Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4918 Discussions

E810 ice driver: Abnormal rx_bytes obtained from /sys/class/net/<interface>/statistics

zmf
Beginner

Hello, I am writing to seek your professional assistance regarding an issue we have been experiencing with our system. Our system calculates the performance of network cards by periodically retrieving the value of /sys/class/net/<interfaces>/statistics/rx_bytes. However, we have noticed that we occasionally obtain abnormal results, where the value of rx_bytes is significantly larger than the performance of the network card. At times, it can even be twice the value of the previous retrieval. Subsequently, when we retrieve the value again, rx_bytes returns to the original statistical range, resulting in a negative or invalid performance calculation.

We have tried troubleshooting the issue by examining our code and system configuration, but we have not been able to identify the root cause of the problem. As such, we would greatly appreciate your assistance in helping us resolve this issue.

If possible, could you please advise us on the potential causes of this problem and provide suggestions on how we can address it? We would be happy to provide any additional information or data that you may require to help us diagnose and resolve this issue.

Thank you for your time and consideration. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

driver ice version: 1.4.11

firmware version: 2.30 0x80006261 1.2877.0

0 Kudos
7 Replies
B_Y
Employee

Hi @zmf,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities.

We also wish to gather some information below for further checking:

1) Model of your Ethernet card/s and exact operating system used.

2) Did you encounter this issue previously or this is the first time?

3) Do the NIC or network adapter shown any error / unusual symbol?

4) We need your help to gather the System Support Utility log, steps as following: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008563/ethernet-products.html

5) Can you share more details on the performance of network cards, the input and output values.

6) Have you tried the most recent Ice driver to see if there is a difference? Link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19630/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-e810-series-devices-under-linux.html

We'll be waiting for your response.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
zmf
Beginner

Dear B_Y,

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding the performance issue you are experiencing with the Intel Corporation Device 159b (rev 02) network adapter on Linux operating systems. Based on the information you provided, we would like to share the following details:

1. The network adapter model is Intel Corporation Device 159b (rev 02), and the operating system is Linux. The issue has been observed on both Linux 4.14 and Linux 5.10 kernel versions.

2. The issue was first noticed in June when we observed abnormal performance monitoring results on our system. After investigation, we found that the kernel values obtained were incorrect. The issue is still ongoing, and we have reproduced it on a server using the same network adapter model.

3. We used the ifconfig command to check for any anomalies and found only a minimal amount of packet loss (rx packet 47195104 dropped 15). The number of dropped packets has remained stable over time, and we believe it is not related to the issue.

4. Due to information security considerations, we need to review whether the System Support Utility tool can collect the relevant logs. If approved, we will try to provide the logs.

5. We apologize that we cannot provide detailed information at this time. We have checked the ifconfig and ip commands, as well as the /var/log/messages log, but we have not found any information related to the issue.

6. We have not yet tried using an updated driver as we would like to first identify the root cause of the issue. We have also analyzed the differences in rx_bytes data collection between the ice-1.4.11 and later driver versions but have not found any significant modifications in this area.

We hope this information is helpful in resolving the issue. Please let us know if you have any further questions or updates.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hi @zmf,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just sending a follow up if you have any questions from the previous post. If so, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hi @zmf,

Thank you for the information.

Would you kindly assist us in gathering more information in these areas:

1) For precise ethernet information, kindly use this command: 

lspci | egrep -i --color 'network|ethernet'

2) The purpose of the System Support Utility log was first to comprehend how your system was configured.

If there are any security concerns, we can check using a different method. Please specify the essential part of your setup:

i) May I know which tool used to monitor the rx_bytes value?

NOTE: The rx_bytes value of ethtool does not match the rx_bytes value of Netdev, due to the 4-byte CRC being stripped by the device. The difference between the two rx_bytes values will be 4 x the number of Rx packets. For example, if Rx packets are 10 and Netdev (software statistics) displays rx_bytes as "X", then ethtool (hardware statistics) will display rx_bytes as "X+40" (4 bytes CRC x 10 packets).

ii) The model of your system or motherboard.

iii) Any hardware or software changes/updates prior to June? 

Thank you.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hi @zmf,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just sending a follow up if you have any questions from the previous post. If so, please let us know.

May I suggest to update the firmware version from 2.30 to 4.20?

- You may refer to this article if your E810 is Intel retails nic:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000088453/ethernet-products.html

- If it is not, I can help you to check with your help:

We can use the Intel® Network Adapter Printed Board Assembly (PBA) number to search for the adapter's model number.

The PBA number is the 6-digit number located at the last part of the serial number.

Thank you.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hi @zmf,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just sending a follow up if you have any questions from the previous post. If so, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hi @zmf,

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos