Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games
486 Discussions

Want an Core i7 / Iris Pro powered laptop for your game development?

Mitchell_L_Intel
Employee

Our mission statement is to help game developers succeed on Intel platforms.  For some, success is limited by access to the latest hardware.  We'd like to take down barriers to access.  Today, I'm starting a pilot for what we're calling the "Hardware Seeding Contest".  In a nutshell, you tell us the positive impact this piece of hardware will have on your ability to develop games, we evaluate through the applicants and choose one.  The "Hardware Seed" is a long term loaner system, not a gift or a prize in the sense that you could transfer and sell it, but a piece of hardware for you to use for game dev.  The hardware for this first contest, is a Core i7 based Cyberpower Zeus Hercules.  

Submit here to apply: https://software.intel.com/en-us/form/intel-hardware-seeding-contest

Deadline: 5pm Pacific Thursday, Feb 19, 2015

~Mitch

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Mitchell_L_Intel
Employee

Worth noting - for this first one, it's limited to US residents only, but if it's successful I'm hoping to expand it to other countries as well.

~Mitch

0 Kudos
Olivier_P_1
Beginner

Hey,

Please make it available for France! Pretty please :)

Olivier - Seaven Studio

0 Kudos
Lee_V_
Beginner

We would definitely be interested if it expanded to Canada ;)

- Lee

0 Kudos
Alexander_D_3
Beginner

Although our game can run on an Iris Pro, it's not enough graphical power to run our editor and the game simultaneously. 
I would be interested if the laptop had a dedicated graphics card, the Iris pro just isn't enough for development unfortunately.

0 Kudos
Mitchell_L_Intel
Employee

Alexander,

What Iris Pro systems have you tried?  What editor are you using?  I'm curious as last year we seeded a large number of Gigabyte BRIX PRO systems (same processor, slightly higher frequency) and haven't had people tell me it didn't work for game development.

~Mitch

0 Kudos
Trent_K_
Beginner

Yo Mitch! Count us in for Australia when you expand it. A bunch of killer indie devs out here who'd be keen on this. <3

0 Kudos
Tom_G
Beginner

Thanks for organising Mitch. We're definitely interested, so please let us know if it opens up to Australia!

0 Kudos
Mitchell_L_Intel
Employee

Hey all!

Thanks for the feedback on countries you'd like us to expand this into!

~Mitch

0 Kudos
Vidyasagar_MSC
Innovator

I am a Microsoft Gaming MVP and would love to see this in India and other asian countries.

I would love to see a RealSense embedded on my gaming laptop with a support for Directx12(i know its not there yet).

0 Kudos
Alexander_D_3
Beginner

Mitch,

Yeah I was given/lent one of those Brix pro at steam dev days last year. The machine can run our game on low/meduim settings when its built out. but its just too slow while running the game in the Unity3D editor. Its a First person shooter so frame rate is pretty important while I'm developing the game. Its too much hassle having to build out the game every time I want to see how it feels at 60+ frames per second

When I need to test out networking I run two instances of Unity from the same computer. This compounds the issues I have with the iris pro even more. Its way more convenient using one computer for this set up. I really can't lug around two machines to develop our game.

Right now we use the Brix to test out how much stress new shaders put on the Iris pro. Its our benchmark machine for low/medium game settings.

~Alexander

0 Kudos
Mitchell_L_Intel
Employee

Sounds like an opportunity for some performance tuning both in your game and possibly for us to work with Unity on their engine.

~Mitch

0 Kudos