Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
845 Discussions

Change MAC ID on I210 Flash after Programming

ben387
New Contributor I

Hello,

I am using the Intel I210-T1 Ethernet Server Adapter to test out flash part Winbond W25Q32JVSSIQ (validated per the I210 datasheet).

I was able to load flash image Dev_Start_I210_Copper_NOMNG_16Mb_A2.bin rev 3.30 from document 513655.  I was also able to change the MAC ID once and the load an EEPROM (.EEP file) configuration once.  Now the MAC ID and EEPROM data cannot be changed.  The release notes for flash images rev 3.30 say that the MAC addresses can only be programed once.

I would like to be able to change the MAC address in case the number was entered incorrectly.  How can I do this?  Could I load a different image file to start, or could I edit the flash image to allow for MAC address rewrites?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello ben387,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Before we proceed, let me clarify if you are designing a system with embedded i210 network card.

Is this the reason why you are changing the MAC address?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
ben387
New Contributor I

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your response.  We have implemented the I210 onto a PCB made in-house.  While I wait for the design to be built , I'm running a test with the Ethernet Server Adapter I210-T1 to learn how the flash works.

We will have to set (and possibly change) the MAC ID on our embedded system.  Therefore, I would like to learn how to set up the flash and change the MAC ID and EEPROM data as needed.

Thank you,

Ben

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ben387,

Base on your inquiry, we have specific forum for these issues and I will be transferring this thread for faster response. 

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @ben387:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

You can find the information that may help you in the answer to questions 2.14, 2.15, 2.23, and 2.25, on pages 8, and 9 of the Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I210/I211 Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs] document # 335346. You can find it when you are logged into your Resource & Design Center (RDC) privileged account on the following website:

https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/335346

The Intel(R) Network Connections Tools PV LAN Software Tools document # 348742 has the EEUpdate and LanConf tools, which are the ones that may help you. You need to be logged into your Resource & Design Center (RDC) privileged account to find it on the following websites:

https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/348742

The RDC Account Support form is the channel to process your account update process or report any problems with the provided sites. You should fill out the form stated on the following website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/support/my-intel-sign-on-support.html

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
ben387
New Contributor I

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for your response.  I am already using the eeupdate64e and lanconf tools you referred me to.  I can update MAC address once, but I am not able to update it after that point.  I need to be able to update the MAC address multiple times in case there is an error inputting the data in production.

Is there a way to update the MAC address once it has been set?

Thank you,

Ben

0 Kudos
ben387
New Contributor I

Hi @CarlosAM_INTEL ,

Let me try a different approach.    I'm using release 3.30 I210 flash images located in document 513655.  The release notes say "MAC Addresses can be programmed only once during manufacturing and then every time after reboot they’re restored."  Where can I find flash images where the MAC address can be programmed an unlimited number of times in manufacturing?

For example, if the MAC address is incorrectly typed in production, there needs to be a way to reprogram the MAC address.

Thank you,

Ben

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello, @ben387 

NVM 3.30 is the latest firmware provided by Intel

If you want a firmware image that does not have this feature you would need to find an older release, but this is not provided by Intel anymore.

In order to change the MAC address with NVM 3.30 you might try the following:

1. Set NVM_SEC_EN bit to 0b (bit 13 in Flash word 0x12) and/or disable the SECURITY_EN strapping pin  (it will force the firmware enters the device in the non-secured mode.)
  2. Perform a full AC power cycle.
  3. Try changing MAC address with LANConf Tool.
  4. Perform a full AC power cycle, then boot the system again
  5. Check if the change remains.

Another option you can try if the first option does not work is to perform offline editing of the NVM notepad or a different editor and upload the image, but you would need to re-calculated the total checksum, and update the checksum value in word 0x3F by yourself.

Best regards,

Adolfo S

Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos
ARSKIRACER
Beginner

@Adolfo_S_Intel wrote:

Another option you can try if the first option does not work is to perform offline editing of the NVM notepad or a different editor and upload the image, but you would need to re-calculated the total checksum, and update the checksum value in word 0x3F by yourself.

Hello, my company would like to edit the NVM to change the MAC address directly.  What method do you use to calculate the checksum so that we can repeat that with the new MAC address?

0 Kudos
Diego_INTEL

Hello @ARSKIRACER,

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

You need to update your profile to premier option. You should fill out the form stated on the following website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/support/my-intel-sign-on-support.html

Once you can access documentation and tools, you may search for Programming MAC Addresses.

Best regards,

@Diego_INTEL 

0 Kudos