Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4882 Discussions

Intel Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V Connection Drop

Woozie
Beginner

Hi, first of all I would like to thank Intel for producing a great network card. Thanks also to MSI for using this excellent network card in their excellent motherboard.

I'm using the MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR5 model. I just recently built my computer. The I225-V is really a nuisance. Since the first day I built the computer, even though I tested all the drivers of Windows 10-Windows 11 and tried functions such as turning off the power management, it never came to a solution. As a last resort, I'm thinking of sending the motherboard back and getting a new one. This will be a bit of a hassle for me.

Isn't there a solution to this?

intel.jpg

Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V
Network link is disconnected.

Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V
Network link has been established at 1Gbps full duplex.

Driver Version: 2.1.3.3

Windows 11 build version: Windows 11 Pro 22H2 22621.1555

Bios version: AMI BIOS7D32vHB

Cable Modem: Cat8

Internet connection speed: 1gb/2.5gb? 1Gbit

Speed & Duplex: Have you configure to auto or match your internet connection speed? 1.0 Gbps

Note: I even changed the modem in the process. I bought a new modem.

0 Kudos
40 Replies
Faez_Intel

Hi Woozie,

You can find the latest NVM and drivers from our Complete Driver pack from the link below:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Intel-Ethernet-Controller-3-I225-V-Connection-Drop/m-p/1482427#M33160

However, please do note that since you are using an onboard NIC from an OEM board, it would be best to wait until the OEM has released their own version accordingly. This is due to the NIC onboard is design specifically to run on their OEM drivers.

Kindly let us know if you have any other inquiries.

Best regards,

Faez.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Woozie
Beginner
I think the link you provided leads to my location. You mean the place in the link below?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html

I couldn't find the latest version of NVM for Windows here, or rather there is no NVM for I225-V, can you find it?
0 Kudos
Faez_Intel

Hi Woozie,

Good day.

Please do note that updating your OEM board using an Intel NVM file may cause damage to the NIC and the board itself. This is vice versa with your Intel retail card using an NVM version from the OEM brands.

I would advise to contact your OEM accordingly to provide the latest driver and NVM from their end to avoid any further issues.

Best regards,

Faez.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel

Hi Woozie,

Good day. This is a follow up on the thread.

Please do let us know if you have any other inquiries and we will assist you accordingly.

Thanks,

Faez_Intel

0 Kudos
Woozie
Beginner

MSI RESPOND: "Several months ago, we have received the new driver and released it to MSI website, the driver version is 2.1.3.3. Some users can fix the issue with this version of driver. We have also sent this driver download link to you in the first reply. Sorry for the inconvenience caused you!"

It really sucks that we can't find a solution for months.

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel

Hi Woozie,

Good day. Apologies from us for the inconvenience that you faced.

As for now, the fix for this issue is to use the latest drivers that was recently released. For OEM parts, you may crosscheck with them since we have officially launch the latest version of drivers and NVM to mitigate on this matter.

Thanks,

Faez_Intel

0 Kudos
Woozie
Beginner
I installed the driver update you mentioned but the problem persists.

Please get this driver and NVM released by MSI. We have been dealing with nothing but embarrassment for months.
0 Kudos
Woozie
Beginner
MSI respond: “ We have double checked that, we have received latest Intel network driver 2.1.3.3 for this issue and have released it to MSI website. Some users can fix the issue with this version of driver. We are still waiting for new update from Intel. Thank you!”
0 Kudos
Faez_Intel

Hi Woozie,

Good day. We understand your concern regarding on this. Since you are using an onboard NIC with an OEM, it is required to use the NVM released by the OEM as using the generic Intel NVM will not work accordingly with the onboard NIC.

For this matter, please continue to get in touch with the OEM for the latest drivers and NVM releases on the NIC onboard.

Please kindly let us know if you have any other inquiries.

Best regards,

Faez.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Woozie
Beginner

They lead me to you and you to them. A nice and unsuccessful cycle.

From now on when I buy a motherboard, or anything for that matter, I will make sure there is no Intel related part in it.

I don't need any more of your help. But MY PROBLEM IS NOT SOLVED.

0 Kudos
Woozie
Beginner

Release 1.93 NVM for I225-V now! We have been having drop problems for how many months now!

0 Kudos
Woozie
Beginner

Where can I download version 1.93 NVM via Intel?

0 Kudos
Kalima
Beginner

Still no link for 1.93 firmware ? Already opened a support case to Gigabyte without answer

0 Kudos
Woozie
Beginner

There is no NVM update in the complete driver pack for I225-V.

0 Kudos
Kalima
Beginner

Hello,

@Faez_Intel  , 

I just received finally my answer from gigabyte support, I have this issue with my X670E Master and my current firmware is 1.45 ; 

"We do not have new LAN firmware to provide. As mentioned, for the warranty and RMA, you can forward the board to your local dealer"

So gigabyte want my rma for not hardware issue, it's like a joke...

Intel can provide NVM File please ? 

0 Kudos
cneato
Beginner

Hello Woozie and others, thank you for detailing your efforts to fix this issue.

I have an ASUS Rog Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4 motherboard with the Intel I225-V 2.5gbps Ethernet card on my full custom build and I have the same issue that countless others suffer from. I get at best 100mbps on my ethernet connection but usually more like 50-75mbps. When I switch to my Wifi, I get 290-320mbps. Unbelievable, yes, that I get 3x the speed and consistent connection via Wifi rather than a dedicated ethernet cable.

I have tried every fix on the internet, including everything suggested here and other forums, multiple different cables, different modem, different router, everything that ASUS has suggested, which included new drivers, old drivers, turning off Auto-Negotiation, turning off IPV6 Checksum Offload, blah blah blah.

Nothing works. These Intel I225 network cards are defective. What I find incredible is that ASUS CONTINUES TO USE THIS CARD IN THEIR NEWEST MOTHERBOARDS.

The only real solution to this issue? I bought a Realtek ethernet card on Amazon and installed that.

I would highly suggest to anyone else that is looking at doing a new build, that if you see a motherboard with an Intel ethernet card, run far, far away and spend your money elsewhere.

0 Kudos
Buncey
Beginner

This is not encouraging. Reading through the same error, for this amount of time, and Intel just pointing you back to the supplier and telling you, you have to wait for them to release an update.

I'm getting the same error, on an Asus ROG STRIX X670E-F Gaming Wifi MoBo.

Why Asus are using an Intel Ethernet Controller on an AMD Board I'm not really sure. I'm assumed, it meant it was the best one on the market, and when you are spending over $750 for a Mother Board, you expect it to have all the Bells and Whistles and WORK.

0 Kudos
I__Z
Beginner

My connectivity drops and ARPA IP is assigned every 20-24h on static IP, on dynamic IP it's usually longer, but can also happen after an hour.
I have a ticket opened with Intel support and so long I'm not really happy about it...
I've just found this topic. It's over a year old. Still no fix.
Asus X670E-A.

I guess I'll have to find another motherboard, without Intel NIC?

0 Kudos
Woozie
Beginner

Almost a year has passed. But the problem persists in both Windows 10 and Windows 11. Intel hardware and software team cannot solve the problem in any way.

NVM and driver updates did not solve the problem either. I learned that the next time I choose a motherboard, I should stay away from Intel network cards. This is the first time I've ever had this problem.

0 Kudos
Feejus
New Contributor III

@Woozie

I am experiencing the same issue you described. It appears to be a problem with the network interface controller (NIC) at the chipset level. Intel is aware of this issue and has provided a firmware fix, but unfortunately, it has not resolved the problem completely.

Currently, I have an open case with the NUC team (Asus) regarding this issue, as my computer model is the "NUC12I7WSHI." I am experiencing the exact same problem with the NIC disconnecting and reconnecting intermittently. However, I have implemented some measures to mitigate the issue to some extent.

My suggestion would be to download "Intel" own driver for the NIC you got and apply it. Once done you can change many settings so change it accordingly to the below settings.

1. Large Send offload V2 (IPv4) = Disabled
2. Large Send offload V2 (IPv6) = Disabled
3. TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4) = TX Enabled
4. TCP Checksum Offload (IPv6) = TX Enabled
5. Disable "Core Isolation" in Windows 11 (Start search for Core isolation)
6. Set the Duplex to Auto Negotiation
7. Turn off PCI Express power saving under the power option (Edit Power plan --> Change Advanced power settings --> PCI Express --> Link state power mgmt --> off

Here is the official statement from Intel regarding the I225 NIC.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057261/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html

Also you can read more here:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Intel-I225-V-disconnecting-in-Windows-11/td-p/1376227

0 Kudos