Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
855 Discussions

X710-DA2 Update not working - Unsupported OROM Combo Image

mitzsch
Beginner

Updating an Intel X710-DA2 to the latest version (9.30) does not work and fails with the following output: 

mitzsch_0-1695823012463.png

I also tried it with Windows but that also failed with the same error. Rerunning an older fw package (e.g. v9.10 - note v9.20 also fails) works.

We already discussed it here => X710-DA2 Update not working - Unsupported OROM Combo Image - Intel Community

A user (with the same problem) over there found a "workaround" for updating the firmware but with the downside of losing some functions.

Also as written there. Something seems wrong with the BootIMG.FLB / OROM Image. On the same system, I can rerun the v9.10 update package without a problem, so it somehow must be a problem with the newer firmware package.

The BootIMG.FLB file in the old update package v9.10 is also substantially larger 1 683 014 bytes vs 1 379 463 bytes. I guess something is missing there. Quickly analyzing those files in a text editor also shows something is clearly missing in the new version. 

Also for comparison:

v9.01 BootIMG.FLB = 1 683 014 bytes - update works

v9.10 BootIMG.FLB = 1 683 014 bytes - update works

v9.20 BootIMG.FLB = 1 310 096 bytes - update does not work

v9.30 BootIMG.FLB = 1 379 463 bytes - update does not work

I hope this time it's the right subforum. lol Thanks!

Alex

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Diego_INTEL

Hello @mitzsch,

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

Can you check if you still have the issue when using the latest driver?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html

Internally, I'm not seeing any issues related reported to the version 9.3, as the losing functions may be because the actual driver is not compatible and must be updated.

Best regards,

@Diego_INTEL 

0 Kudos
mostwanted002
Beginner

Hey @Diego_INTEL 

The losing functionality was the aftermath of getting the card to flash the NVM using PREBOOT utility. The whole method and results are posted here : https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/X710-DA2-Update-not-working-Unsupported-OROM-Combo-Image/m-p/1523567#M34502

The whole issue is that NVM updates ahead of 9.10 (i.e. 9.20 and 9.30) do not have the Combo ROM option for iSCSI+PXE+UEFI

Regards,
mostwanted002

0 Kudos
Diego_INTEL

Hello @mostwanted002@mitzsch,

Thank you for the details, I understand better the situation, I thought that the issue was in an error in updating to the newer firmware.

Yes, the iSCSI Boot has being removed, mentioned in the bootutil.txt.

"NOTES:
- Legacy iSCSI Boot and CLP images are not supported and cannot be loaded or configured."

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15755/intel-ethernet-connections-boot-utility-preboot-images-and-efi-drivers.html?

In @mitzsch's case, it may be best to stay in 9.1 and don't update as legacy iSCSI needed to be removed, there is not much we can do about. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

@Diego_INTEL 

0 Kudos