Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4919 Discussions

Intel Communication: Intel® Ethernet Controller I226 Series-Random connection drops at random times

Cam__Intel
Employee

Some customers have recently reported connection drops at random times, specifically on the newly launched 700 series motherboards with Intel® Ethernet Controller I226-V.

Intel has reproduced the issue and is diligently working on a root cause and fix. For any of our customers experiencing this problem, a mitigation option to explore is to disable the “Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE)” mode in the Advanced Windows/ Linux driver setting.  We believe this should help. We are continuing to assess the situation and will follow-up accordingly.

We appreciate those who have shared information about their experience with this issue, and we welcome your input.  Intel will continue to review the comments and information you share to help us work towards a solution.

Best Regards,

Intel

0 Kudos
77 Replies
warham
Beginner

mega.nz/file/pc91lSrD#YG83fKF78opshdBvkzr-KVOKNHtFEvROpkOOwtCVIBs

Polezzz
Beginner

Greetings,

This is my experience.

I have been there for less than a month this config:

ASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PRO WIFI (BIOS V.1424) + Intel i5@13600k + 32GB RAM DDR5 XMP3.0 6400mt/s cl32 Fury Renegade + SSD M2 990 Pro 1 TB + SSD M2 980 Pro 500GB + N ° 2 SSD 860 EVO 500GB + WD Blue 2 TB + MSI VENTUS 2X White RTX 4060 8GB GDDDR6 PCI-EX4.0 + ASUS XONAR Phoebus Audio Card Solo 7.1

The problem presented myself by updating from Win11pro 22h2 to 23h2, but also by installing 23h2 from scratch, practically the operating system did not see and did not install the drivers of the I226-V because it was not even detected ;( , I had to reinstall the 22h2 from scratch everything works apparently well for now. Tuf Gaming is a new Asus motherboard, a refresh to better support the new i5/i7/i9-14xxx, maybe my problem is due to a youth of the motherboard and the related drivers. (We hope)

bye

0 Kudos
VipeNess
New Contributor I

After installing the latest drivers (W11 - 2.1.3.15) on my MSI MPG Z790 Carbon WiFi (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-Z790-CARBON-WIFI/support#driver), I've encountered issues with the 2.5GB connection.

While I'm able to maintain a stable connection when plugged into a 1GB port, I experience frequent disconnections and reconnections to the internet upon switching to a 2.5GB port, making it unusable.

• Service Namee2fnexpress
  • Device IdPCI\VEN_8086&DEV_125C&SUBSYS_7D891462&REV_04\047C16FFFF7BF1D200
  • Revision04

Please advise.

0 Kudos
Marmbo
Beginner

Asus z790-a prime wifi and originally I had random issues with older drivers, 2.5 GB Connection and Win 10 Pro. Some days it would be fine, sometimes it would randomly disconnect/reconnect. After newer drivers 2.1.1.13? Not 100% Sure) those issues went away. I've since gone to a fresh Windows 11 Pro install and have never had connectivity issues at 2.5 GB. I did however turn off power saving for the network connection/device manager settings. Possibly disabling any power management for the network interface may help?

0 Kudos
VipeNess
New Contributor I

Can someone link to me to the latest driver on Intel's website for the Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I226-V? 

I've looked everywhere on Intel's website for the drivers and they do not exist: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/210588/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe/intel-ethernet-controller-i226-series.html

I even tried downloading the 29.0 Ethernet Package and it is not listed nor does it work. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html

I even ran the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant application on my computer and it still does not provide a link next to the ethernet driver like the other components (see below):

Screenshot 2024-03-26 165606.png

I've also seen that there is an issue with this network controller:

https://www.techpowerup.com/303854/psa-intel-i226-v-2-5gbe-on-raptor-lake-motherboards-has-a-connection-drop-issue-no-fix-available

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Using this search, I am seeing download for Windows 11 driver here. You can also download the full, everything included, package here.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
VipeNess
New Contributor I

I226-V is not listed on the link for either the Windows 11 driver. 

Also the download the full, everything included, does not work either as stated that in my post above.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
The lists on the download pages are not necessarily up to date. The Release Notes list the i226 family as being supported.
...S
0 Kudos
VipeNess
New Contributor I

As you've observed, the release notes indicate support for i226, but upon thorough examination of each folder and file, as well as reviewing the release notes and setup, it's evident that i226 is not supported in the download file. @Cam__Intel Can we get some clarification why it's not included.

0 Kudos
Cam__Intel
Employee

Hello,

The drivers for I226 are available in the Complete Driver Pack download.  They are not called out specifically with a container for "I226", but they are in the PRO2500 container/folder.

If you open the .inf file listed below you will see I226 support.

Download the Complete Driver Pack

Unzip the file "Release_29.0.1.zip"

I226 driver files are contain in the following folders:

Release_29.0.1\PRO2500\Winx64\W11  (File:  e2fn.inf)

Release_29.0.1\PRO2500\Winx64\NDIS68 (File:  e2f.inf)

Release_29.0.1\PRO2500\Winx64\WS2022  (File:  e2f.inf)

I hope that answers your question.

0 Kudos
VipeNess
New Contributor I

Thank you for the clarification. I have switched to using the driver you pointed out and will provide feedback on my experience over the next few days.

To add, the confusion stemmed from the following readme.txt in each folder you shared stating the following:

The driver package supports devices based on the following controllers:
* Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I225

Note that I226 is not listed.

Cam__Intel
Employee

Hello,

It would appear that the readme.txt was never updated.  Thank you for identifying this.  I'll inform our team responsible for the readme and ask them to update it for next release.

Best Regards,

Intel

0 Kudos
Ruda
Beginner

Hello.
His WS2022 folder since version 28.3 is rotten.
I installed it on Windows Server 2022. Look at the diagram below. It's not working.

I226-T1_Propeties.jpg

I looked at the properties of e2f.sys in Explorer. You can confirm that you are using an expired certificate. Can it be used normally even if it contains an expired certificate?

e2f.sys_Propertied_1.jpge2f.sys_Propertied_2.jpge2f.sys_Propertied_3.jpg

[Original Japanese text before Google machine translation]

こんにちは。
バージョン 28.3 以降の WS2022 フォルダーは腐っています。
私は、Windows Server 2022 にインストールしました。下図を見てください。動作していません。
エクスプローラーで e2f.sys のプロパティを見てみました。期限切れの証明書を使っていることが確認できます。期限切れの証明書が含まれていても、正常に使えますか?

0 Kudos
VipeNess
New Contributor I

@Cam__Intel I had installed the driver from that package (Intel 10/3/2023 - 2.1.4.2) and still getting constant disconnects. I verified that EEE was [OFF]. I can only stay connected via 1GB only.  Please advise.

0 Kudos
M4rvin
Beginner

Hello, I still have the same problem, there doesn't seem to be a solution in sight.
I also noticed the fact that the chip isn't even listed in the driver...
I also have the MSI MPG Z790 Carbon WiFi and it doesn't even run at 1GB.
Operating system still Windows 10

0 Kudos