Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns
1216 Discussions

Assistance Required: Installing Latest Graphics Driver with UWF Enabled

HuHao
New Contributor I

Hi,

I am in the process of installing the latest graphics driver on a Windows 10 system with the Unified Write Filter (UWF) enabled. I intend to commit the changes after the installation is complete.

The driver was downloaded from the following URL: https://www.intel.co.jp/content/www/jp/ja/download/785597/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-windows.html

I have encountered an issue during installation. After the installation begins and the files are decompressed, Windows automatically restarts without leaving any log files, even though I have redirected the default log file path to a different disk that is not protected by UWF.

The UWF overlay setting is currently configured to 2GB, and it is operating in ROM mode.

Is there a method to successfully install the graphics driver while the UWF filter remains active?

Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
HuHao
New Contributor I

It turns out that my overlay size is 2048MB (2GB), but the driver installer requires more disk write operations than 2GB. When the overlay runs out of space, either Windows or the installer recognizes an exception has occurred and the system restarts.

The driver can be successfully installed if I change the overlay size to 8192MB (8GB). After committing the overlay and restarting, the driver remains installed.

However, I am working on an IoT PC and 8GB of overlay is too much as it uses physical memory.

My question is, is there a minimal driver installer available? Alternatively, can I extract the installer manually and create my own minimal installer?

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello HuHao, 

Thank you for posting in the communities. To set your expectation, I might need to coordinate your inquiry with our team. Before I do so, I want to be more familiar with your system configuration, as such , kindly please share with us your SSU logs.

Additionally, ca you tell me more about the overlay that you are referring to? I am asking because I want to make sure that we provide you an accurate resolution. I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M.

Intel Customer Support Technician 

HuHao
New Contributor I

Hello Ramyer M,

Thank you very much for your help!

For some reason I don't have full access of our device, so I cannot gather the SSU logs.

But I think this issue can be reproduced by the following steps:

1. Prepare a Windows 10 PC

2. Install the UWF manager feature ( https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/iot-enterprise/customize/uwf-turnonuwf )

3. In a command line with administrator privileges, execute the following commands:

uwfmgr.exe volume protect C:
uwfmgr.exe overlay set-size 2048
uwfmgr.exe overlay set-rom-mode on
uwfmgr.exe filter enable

4. Reboot PC

5. Download the intel graphics driver installer and double click it, wait until it decompressed itself, and Windows will then automatically reboot.

However, by setting the TMP environment variable to changing the decompress path, I've managed to install the driver when UWF is enabled:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/About-the-graphics-driver-installer/m-p/1597115#M130909

After then I run "uwfmgr.exe overlay commit" and then reboot my PC, and found the driver is keeping installed.

Thank you again and if you have other questions about this issue, please let me know.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello HuHao, 

Thank you for responding to us. I am sorry to hear about the limited access to the logs. Since that is the case, can you share with me the processor model that you have and its current driver version? if it is a laptop, you kindly share the specific model of the laptop instead. This way, we can try to follow the steps you have shared to try and reproduce the issue if needed. I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
HuHao
New Contributor I

Hello Ramyer M,

Thank you for keeping track of this issue.

Regarding our device, it is an embedded IoT device (apologies, but I'm unable to provide the vendor's information as we are still under development). The processor is an Intel(R) N97 at 2.0GHz, with 16GB of DDR4 RAM, and the operating system is Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 21H2.

The current driver version is 31.0.101.4091, built on January 24, 2023.

0 Kudos
Diego_INTEL

Hello @HuHao,

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

I think you may try with the driver from the document #823146.

Have you tried with 4096 - 4 GB?

The requirements to install the driver are the following:

1. The system must contain one of the Intel chipsets/processors in the list of above Platforms and be running on one of the above listed Operating Systems.
2. The software should be installed on systems with at least 4 GB of system memory.
3. There should be sufficient hard disk space in the <TEMP> directory on the system in order to install this software.

Best regards,

@Diego_INTEL 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello HuHao, 

Thank you for sharing this details. Upon checking the product, I want to let you know that we have a dedicated wherein you can receive faster answers. As such, I am moving this thread to the "Embedded" Forum.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos