Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns

Cannot find drivers

Iv-ana
Beginner

Hi,

I have Windows 7, 64 bits computer. Avast virus scan decided that I need the following drivers. But I cannot find them anywhere on the INTEL internet site. What am I doing wrong? Can you help? Thanks.

7Series / C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 1E10

7Series / C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 - 1E16

H77 Express Chipset LPC Controller - 1E4A

My present version is 10.1.1.38; I need version 10.1.1.44

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I have attached 10.1.1.45; closest I can come from my archive.

Recommendation is to unzip to a temp. folder, open command window at this folder and do command "SetupChipset -overall". After rebooting, you can delete this temp. folder.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Iv-ana
Beginner

Hello Scott,
thanks for your help. I'll try to install the driver, you sent me. To tell the truth, I've found some drivers on other-than-Intel web pages, but the system does not see Intel's signature (or what else) and doesn't want to install them unless I'll force it. And naturally, I'm afraid to force it; I don't need more complications than I have now.
Iv-ana

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Intel has had some of their older certificates expire, sometimes causing additional confirmation steps to be necessary. I don't know if it applies in this case. It could.
Regarding the secondary BIOS and driver sites, I personally don't trust anything from them.
...S
0 Kudos
Iv-ana
Beginner

How can I find out? Better say - how can I use such procedure? I am not knowledgeable of these steps. I'm just a simple user, not a computer technician.
Iv

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Gee, I thought i was providing end-user-level instructions. I guess I will need to dumb it down even further. Understand that there is only so far that I can go.

1. Download the package that I provided.
  2. Using your installed ZIP tool (7-ZIP, WinZIP, WinRAR, etc.), extract the files in the downloaded ZIP file into a temporary folder.
  3. Within this folder, right-click on the SetupChipset.exe file and select "Run as Administrator".
  4. If the app generates a dialog box indicating that there is an issue with any of the driver file signatures, tell it to proceed with the installation. This may happen more than once - and likely could do it for each device that currently has no driver files installed.
  5. When the INF File installation is completed, you will need to reboot the computer. It should ask you to do this, just say it can. If it exits without asking for reboot, do one yourself.
  6. After rebooting, open Device Manager and check to see if there are still unidentified devices. These will be identified in the display with yellow exclamation marks displayed over the icons for the devices. If there are any, come back here and let us know.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. I don't want to nag, but you do need to understand that Windows 7 is a dead Operating System (O/S). Microsoft long ago stopped providing security updates for this O/S. While anti-virus tools like Avast (though it isn't one that I personally would rely upon) can provide you with some safety, it isn't much and it isn't going to help you with any zero-day issues that exist within the O/S itself that have not been repaired. This issues provide holes that allow the nefarious to bypass Avast and compromise your system in many different ways.

0 Kudos
Iv-ana
Beginner

Hey!

I misunderstood you and you misunderstood me. I reacted to the part in your note, where you say: "causing additional confirmation steps to be necessary." It made me think I'll need tome additional programs (steps) to install before I'd be able to install the driver. And you thought, I need basic instructions - I don't. I'm already more experienced than I would like to be. This means, I've already been through too many problems with computers.

The problem is, I don't want to update this persistent virus program, which is called "Windows." I don't trust version 10. I don't like programs that think for you. Someone I know has W10, I think the OS stinks. Rather than installing W10, I'll install Linux and scrap all that nonsense with drivers. I have Linux on my laptop and if it not were an ancient machine, it would run perfectly. After I got used to it, I hardly had any problems. But I have just too many things in (dumb) Word with formulas, which I don't know the Open Office can handle. Aside from other programs, which I'm using. That's why I am hesitating with such a step. (I say dumb Word, because I liked the old WordPerfect, DOS version much better. But the new version is also dumbed down.)

Whatever troubles I ran into with W7 drivers now, they're actually caused by Avast. I found out, they changed something and whatever it was, it affects the drivers. I already updated 6 of them and there are other 5 to go.

But thanks very much for your help. I wouldn't dare to install version 10.1.1.45 when I needed *.44.

Iv-ana

0 Kudos
Diego_INTEL

Hello @Iv-ana,

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

Also, @n_scott_pearson thank you very much for the help that you provided.

Iv-ana, regarding your last comment, I do think that you can try with this tool, I hope this helps. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

But yes, we are supporting Windows 10 actually, but you may give a try to this tool.

Just a personal opinion, I think you may try Libre Office in linux for the Word files that you have if your preference is Linux, maybe this may be of help.

https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/install-howto/linux/

Best regards,

@Diego_INTEL 

0 Kudos
Iv-ana
Beginner

Hello Diego,

thanks for your help. I will try Libre Office. I was thinking about my problem quite a lot and I realized I cannot switch to Linux on my main machine. I am using several programs, technical in origin, which have no alternative in Linux. So, whether I like it or not, at the end, I'll end up upgrading those forever Windows. And thanks for sending me that driver page; it seems exactly what I need.

Iv-ana

0 Kudos
Diego_INTEL

Hello @Iv-ana,

You are very welcome. I'm glad to know that the tool worked as you needed.

Best regards,

@Diego_INTEL 

0 Kudos