Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4960 Discussions

I can't install i226-T1 driver on Windows Server 2019 Essential

Ruda
Beginner

I downloaded Release_29.0.zip and installed the driver for I266-T1 on Windows Server 2019 Essential 1809. As a result, the following error occurred.

Unable to load device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

The digital signature of this file cannot be verified. The signing certificate for this file has expired.

I have downloaded Release_29.0.zip twice and compared the files to confirm that they are the same.

How can I successfully install the driver?

[Original Japanese text before Google translation]

Release_29.0.zip をダウンロードし、I266-T1 のドライバーを Windows Server 2019 Essential 1809 にインストールしました。その結果下記のエラーとなりました。

このハードウェアのデバイス ドライバーを読み込むことができません。ドライバーが壊れているか、ドライバーがない可能性があります。 (コード 39)

このファイルのデジタル署名を確認できません。このファイルの署名証明書は有効期限が切れています。

Release_29.0.zip を2回ダウンロードして、ファイルの比較をし、同じであることを確認しています。
どうすれば正常にドライバーをインストールできるでしょか?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Hayat
Employee

Hi Ruda,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

We are currently checking on this issue and will provide you with more updates as soon as possible once we know more.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Hayat 

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Ruda
Beginner

thank you for your reply.

I came to the conclusion that I shouldn't buy his Intel brand NIC.

We have confirmed that it can be installed by disabling the driver signature. However, the server cannot be operated in that state.

Since I added it to the working environment, I thought there was a problem with the existing OS environment, so I performed a clean install and tested it again. I tried version 28.3 as well as version 29.0, but it didn't work due to signature issues.

However, when I tried 28.2.1 on 8/25/2023, I was able to install it normally and it is working properly so far.

Intel probably tests it properly when developing individual modules. However, it seems that it has not been tested since the driver pack was created. Since 12/22/2023, driver packs with corrupted signatures have been distributed for two generations. It's probably a constant problem, not just a one-time slip-through. I don't think this is a very reliable manufacturer.

postscript
The file version of the driver e2f.sys used is 1.1.4.42. 28.2.1, 28.3, and 29.0 were all the same.

返信ありがとうございます。

intel ブランドの NIC は買ってはいけないと言う結論に達しました。

ドライバーの署名を無効にすることでインストールできることは確認しています。ただ、その状態でサーバーを運用することはできません。

稼働環境に増設したので、既存 OS 環境にに問題があったのかと思い、クリーンインストールし直しててテストしました。バージョン 29.0 だけでなく、28.3 も試しましたが、署名の問題で使えませんでした。

ところが、2023/8/25 の 28.2.1 を試したところ、普通にインストールができて、今のところ正常に動作ています。

intel では、個別のモジュール開発時はちゃんとテストしているでしょう。けれど、ドライバパック作成作業時以降はテストしていないようです。2023/12/22 以降現在まで、署名が壊れたドライバー・パックを2世代に渡って配布し続けています。たまたま1回だけチェックをすり抜けたのではなく、恒常的な問題でしょう。とても信頼できるメーカーとは考えられません。

追記
使用しているドライバー e2f.sys のファイルバージョンは、1.1.4.42 です。28.2.1 も 28.3 も 29.0 も全て同じでした。

0 Kudos
Ruda
Beginner

The first reply was quick because there had already been a report that the signature had expired.

Reported on his I225-V using the same driver on 2/18/2024. A signature is being used that expires on 1/25/2024. The problem has been left unattended for over a month.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Intel-r-Ethernet-controller-3-I225-V-and-ethernet-not-working/m-p/1573349#M36391

最初の返信が早かったのは、既に署名の期限切れの報告があったからですね。

2/18/2024 に同じドライバーを使う I225-V で報告されています。1/25/2024 で期限が切れる署名が使われていると。1ヶ月以上、問題が放置されています。

0 Kudos
Ruda
Beginner

I compared 28.2.1 and 29.0. The problem was a Microsoft signature that was only present in 29.0 and not in 28.2.1.

The e2f.sys of 28.2.1 is as follows.

28.2.1_1.jpg28.2.1_2.jpg28.2.1_3.jpg

The e2f.sys for 29.0 is as follows. It was a Microsoft signature issue on 6/29/2023. Just check the properties of e2f.sys in Explorer and you will see that it cannot be used. "デジタル署名情報" says, "現在のシステム時計または署名ファイルのタイムスタンプで確認すると、必要な証明書の有効期間が過ぎています(The required certificate has expired, as determined by the current system clock or the signature file timestamp.)" The "証明書の情報" in the third image is "この証明書は有効期限切れかまだ有効ではありません。(This certificate has expired or is not yet valid.)"

29.0_1.jpg29.0_2.jpg29.0_3.jpg

28.2.1 と 29.0 を比較してみました。問題は、28.2.1 には無い、29.0 にだけあるMicrosoft の署名でした。

28.2.1 の e2f.sys は以下の通り。

29.0 の e2f.sys は以下の通り。Microsoft の 6/29/2023 の署名の問題でした。エクスプローラーで、e2f.sys のプロパティを確認するだけで、使えないのが判ります。"デジタル署名情報" には、"現在のシステム時計または署名ファイルのタイムスタンプで確認すると、必要な証明書の有効期間が過ぎています"。3番目の画像の「証明書の情報」は、「この証明書は有効期限切れかまだ有効ではありません。」。

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hello Ruda,

Could you please try the latest driver release 29.0.1, It should have the fix for this issue.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html

Please let me know if it works for you.

Regards,

Irwan_Intel

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hello Ruda,

I'd like to follow up if you have any further questions. Have you tried the latest driver version 29.0.1?

Regards,

Irwan_Intel

0 Kudos
Ruda
Beginner

Hello.
Thank you for following me.
Version 28.2.1 is working fine.
Therefore, no further support is required.
Please close this thread and the following as well.

Expired driver signing certificate part 2

0 Kudos
Fikri_Intel
Employee

Hi Ruda,

Thank you for your response.

Since there are no further concerns, we will proceed to close this thread as of now.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,

Fikri_Intel

0 Kudos