Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4860 Discussions

Firmware Update Failed & Not discover Firmware : XL710-QDA2 (VMware ESXi 7.0)

yhc816
Beginner

I ran the XL710-QDA2 Firmware update.
It suddenly stopped and rebooted because it needed to be rebooted.
Since then, the server's iLO has not recognized NIC.
PCIE cards are recognized.
I want to know how to do it because recovery mode can initialize it in NVMupdatetool.
./nvmupdaten64e -RecoveryDevice -location 00:130 -u -l
How do I use the instructions?

(One server works normally, and the other server is the symptom.)

스크린샷 2021-10-10 오후 10.52.49.png스크린샷 2021-10-10 오후 10.53.23.png스크린샷 2021-10-10 오후 10.53.46.png스크린샷 2021-10-10 오후 10.53.55.png스크린샷 2021-10-10 오후 10.54.37.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello yhc816,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We would like to confirm some few things to better understand your concern. Please provide the following information;

1. Please provide us the Part number (PBA) of your network adapter.

Please refer to the link below as reference. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/ethernet-products/500-series-network-adapters-up-to-10gbe.html

2. We would also like to ask on where you have downloaded the NVM package and the steps on how you have applied the update. 

3. What is the version of the firmware prior to updating and which version you have applied?

If you have questions or clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
yhc816
Beginner

./nvmupdaten64e -l

Config file doesn't have any OROM components specified for device 'XL710'.

스크린샷 2021-10-11 오전 11.30.56.png

스크린샷 2021-10-11 오전 11.26.16.png

스크린샷 2021-10-11 오전 11.29.11.png

Since xl710 is not visible, recovery mode seems impossible.
It says that there is no OROM.
Can you recover with bootutil?

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello yhc816,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We would like to confirm some few things to better understand your concern. Please provide the following information;

1. Please provide us the Part number (PBA) of your network adapter.

Please refer to the link below as reference. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/ethernet-products/500-series-network-adapters-up-to-10gbe.html

2. We would also like to ask on where you have downloaded the NVM package and the steps on how you have applied the update. 

3. What is the version of the firmware prior to updating and which version you have applied?

If you have questions or clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
yhc816
Beginner
1. H48722
2. download center : esxi 8.30
3. 4.x(ver 1.0.x) -> 8.30(ver 1.29)
; I don't remember very well.
0 Kudos
yhc816
Beginner
NIC : X710-DA2(8.30) , XL710-QDA2(4.x)
700series_nvmupdatepackage_v8_30_esx.tar.gz
./nvmupdaten64e -> NIC : all -> backup : yes
While XL710 backup was being configured, the operation ended and a reboot message came out. After rebooting, nic doesn't work.
0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello yhc816,

Thank you very much for responding and for providing us the information that we have asked. 

We tried checking the part number that you have provided which is H48722, however we are unable to see if this is an intel or a 3rd party unit. For us to better check, can you share us a photo of the network card focusing on markings and branding on both sides?

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello yhc816,

Thank you very much for providing us the picture of the markings of your card that we have asked. 

We tried checking the Yottamark number based on the photo that you have provided which is 8274 4427 0990 5686 8304 5209 and as per checking this is a valid one. However as per checking the PBA (part no.) H48722-003 of your ethernet adapter this is showing that its a 3rd party card based on our records. 

We will be needing to further check on this so that we can check if we can provide you troubleshooting steps for your network card. 

We would also like to check how many cards are you reporting, since we have noticed that based on one of the pictures that you provided us, you have validated a card that has a Yottamark number 4976 0952 5725 9756 5103 0225 which is different from the one that you are reporting. Please confirm if you are reporting us another unit.

Please provide us about 2-3 business days for us to to provide you an update. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello yhc816,

We are currently checking on your case however we would just like to clarify what you meant by "Server's iLO has not recognized NIC. 

Are you encountering no connection at all and do you have an issue on the 2 ports of the adapter after the firmware update or are you planning to downgrade the firmware to the original version?

Please clarify to us what you meant, so we can further check the recommendations that we can provide you and also please do advise how many network cards are you reporting.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello yhc816,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We'd like to follow up the requested information for us to proceed checking your query. Can you clarify what you meant by "Server's iLO has not recognized NIC. 

Are you encountering no connection at all and do you have an issue on the 2 ports of the adapter after the firmware update or are you planning to downgrade the firmware to the original version?

Please clarify to us what you meant, so we can further check the recommendations that we can provide you and also please do advise how many network cards are you reporting.

Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications on this request. 

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello yhc816,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
yhc816
Beginner

Hello, Expert

I looked up the comparison and contents with the NIC that completed the firmware update.
My mistake was to update Firmware from version 4.24 or 4.26 to 8.30 of ESXi 7.0.

I couldn't get the 4.24 or 4.26 Firmware anywhere.

I was looking for ways to recover Firmware with eupdate or lanconf.
First, I bought an XL710 produced on a similar date.
Is it possible to recover from the NIC using Backup File?

Additionally, a backup option was performed at the time of Firmware update to create .bin and .flb, but the version of nvmupdateutil does not match, making recovery impossible.

0 Kudos