Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4946 Discussions

Intel I211 Gigabit Network Connection Network link is disconnected [Event 27]

rusTORK
Beginner

Hello Intel!

I have got this warning "Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection Network link is disconnected" in Event Viewer with Event ID #27.  It happening right after each boot, in fact it's first even of each boot!

During small investigation i find that if i change setting (for example Energy Efficient Ethernet)  in Advanced tab of adapter (in Device Manager) - i have exactly the same message in Event Viewer right after change apply. For me it look's like right after system boot something (maybe specific setting) apply on adapter, it do it thing (turn off\turn on - i don't know) and warning appear in Event Viewer.

So, it's look's like someting do something with adaper after each boot.

Since PROSet no longer are made for I211 for Windows 11 i can't test adaper with tests (i saw pictures\videos about it online). Now only Intel can solve this problem.

Hardware Information from HWiNFO64:

Network Card: Intel I211AT Copper (Pearsonville) Network Adapter

Vendor Description: Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection

Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1539&SUBSYS_85F01043&REV_03

Driver version: 13.0.14.0

Driver Date: 05-Jan-2023

Adapter driver is Intel genuine (from Intel Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack v28.0) since there are no driver on ASUS motherboard support page for Windows 11.

My Hardware\Software\Firmware:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (BIOS v4402)

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 22H2 (Build 22621.1413)

Other information:

Motherboard also have got build-in Realtek 2.5GbE adapter, Intel Bluetooth, Intel Wi-Fi (AX200) - I disable them all in BIOS to clear field from interference and focus on I211 only.

If i disable I211 in BIOS then i obviously don't have Event 27 warning in Event viewer.

Data from SSU is attached to this post (Motherboard + Network). I may do more.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Faez_Intel
Employee

Hi Feliks,

Good day and thank you for the response.

First and foremost we apologize on the delay on this. Thank you for the clarification and I acknowledged my blunder in the statement stating that Windows 11 is not available for the card.

For this matter, as you stated that you have installed the driver from a bigger pack which means you may install it from the generic Intel drivers. Please kindly refer below for the steps that you can take to mitigate the issue:

1) Change Speed/Duplex from Auto-Negotiate to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex to see if there was a negotiation issue

2) Uncheck Power Management option to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power

3) Uncheck Power Management option to Allow this device to wake the computer

Also. does the card connects to a switch? If yes, if the Energy Efficient Ethernet is set to OFF with the switch port enabled, it may caused the connection to be dropped for a while and prompting the event 27 to occurred

Lastly I would recommend a clean driver installation however since you are using an ASUS card which is an OEM from Intel, it's best to check with the manufacturer as the software drivers linked from Intel page are generic versions, and can be used for general purposes. The cards are also configured and tailored to run with the OEM's requirement of the card. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on the OEM system, Intel recommends checking with the OEM and use the software provided via the system manufacturer.

Kindly let us know if you have any other inquiries.

Thanks,

Faez_Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Faez_Intel
Employee

Hi Feliks,

Good day and thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

Understood that you are having an issue with the i211 NIC getting disconnected. For this matter, can you help to elaborate by the meaning It happening right after each boot, does it meant that the NIC will disconnect every time you boot the PC and continues to disconnects? Or was it an intermittent issue where the NIC will sometimes disconnects and reconnect on its own?

As for the drivers, it seems that the ASUS support website for your board model in particular has released the support for Windows 11. Refer to the link below:

https://rog.asus.com/my/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-viii-dark-hero-model/helpdesk_download/

Additionally, may I know when did you noticed of this issue prompting? Was there any recent changes made prior to this issue prompting.

Best regards,

Faez.

Intel Customer Support 

0 Kudos
rusTORK
Beginner

Hello Faez_Intel! Thank you for respond!

>>>For this matter, can you help to elaborate by the meaning It happening right after each boot, does it meant that the NIC will disconnect every time you boot the PC and continues to disconnects?

Let's be crystally clear about this: I have got "Warning message with number 27 in Even Viewer right after each boot of OS". But as soon as i run Google Chrome - connection to internet is working. I am 100% sure it is (connection) exist after warning message, but i not sure it exist before warning message since time window is too small to react or check (few seconds, meybe less). So, connection after warning message exist all the time - i may view YouTube videos\long Twitch streams - no problems detected and no new warnings.

>>>Or was it an intermittent issue where the NIC will sometimes disconnects and reconnect on its own?

No, i don't detected such behaviour.

>>>it seems that the ASUS support website for your board model in particular has released the support for Windows 11.

Negative, can't confirm that. If i select OS - "Windows 11" there are only one driver in "LAN" - "Realtek LAN Driver V10.50.511.2021 for Windows 11 64-bit.(WHQL).". Others are: Intel WIFI Driver V22.190.0.4, Intel Bluetooth Driver(AX200) V22.190.0.2.

No LAN driver for Intel. I check that on ASUS Global Site too.

>>>Additionally, may I know when did you noticed of this issue prompting?

Right after Windows 11 Pro fresh install. It's first installation of OS on this hardware. So, it's basicly "right out of box" which is more weird.

>>>Was there any recent changes made prior to this issue prompting.

No. I still guess that something apply settings on adapter right during boot (some windows services maybe?). I think so, because if i change any of next settings:

1.  Energy Efficient Ethernet to "On if system is awake" or "OFF";

2.  Gigabit Master Slave Mode to "Auto Detect" or "Force Master Mode";

Message in Event Viewer will be exactly the same. Like it's disconnected, but it working fine after. Apply of setting require disconnect (reconnect) of adaper. But for some reason it's happening after each boot and i don't know how (or where) to look what's going on with adaper from press of "Start" button on motherboard till getting warning message.

I may try to install Windows 10 Pro (clean install) on another disk and check if there will be error. That way it will be possible to exclude adapter from equation (if there will no error on boot - problem in Windows 11 Pro or it's services configuration).

Additional Hardware Information:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X;

Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE;

SSD: 500GB Samsung SSD 980 Pro (Installed in top M.2 slot, set as PCIe 4.0 in BIOS);

GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Installed in top PCIe X16 slot);

PSU: 850W Seasonic PRIME Ultra Titanium

0 Kudos
rusTORK
Beginner

Here is a bit more detailed events from Events Viewer:

Windows Logs

Information - 14.04.2023 17:03:38 - Kernel-General - 12 (Windows Start)
Information - 14.04.2023 17:03:40 - Kernel-Power - 172 (Connectivity state in standby: Disconnected, reason: NIC compliance)
Warning - 14.04.2023 17:03:42 - e1rexpress - 27 (Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection Network link is disconnected.)
Information - 14.04.2023 17:03:45 - e1rexpress - 33 (Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection Network link has been established at 100Mbps full duplex.)

I have got ASUS RT-N11P (B1) router which have got maximum speed is 100 Mbps.
0 Kudos
Faez_Intel
Employee

Hi Feliks,

Good day and thank you for clarification.

You may proceed to test it on the Windows 10 environment as the Intel drivers are available for the I211 network card on Windows 10. Refer the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/64404/intel-ethernet-controller-i211at/downloads.html

As for Windows 11 specifically, the drivers are not available for the i211 card as the i211 card is not available in the list of the supported devices for Windows 11. Refer the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/727998/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-microsoft-windows-11.html

Kindly let us know if you have any other inquiries or concerns.

Thanks,

Faez_Intel

0 Kudos
rusTORK
Beginner

Hello Faez_Intel again!

>>>As for Windows 11 specifically, the drivers are not available for the i211 card as the i211 card is not available in the list of the supported devices for Windows 11.

I checked information on page link on which you kindly provided and i am afraid you information might be outdated. Here is why:

1. I tested this drivers too and they installed on my I211 card without problem. Installer have found my card, compare device id with it's own list compatible hardware and installed succesfully. Just as i stated in my first post - my current driver version is 13.0.14.0 from 5th Jan 2023. Later i tested bigger pack (~1GB of size) also from Intel. I thought it may install PROSet, but nope;

2. Another way to confirm (or prooth as you wish) is to take a look in Release Notes (PDF file) on page. If we open page #10 of PDF "Table 4. Supported Operating Systems: Windows Client pcontinued]" it's have got driver name "e1r" and in collumn "Microsoft Windows 11" we can see version of driver - 13.0.14.x;

3. Now we need confirm (prooth) that i211 card "device id" is included in this driver. For that we need to open ZIP folder "Wired_driver_28.0_x64.zip", find there "Wired_driver_28.0_x64.exe" which is also ZIP archive and possible to open with WinZIP\WinRAR (i got WinRAR). There will be few folders, but we need "PRO1000". Inside this folder go to "Winx64" and then "W11".  Inside will be our "e1r.INF" file. Need to open it and take a look what's inside. First what we face after open it will be "e1r.INF (Intel 64 bit extension Platform Only, Windows 11 64 bit)" and list of device IDs. Since we know I211 device ID is "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1539" (8086 - Intel Vendor, 1539 - Device) we may try to find it... and it's there "%E1539NC.DeviceDesc% = E1539.10.0.1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1539". While scrolling down we may find "WINDOWS 11 for 64-bit EXTENDED PLATFORMS" and "Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection". If we keep scroll then it's possible to find next: "WINDOWS 11 BUILD for 64-bit EXTENDED PLATFORMS" and "Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection". There are a lot of that.

So, it's in the driver, installer detect my I211 card, it's install driver for this card and it's working (with code 27 on boot, but working).

I think it's more productive to try find solution for a problem then waste time on false discussion that product don't supported (because if it's not supported - cut if from driver). I belive that in Intel work great engineers, they make all this things after all, and if right people take a look on a problem they find solutiuon even faster then 3 days.

From my side, i am ready to find solution, offer my time on research and test options. Why i need that? Because i know that many other people with such motherboars or such cards on diffirent boards have same problem too and need solution for it.

Main question here - is Intel ready to do same and support their product? Maybe old product, but still working and still their.

0 Kudos
Faez_Intel
Employee

Hi Feliks,

Good day and thank you for the response.

First and foremost we apologize on the delay on this. Thank you for the clarification and I acknowledged my blunder in the statement stating that Windows 11 is not available for the card.

For this matter, as you stated that you have installed the driver from a bigger pack which means you may install it from the generic Intel drivers. Please kindly refer below for the steps that you can take to mitigate the issue:

1) Change Speed/Duplex from Auto-Negotiate to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex to see if there was a negotiation issue

2) Uncheck Power Management option to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power

3) Uncheck Power Management option to Allow this device to wake the computer

Also. does the card connects to a switch? If yes, if the Energy Efficient Ethernet is set to OFF with the switch port enabled, it may caused the connection to be dropped for a while and prompting the event 27 to occurred

Lastly I would recommend a clean driver installation however since you are using an ASUS card which is an OEM from Intel, it's best to check with the manufacturer as the software drivers linked from Intel page are generic versions, and can be used for general purposes. The cards are also configured and tailored to run with the OEM's requirement of the card. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on the OEM system, Intel recommends checking with the OEM and use the software provided via the system manufacturer.

Kindly let us know if you have any other inquiries.

Thanks,

Faez_Intel

0 Kudos
rusTORK
Beginner
>>>First and foremost we apologize on the delay on this.

It's fine. A lot of users, a lot of problems. Everyone of them need attention and solution of their problem - it take time.

>>>Thank you for the clarification and I acknowledged my blunder in the statement stating that Windows 11 is not available for the card.

It's not you mistake to be honest. Someone just forgot to add I211-AT in "This download is valid for the product(s) listed below." list. It's still not added by the way.

>>>1) Change Speed/Duplex from Auto-Negotiate to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex to see if there was a negotiation issue

In Device Manager => Network adapters => Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection properties => Advanced Tab i can select "Speed & Duplex" from "Auto Negotiation" to "1.0 Gbps Full Duplex" in drop down menu, but i must say that my maximum speed is limited by both: my ISP (100Mbps) and ASUS router (same 100Mbps). So, if i set "1.0 Gbps Full Duplex" - i simply don't have internet connection. I waited a bit, but reboot PC later and get no connection to internet after reboot. When i open Event Viewer - error 27 still was there on boot time. I have to gear down "Speed & Duplex" to 100Mbps to get internet connection back.

>>>2) Uncheck Power Management option to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
>>>3) Uncheck Power Management option to Allow this device to wake the computer

I uncheck both options in Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection properties => Power Management and reboot PC.

After reboot i didn't get Event #27 in Event Viewer for first time! This is very BIG progress!

I also tested in "cold boot" condition: Windows Start button => Shut down, then switch power on power supply to "OFF" and wait when all LEDs turn off, press "Start" button on motherboard (to drain energy). Wait a bit and switch power on power supply to "ON" and start PC.

After boot i open Event Viewer and there are NO Event #27! Another success!

Now, it's important to "reproduce problem" to find exact setting which cause this!

>>>does the card connects to a switch? If yes, if the Energy Efficient Ethernet is set to OFF with the switch port enabled, it may caused the connection to be dropped for a while and prompting the event 27 to occurred

I don't know LAN\Network stuff really well, so i don't know what "switch" is or "switch port". I connected one end of Ethernet cable (RJ-45) to motherboard and another end of cable to a wall socket. Inside a wall also cable connected to ASUS RT-N11P (B1) router. No any hardware devices between motherboard and router. Is it some kind of software\hardware setting?

Small Windows 10 test:

When i tested on Windows 10 Home i deleted adapter and installed both: driver and PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility and run Diagnostic: Hardware Tests and Connection Tests. Hardware tests pass without problems, but Connection Test have got "Cable Link Status: Failed". It's description said: "Link speed: 100Mbps. The link partner is not capable of higher speeds.".
0 Kudos
rusTORK
Beginner
Testing (reproduce event):

Base condition settings (no Event #27 on boot):
1. Speed & Duplex: "100Mbps Full Duplex";
2. Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power [Uncheck];
3. Allow this device to wake the computer [Uncheck].

Change "Speed & Duplex" from "100Mbps Full Duplex" to "Auto Negotiation" = Event #27 in Event Viewer right after setting apply
After Shut down PC and then power on = Event #27 in Event Viewer on boot

Change "Speed & Duplex" from "Auto Negotiation" to "100Mbps Full Duplex" = Event #27 in Event Viewer right after setting apply
Check "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in Power Management;
After reboot - NO event #27 in Event Viewer on boot!

Check "Allow this device to wake the computer" in Power Management;
After reboot - NO event #27 in Event Viewer on boot!

Conclusion:

1. Event #27 appear in Event Viewer after setting is changed;
2. Event #27 appear in Event Viewer during negotiation proccess when device don't know maximum speed\dupex and have to connect\disconnect device to find it.

It's also need to note, that post codes are diffirent (end part) during boot proccess for both "Auto Negotiation" and "100Mbps Full Duplex".
And with "100Mbps Full Duplex" setting - there are no "disconnected" network logo on login screen (bottom right corner). It's already connected when i see this screen.

I think at this point problem is solved.
0 Kudos
Faez_Intel
Employee

Hi Feliks,

Good day and thanks for the detailed response.

Glad to hear that the issue was fixed after you have carried out the testing on your end. Do kindly let us know if you still faced any other issues and we will assist you accordingly.

Thanks,

Faez_Intel

0 Kudos