Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems

phy sfp and ethernet card

fpgajkplusb
Novice

hi i got a pc card with 82599EN on it

I think the datasheet sais it supports 10GBase-KR

This would be nice, since my PHY I want to talk to only understands this and some Fiber-stuff..

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/networking/82599-10-gbe-controller-datasheet.html?asset=2377

---

why the ethtool doesnt show 10GBase-KR ? It shows all other protocols like SR and LR..

I also have a NIC with X710-BM2 ...

but it also doesnt show me something...

---

and second question: DAC -cable would work right?

---

someone has an idea?

thank you

update:

Maybe base 1000 X shown in ethtool of my NIC is compatible ... i found:

"

The first formal standard for backplane Ethernet was created not by the IEEE, but by PICMG. The PICMG 3.1
specification includes a definition for 1000BASE-BX, which is essentially identical to the 1000BASE-X already
defined for optical Gigabit Ethernet. This standard does not include many of the typical features of Ethernet,
such as auto-negotiation. Nonetheless, it was widely adopted and was incorporated into other standards, such
as VITA 65 (OpenVPX).
In 2007, the IEEE ratified 802.3ap, which provides physical layer standards for Ethernet over electrical backplanes.
The 1000BASE-KX standard incorporates the 1000BASE-X layer, but also adds a scheme for auto-negotiation
and compatibility with other backplane Ethernet links. 1000BASE-KX can typically be made interoperable with
1000BASE-BX or 1000BASE-X by disabling auto-negotiation."

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello fpgajkplusb,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Before we proceed, let me clarify if you are designing a board or a system with embedded 82599EN?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

fpgajkplusb
Novice

hi,

thank you for your answer. Its maybe just more a general question about Ethernet. I have already a finished NIC with a 82599EN inside.I have have A external PHY-device  I want to connect with this NIC. Also using SFP+ 10GBase-T. The PHY only supports SR,LR nad KR and some other fiber. What should I look for when I do this? Will the transceiver translate it correctly and everything is fine?

automatisch verhandeln

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello fpgajkplusb,

Base on your inquiry, we have specific forum for these issues and I will be transferring this thread for faster response. 

Please wait for their reply within 1 to 2 business days.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

fpgajkplusb
Novice

thank you for your support!

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @fpgajkplusb:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.
Based on your previous communication, we want to address the following questions:
Could you please clarify if the design related to this situation has been designed by you or by a third-party company?
Could you please let us know in case it is a third-party design the name of the manufacturer, model, and where to find the information related to the affected design?
Could you please list the sources that you used to implement the affected design and if it has been verified by Intel?
We are waiting for your answer to these questions.
Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

fpgajkplusb
Novice
0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @fpgajkplusb:

Thanks for your reply.

Based on the provided information, you should contact the manufacturers of the affected devices because we do not have the information about their implementations to give you support.

You should contact them as a reference using the channels listed on the following websites:

https://www.fs.com/de/solution_support.html

https://www.microsemi.com/product-directory/support/4195-contact-support

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

fpgajkplusb
Novice

yeah I first talked to them. They didn't know exactly -even said that they are not compatible. I asked if they have another NIC for Ethernet KR... they said yes they have only one.

Maybe the whole issue is just  because i dont understand the Ethernet standards: I just want to be sure if this works: phy(10gbase kr ) -> SFP+ ->DAC-> SFP+-> 10GbE NIC( some standard)

Thank you

0 Kudos
fpgajkplusb
Novice

ah maybe you can answer if all SFP+ transceiver have only one RX and TX pair? That means that a 10 GBase T SFP+ can translate 4 lanes to the 8 RJ 45 lanes and back.  But then why my PHY doesnt support the 10GBase T standard and my NIC does...

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @fpgajkplusb:

Thanks for your reply.

The SFP is part of the Small Form Factor (SFF) Committee standards.

Due to this fact, for general questions of this type of standards, you should address them as a reference by filling out the form stated on the following website:

https://www.snia.org/about/contact_us

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
fpgajkplusb
Novice
0 Kudos