/prodspec.aspx).
0 Kudos
Arti_G_Intel
Employee
Quoting - oev.nsk
Is it okay for intel to ignore this forum or to reply once in several weeks maybe?

p.s. btw, there is even no Win7 OS variant in the problem submit (http://supportmail.intel.com/scripts-emf/prodspec.aspx).

Hello oev.nsk

I am the community manager and want tosend my apologiesfor the delay in answering this question. I have notified our forum moderator and he will get back to you soon.

Regards
0 Kudos
oev_nsk
Beginner

Waiting for a qualified help.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Doraisamy_G_Intel
Hi Eugene,

Do you have a test case that you can provide us, so we can reproduce the crash within Intel?

Have you been able to reproduce the failure on a later generation Intel graphics (GMA 4500 variant)?

Thanks,
-Ganesh

0 Kudos
oev_nsk
Beginner
Hi

>Do you have a test case that you can provide us, so we can reproduce the crash within Intel?
Yes, I will send a link to you via a private message.

>Have you been able to reproduce the failure on a later generation Intel graphics (GMA 4500 variant)?
We have no such configurations at this moment, so I just have no answer.
But I can try to find GMA4500-based system later, if provided repro will not be enough to figure out the problem.
0 Kudos
oev_nsk
Beginner
Do you download the test and be able to reproduce bug now?
0 Kudos
Doraisamy_G_Intel
Quoting - oev.nsk
Do you download the test and able to reproduce bug now?

Just downloaded it from home. I didn't get a notice from the system about the private message.

I will get back to you tomorrow after checking it out on Intel GMA.
0 Kudos
oev_nsk
Beginner
Any news?
0 Kudos
Doraisamy_G_Intel
Quoting - oev.nsk
Any news?

We are working on it. Setting up a system with Win7 32 bit. The older generation hardware machines are becoming rarer to find around here. Will keep you posted.
0 Kudos
oev_nsk
Beginner
Thank you.
0 Kudos
Doraisamy_G_Intel
Eugene,

I tried the test workload on a GMA X3000 and a GMA X4500. Both of them worked fine, with either driver version (8.15.10.1749 or 8.15.10.1930).

Keep in mind the X3000 is a newer generation architecture than the GMA 3100 or 950. I haven't been able to get a hold of anything older than the X3000 yet. Have you had a chance to try out on anything newer?

Cheers,
-Ganesh
0 Kudos
oev_nsk
Beginner

I found x3000, all works fine. But that was almost obvious, since x3000 is hardly improved and has totally different codepath in the driver I guess. The main problem is that too many casual customers haven`t recent hardware, so we need to deal with that outdated stuff too.

Is it possible to get a pdb file for that dll? Then I can report more readable info about the place where all crashes.

Will some kind of memory dump be helpful?

Or maybe your company has something like "hardware archive" and it is possible to query older generation systems from it for several days?

0 Kudos
oev_nsk
Beginner
Is anybody here?
0 Kudos
Arti_G_Intel
Employee
Quoting - oev.nsk
Is anybody here?
Hello oev.nsk

Ganesh has been working on this issue but unfortunately this hardware has reached end of life so we have not been able to find an answer for you.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards
Arti
0 Kudos
drscrummaster
Beginner

I've got a similar problem:

Faulting application name:X.vshost.exe, version: 9.0.21022.8, time stamp: 0x47316898

Faulting module name: igdumd32.dll, version: 8.15.10.1986, time stamp: 0x4aeb3b2c

Exception code: 0xc0000409

Fault offset: 0x00014fe6

Faulting process id: 0xbdc

Faulting application start time: 0x01cac63abe14226d

Faulting application path: C:\Projects\X\Debug\X.vshost.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\igdumd32.dll

Report Id: 01ca9c3f-322e-11df-9568-00247edc9161

Basically, whenever I try to run my project in Visual Studio 2008 vshost.exe crashes and the above is in the event log.

My environment is:

Windows 7 Professional

Lenovo T400s

Intel 4 Series Express Chipset - GMA 4500MD

I've tried various 8.15.10.x builds, but none of them helped.

I installed 7.15.10.1666 (the latest version 7 build that I could get) and I can run the project in Visual Studio 2008.

The problem now is that the screen will judder below the cursor!

This can be solved to some degree by reducing the resolution on the laptop screen, but not on my external monitor.

0 Kudos
c0ldf1re
Beginner
Problem is... they are not becoming rarer among many end-users!
0 Kudos
Doraisamy_G_Intel
Unfortunately, the driver for the platform you are using(GMA 3100or GMA 950)is no longer actively supported by Intel. Regretfully, it is not feasible to issue a driver patch at this time for this bug.However it is fixed in the later releases of our hardware.
0 Kudos
Philip_T_Intel1
Employee
You have compiled the app under debug, with full D3D debug info, and the debug runtime turned all the way up?

There is no extra debug output?

You can capture and playback the frame with PIX?
0 Kudos
ragiel
Beginner
This is exactly what I was looking for :). Thanks for sharing this great article! That is very interesting :)
0 Kudos