Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4855 Discussions

Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V whats with the (2)?

PMurp4
Valued Contributor II

I have an Asus Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard with the I219-V LAN port but even on a fresh Windows 7 or Windows 10 installation, the port always shows up as having the (2) prefix even though its the only LAN port available and its the first time drivers have been installed for it (for that OS installation after formatting the HDD). The driver version I'm currently using is 12.15.25.6 from earlier this year.

I'm pretty sure that at some stage I've seen it as simply Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I219-V and I'd like to get back to that but how? FWIW the hardware is working fine, I'm just fussy about my system configuration and would like this to be as originally intended.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Flying_Kiwi,

Thank you for posting in Wired Ethernet Community.

You can try to edit the "Friendly name" parameter in the registry of your system to modify the device name.

kindly refer to steps below:

1. Go to the "Details" view of your I219-V in Device manager, select "Driver key" in the drop down option of "Property". You should see value such as {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001

2 Right click on the value and hit "copy".

3. Open registry editor (regedit.exe) and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum and right click and paste the copied value from step# 2.

4. Edit the "FriendlyName" field to your preferred device name.

5. Go back to Device manager and click "Scan for hardware changes". The device name should reflect to the updated one.

It would be best to backup your registry settings prior to making changes. I'd also recommeded to contact Microsoft if you encounter any issue with the registry edit.

Hope this helps.

regards,

Vince

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Flying_Kiwi,

We'd like to check if you still need assistance regarding I219-V.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
PMurp4
Valued Contributor II

Hello Vince,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I do still need help with this one. I managed to do step 1 & 2 fine but where am I supposed to paste the new key for step 3 (specifically)? That's where I get lost so I haven't been able to try out your idea. Any idea why a fresh install of Intel's driver package on a newly installed OS generates the (2) and how the driver installation package itself could perhaps be modified to solve this matter? I've seen several posts in the community where people have thought their Ethernet hardware was actually called (2) I219-V because that's all they've seen it listed as. My other Intel NIC hardware has never had this problem before so I suspect its an issue with the drivers specific to this particular hardware.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Flying_Kiwi,

For step 3, kindly open a command prompt then type in regedit.exe, this will open up the registry editor window.

Before I check further the reason why it uses (2), please share the "Hardware Ids" value of your I219-V located in the "Details" tab of the adapter properties in Device manager. It starts with "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15xx.

regards,

Vince

0 Kudos
PMurp4
Valued Contributor II

G'day Vince,

Thanks again for your further reply. WRT step 3, it wasn't how to open regedit that was the problem, it was where (specifically) to paste the value that I'd copied to the clipboard that was in question.

I've since changed the 'friendly name' of the device by double clicking it and editing it from device manager though so the regedit way wasn't required in the end. Its still less than ideal though and an Intel solution in future drivers would be ideal. The PCI ID details of the Ethernet hardware are shown in this screenshot:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Flying_Kiwi, Glad to know you're able to change the "Friendly name" of your network device. For the default "Friendly name" after driver installation, let me check this further and get back to this thread.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Flying_Kiwi, Good day! I've already provided your feedback regarding the "Friendly name" to our engineering team, will post update in this thread once available. Please let me know if you have other assistance needed. Thanks.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
PMurp4
Valued Contributor II

Many thanks for your on going input Vince. The issue has been with Intel Engineers for some time now - do you have an idea when there'll either be new drivers that address this issue or a full explanation please?

I don't really feel my question has been answered yet (despite your helpful input) so sorry I can't yet mark the thread accordingly.

BHens
Beginner

Hello, I am having a similar issue with the Inetl(R) Ethernet Connection (2) 1219-V name. I changed the friendly name as mentioned earlier but then I went to update drivers an the name changed back to the one with the (2) in it. And it seems I cannot get a current driver for this device to install. I am having issues because it seems to be blocking me from using certain apps and getting to certain websites when using and Ethernet connection.

The driver it keeps "updating to" is

Driver date: 3/21/2017

Driver Version: 12.15.25.6

Thank you.

0 Kudos
BHens
Beginner

Hello, I am having a similar issue with the Inetl(R) Ethernet Connection (2) 1219-V name. I changed the friendly name as mentioned earlier but then I went to update drivers an the name changed back to the one with the (2) in it. And it seems I cannot get a current driver for this device to install. I am having issues because it seems to be blocking me from using certain apps and getting to certain websites when using and Ethernet connection.

The driver it keeps "updating to" is

Driver date: 3/21/2017

Driver Version: 12.15.25.6

Thank you.

0 Kudos
PMurp4
Valued Contributor II

It looks very much like this naming bug is a common issue. My PC is currently in storage as I've relocated from England to Scotland so I can't test access to any particular websites etc but you may wish to check any firewalls and/or antivirus software installed on the PC to ensure they're not responsible for the 'non-access'.

The silence from Intel has been deafening on this naming matter and I think its reasonable at this stage to expect a full statement from them. What do you have to say for yourselves about this please Intel Corporation?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Flying_Kiwi, I've confirmed that this will be addressed in the future software release.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
PMurp4
Valued Contributor II

Hello again Vince,

Thanks for confirming this will be addressed in 'the future' driver software release. Am I being overly presumptuous in assuming this should be along within a couple of weeks in the very next public release of Intel PROSet for Wired Networks? I realise that you said you'd keep this thread updated but this is the first time I've seen confirmation that this will actually be addressed by Intel. Can I additionally confirm that the fix will also be in future such releases for both x86 (32 bit) & x64 versions of all Windows versions from 7 through to the latest builds of Windows 10 and that Intel will liaise with Microsoft to ensure Windows update will automatically download or update to these 'fixed' drivers? The last thing we need is Microsoft trying to undo such a fix via Windows Update.

Thanks again for the confirmation that Intel will address this, your further clarification about the above will also be appreciated.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Flying_Kiwi,

latest update from engineering reveals that the naming of the I219-V in device manager is tied to the branding string that the device was given. If we look into the .inf file of I219-V driver (e1d65x64), different device ID of I219-V has different device name (2), (4), (5). This is working as intended and not an issue. Sorry for the confusion.

Regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
PMurp4
Valued Contributor II

Hi Vince and Intel Corp,

Thanks for the update. I also own an Intel based tablet which uses WiFi hardware made by a different company. This WiFi hardware also comes in different 'customised' versions, depending on the OEMs requirements with subtle changes accordingly. Although the different entries within the associated inf files permit the operation of this hardware according to the customised characteristics/specifications, the hardware is still fundamentally the same chipset from this manufacturer and as such, its is still identified as such. If anyone (such as people working in a tech support capacity) wants to find out if there's any OEM customisation involved, this is easy to ascertain through the hardware id and other info in the same section of device manager.

You mentioned the current situation is as intended. I put it to you and Intel Corp that what you label 'as intended' differs to what users expect and just as importantly, to what guidance on writing inf files dictates (ie clear descriptions of products). I have experience with writing/customising an info file (albeit for a modem and not ethernet hardware) but the principle remains the same. Using a 'code number' can be no substitute for actually stating any significant difference or if the difference isn't significant then simply relegating that difference to something which can be discovered through a little deeper investigation as mentioned above.

I'm intrigued to see you've labelled the fact that the device may be identified with a (2) prefix by default as 'not a problem' given this is commonly something which occurs after multiple instances of drivers having been loaded. What thought have Intel's developers given to this possibility? Are you happy to have your users of such devices thinking there are problems with their installation as a result? I don't have access to my PC currently so can't check but what about the possibility that someone does end up with multiple driver installations of such a device. How can their Ethernet hardware being identified in Device Manager as (2)(2)I219-V or (2)(4)I219-V etc not be a problem?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Flying_Kiwi, Appreciate your feedback regarding the device name, I've already relayed this to our engineering team.

regards,

Vince
0 Kudos
RFili1
Novice

Hi,

This is a source of confusion not yet addressed. Is Intel deliberately ignoring us? ​

0 Kudos
WAnde6
Beginner

My issue may or may not be related to the (2) in the name, but I'm hoping someone here can help. I'm running an Asus X299-A system with its Intel Network Adapter. I'm running Win10 64-bit and I've updated the LAN driver to the latest I can find, v22.9.16.0. Like others here, my device shown in Device Manager contains the (2). I can live with the unexplained (2) in the name, but I'm pulling my hair out over an intermittent problem with connection on boot: sometimes -- rarely I admit, but often enough to have me looking for an answer -- I find at logon that I can connect to only a few websites and others are unavailable. I've learned from experience that at this point I need to look at my network connection which will now be named "Network 2" instead of the normal "Network." With that confirmed, I've learned to go into Device Manager, look under Network Adapters, uninstall the Intel Ethernet Connection (2), open Action/Scan for Hardware Changes, and with the scan complete I will have my "Network" connection back and functioning normally without the "2." This happens once every 20 boots or so, and I have no idea what to do about it. As I'm grasping at straws, I'm wondering if the "(2)" in the network adapter's name can be confusing the LAN driver as it tries to make a connection at boot? Maybe? Any other ideas? Thanks.

0 Kudos