Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games
489 Discussions

i5 / hd 2d accerlation

Loos__Stefan
Beginner
Hello

I was nicely forwarded to this forum from the support community and i hope im right here for my problem.

In my company, we use new I5 motherboards with internal HD graphics, latest video drivers. We have applications which draw a lot of line segments (not connected), say 20.000 or more per frame. We still have to use good old GDI functions which are quite fast doing so when we use the API call
cdc:polypolyline

which works a bit like OpenGL or directX, that means all lines are drawn before the graphics is updated. But only for this call, its not a scene rendering for all draw commands.

Now, this api call does still work for i5 HD graphics, but it is incredible slow. It looks like that it is internally changed to a set of moveto-lineto commands. I get comaparable timings when i switch my code to a loop of moveto - lineto.

Why does HD graphics dont support anymore fast 2D accerlation? I think some CAD Software would require this also.

Do you have better performances with other apis except for opengl/directx etc. (we cant use scene rendering for some reasons. Is GPA supporting this call ?

Thank you very much for help

Stefan

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Stephen_H_Intel
Employee
Hi Stefan

For drawing 2D linesin software I have worked on previously, Ihave always used code todraw to a bitmap surfacein software then blit that to the GDI surface. If you are drawing that many lines in a frame I wouldsuggesttrying that route - there are a lot of good fast line drawing algorithms out there.

Meanwhile, I will try to find someone who is familiar with this interface and get back to you shortly on your issue.

Steve
0 Kudos
Stephen_H_Intel
Employee
Stefan

To help us find more information,can you tell me whatoperating system are you using and what driver version?

Thx

Steve
0 Kudos
Loos__Stefan
Beginner
Hi Steve

We use XP, driver for HD graphics is currently 6.14.10.5337

It doesnt matter whether we use direct rendering or double buffering (bmp), we need this cmd because anything else is incredible slow

Thank you for help
Stefan
0 Kudos