Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

Intel X520 installed - PC doesnt boot

ChaosEmpire
Beginner

Hello

I bought for Intel X520 adapters used.
One has the blue genuine Logo sticker, this one works in my NAS and also in my PC

The other 3 cards look exactly the same, but they dont have that sticker
AND I have trouble with all of them

When i place it in my NAS, the nas only flashes blue led, never starts

When I place in my very old HP Workstation (around same age, than the adapter production date on label) the machine beeps 5 times which means,memory issues

When I place it in a more recent PC the machine starts, but before BIOS Logo gets displayed, it automatically restarts

The seller wont take them back and says he sold 70 before and no one has had issues

Google seems to have several hits with x520 and not booting after installing
but they all fixed it by disabling some stuff in ROM

But how can i do this, when i cant get the pc booting with the card installed?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello ChaosEmpire,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We would like to confirm if all 3 units that you have are experiencing the same issues on your NAS, old HP Workstation and on your newer PC?

Also we would be needing to check the 3 units that you have mentioned and we will be asking for you to submit a photo along with their markings (serial no. & part no.) for us to check if this is indeed a genuine adapter of intel. We will be sending you a separate email for this where you can attach the photo of the 3 units. Awaiting to hear from you soon. 

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello ChaosEmpire,

Thank you for providing us the photos that we have asked and for giving us a brief explanation of the issue that you are getting. 

As per checking on the markings of the 3 units that you have, this seems to be a 3rd party unit since it doesn't have a YottaMark or BradyID sticker (the blue sticker) and the since the PBA (part no.) "G73131" this seems to a Dell unit. 

Since this is a 3rd party unit we have limited support on this however we will try to check first what we can further advise you before we refer you to them.

Please provide us about 2-3 business days to further check on your concern. Once we have all the information that we need we will notify you as soon as possible. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
ChaosEmpire
Beginner

thanks for the quick reply
this means the seller has fooled me, as I told him, I need Intel adapters not Dell ones, as Dell adapters are known to provide issues with Synology and Qnap NAS
and as it seems, also with "older" PCs

My own testing and a description on the QNAP page leads to memory addressing issues, as far as I can interpret this
qnap wrotes its with a "newer" version of intel x520
while synology just says intel x520 compatible, except dell oem version

so whatever DELL has done in the firmware it causes conflicts outside of a dell server

google lead to an issue with an activated intel boot agent,

i dont know how to disable this (without a dell server)

Looking forward to more information

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello ChaosEmpire,

We regret to inform you that we have limited support for these cards and unfortunately we are not able to provide any troubleshooting steps for the issue at hand. The best source of support for this will be the OEM manufacturer which is Dell. 

For additional information regarding about Intel Ethernet Adapters, this should have a YottaMark* or BradyID* Stickers, please see link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007074/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-adapters-up-to-2-5gbe.html

You may also want to check this again with your seller as it is not working on two desktop systems which is quite unusual. We do apologize if we cant assist you further, do you have any other concerns that we can assist you instead?

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello ChaosEmpire,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We would like to check if you have any additional questions or clarifications on this request so we would know if we can already close the thread. 

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello ChaosEmpire,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos