Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games
492 Discussions

Memory leaks on Intel Iris Xe graphics

wnsoft
Beginner

Hi,

I'm a software developer.

We found memory leaks (CPU memory and GPU memory) on Intel Iris Xe graphics in Core i7-12700H laptop (integrated graphics) in DX11 app under Windows 11.

How to reproduce:

1. Create DX11 texture (any pixel format) 2048 x 2048.

2. Call ID3D11DeviceContext::UpdateSubresource() for a rect 1920 x 1080

3. Call ID3D11DeviceContext::UpdateSubresource() for a larger rect - 1928 x 1088 (we update a larger part of this texture).

4. Repeat step 3 many times (updating of a video texture).

Every update for a texture Intel drivers cause memory leak (1920 x 1080 x 4 bytes).

Drivers version: 31.0.101.3358 (4 Aug 2022). Windows Update center says that it's the latest drivers for Windows 11.

The same problem was reproduced on 13-gen Core CPU with integrated graphics.

This issue doesn't appear on old Intel drivers (I tested with Intel HD 5300 graphics).

NVIDIA and AMD graphics work correctly - no memory leaks.

You can check this memory leak with our product. Old version 11.0.12:
https://files.wnsoft.com/test/tmp/pteavstudio-setup-IntelMemLeak.exe

Install a trial version, add a MP4 video file (H.264) and click the play button to watch a preview in the main window. For 1920 x 1080 60p video memory leak about 8 GB after 30 seconds of a video playback.

We found a workaround and will publish the updated version soon. In this future version we recreate a texture if we need to update a larger rect in a texture.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello wnsoft, 

Thank you for posting in the communities. I can see that you are referring to a laptop. May I please know the specific model of your laptop? It would be better if you can share with us your SSU logs as well so we can be more familiar with your configuration. I've also observed that you're a software developer. Could you clarify if the issue occurred while you were developing an application? May I also please know the specific 13 gen core CPU you have used to reproduce this issue? I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
wnsoft
Beginner

Hi Ramyer,

Thanks for your reply. 

We're software developers and this problem (memory leak) occured in the stable version of our app - PTE AV Studio. We recently released a new version 11.0.13 where we used a workaround to fix this problem on Intel graphics:
https://www.wnsoft.com/en/pte-av-studio/download/
I gave you a link above to a previous version 11.0.12 where these memory leaks occur.

I think this issue occurs on any laptop or desktop PC with Intel CPU 12-gen or 13-gen (on Iris Xe graphics) under Windows 11 (we didn't check Windows 10).

We reproduced this issue on a laptop with Intel Core i7-12700H (integrated graphics).

Also we reproduced it on a desktop PC with Intel Core i5-12600 CPU (integrated graphics, we deactivated NVIDIA graphics to see this problem).

Our customers reported about this issue on:

Intel® Core™ i9-13900HX processor Tetracosa core (24 Core™) 2.20 GHz
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX 4070 with 8 GB
(when the app was launched on integrated Intel Iris Xe graphics)

Also on Lenovo 5 pro 16IAH7H laptop
NVidia GeForce RTX 3070 Ti

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello wnsoft,

Thank you for responding to my post. May I please have the driver version of the CPU where the memory leaks occur? It would also be better if you could share with us the SSU logs so we can become more familiar with the system configuration and check for possible errors. I understand that there are several systems; however, this information will help us identify if there are issues with our drivers. Additionally, can you please tell us more about how you were able to identify a memory leak in these systems? Please also let me know if there are troubleshooting steps that you have already taken; this way, we will be more efficient in suggesting the troubleshooting needed. I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello wnsoft,

Were you able to see my previous post? Feel free to share this information with us so we can further assist you. Thank you! 

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
wnsoft
Beginner

Hi Ramyer,

Sorry for the delay with my reply.

I guess that it happens on any Intel CPU 12-gen or 13-gen (with integrated Iris Xe graphics). Because we reproduced it on 4 computers (desktop and laptops) under Windows 11.

How to reproduce this memory leak in our product (special previous version, because the latest version contains a workaround to avoid this issue):

1. Run PTE AV Studio 11 (see the special download link above).

2. Add any video clip (H.264, FullHD) to the Slide List / Timeline.

3. Click the small play button to watch a preview for this video clip.

4. Run system Task Manager. It will show ever increasing memory usage for the "PTE AV Studio" process (system memory, not GPU memory): 500 MB, 1 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, etc.
It reaches 8 GB after 40 seconds of video clip playback preview and may crashes due to out of memory.
Usually it consumes about 400-600 MB on NVIDIA/AMD graphics (or old Intel graphics).

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello wnsoft, 

Thank you for sharing this information. I will proceed in coordinating this with our team to check if we can try to replicate this for you. I will be back on this thread as soon as an update is available. Thank you! 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
wnsoft
Beginner

Hi Ramyer,

Thanks for your reply! I'll wait for the result of your check.

0 Kudos
karen_intel

Hi @wnsoft thank you for reaching out Intel Game Developer Support, I will be assisting you in this case

In the following links, 1 and 2, you will find evidence according to the instructions you provided testing in 2 systems (Iris Xe and Intel ARC), giving an average of usage memory between 800MB up to 2000MB in the task manager using driver 101.5518 and a 2K H.264 sample video, which matches the description of the dependencies you included above.

Questions:

• Do these videos portrait the issue as you have described it? Referring to the steps to reproduce
  • When you refer to 'old Intel Graphics', do you mean old Graphics generation systems or old driver versions of the Iris Xe release?

I'm going to continue doing some testing in other machines before submitting an internal report about this issue to confirm the average of other Gfx systems (400-600MB) to confirm the memory leak. In the meantime, could you help me with my inquiries above?

Thanks!

Karen

0 Kudos
wnsoft
Beginner

Hi Karen,

Thank you very much for the reply!

I confirm that  your screen video #2 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmDflMSrsD8 ) reproduces this issue. At time point 0:10s I can see that CPU memory usage reaches 3.3 GB. 
The main sign of this problem is the constantly increasing memory usage while playing a video file in the preview. If you will wait one minute during video playback, keeping active/focused the main window of PTE AV Studio, you will see that memory usage may reach even 8 GB or more.

And on your system #1 it seems to work correctly. Because CPU memory in the Task Manager doesn't increases. It stays around 800 MB all the time.

It's interesting, because when we checked work of our product on Intel Xe graphics, we could see reproduce this memory leak issue.

You can use any MP4 video file with H.264 (AVC, 1920 x 1080) for checking this issue.

Speaking about 'old Intel Graphics' I've meant an old laptop with Intel HD Graphics 5000 (2013 year). Drivers were from 2017 year.

So I guess that this memory leak issue is related only with Intel ARC graphics, or Intel Xe (integrated graphics in 12-gen or 13-gen CPU, Alder Lake or newer).

0 Kudos
karen_intel

Hello again @wnsoft 

Yeah, it seems to be an issue of Iris Xe exclusively, system No.1 is a Core Ultra 7 machine.

So, it makes sense playback memory consumption stays on average and issue is not reproducible on that system. 

Allow me to do some more testing on other machines and next week I will provide more information for you.

And thanks again for replying so quickly, have a great weekend.

Karen

0 Kudos
wnsoft
Beginner

Karen,

You can also check and compare results on computers with NVIDIA or AMD graphics, where this issue does not occur. 

I hope Intel engineers will fix this issue.

Thank you for your help.

Have a good weekend!

0 Kudos
wnsoft
Beginner

Karen,

I've sent you our email address for Intel team.

0 Kudos