Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns
1194 Discussions

E810 Ethernet Controller Configuration

dxy_tiger
Beginner

Hi,

I have 11th Gen Intel i7-1185GRE @2.80GHz. With E810 Ethernet Controller.

I have Ubuntu 22.04.1 installed. 

I found that the E810 is taken ~ 2GB of system memory. 

I am wondering there is a way to configure/setup (In BIOS or firmware) to limit the memory usage?

Thank you,

tiger_dxy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @dxy_tiger:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We want to address the following questions to understand this situation:

Could you please clarify if this request is related to an Intel® Ethernet Controller E810 design developed by you or is a NIC or add-in card developed by a third-party company?

Could you please let us know the name of the manufacturer, the part number, and where we can find the information if this request is related to a third-party design?

We are waiting for your answer.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
dxy_tiger
Beginner

Hi @CarlosAM_INTEL 

We developed our embedded system with Intel i7-1185GRE CPU. On our production board, we have included Intel Ethernet Controller E810_XXVAM2 (Part Number). There is 4GB  on board system memory. The system runs on Ubuntu 22.04.1. 

In the Ubuntu22.04.1, it shows as

Ethernet Controller: Intel Corp Ethernet Controller E810-XXV for backplane Rev 02

Vendor ID= 0x8086

Device ID=  0x1599

The kernel driver in use: ice 

The problem we have: 

We found that the Ethernet Controller ( or kernel driver ice) uses about 2GB system memory, which leads to the failure of Ubuntu 22.04.1 installation. We managed the installation and found it is the E810 PCIe that takes up the memory. 

Trying to find a solution: E810 is under CPU PCIe Root port.  There is no E810 configuration in the BIOS. We would like to limit the memory allocation for the E810 Controller., if it is true that the E810 controller or ICE kernel module uses ~ 2GB memory),

Thank for your support,

dxy_tiger

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @dxy_tiger 

Thanks for your reply.

You should address as a reference your consultations of this type through the channel mentioned at the following website:

https://ubuntu.com/support/community-support

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos