Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4923 Discussions

Intel X550-T2 - Nothing above 1Gb - Part 2

Keeop
Beginner

Hi,

This is a follow up to my original post which was closed down before I could shut my server down and put this NIC back in it to test again.....

Anyway, I still can't get 2.5Gb from this card in my Windows Server 2019 box. As per the original post, I did get it to work on a Windows 10 machine using the same switch. So, this tends to suggest it is a driver issue? 

Please advise if it's still worth running that utility and uploading the output.

As things stand, I can only get 1Gb no matter what I do on this server.  If someone else picks this up other than Irwan, please can you refer back to the original post to get the full history of this?

Cheers.

Chris

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Irwan_Intel

Hi Keeop,

I'm sorry you still having this issues. I will proceed to investigate further with our Engineering team.

I will update you soonest possible but no later than 3 business day. Thank You.

Best Regards,

Irwan_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hi Keeop,

Apologize, the documentation Articles 000030131 provided to you is not accurate and needs modifications. Auto-negotiation functionality was changed in Release 25.4 for all supported OS's including Windows 10 and Windows Server 2019.

You no longer need to run the utility since its not a driver issue but design that disable the speed auto-negotiation.

In certain scenarios, where default behavior was to advertise 2.5 Gbps and 5 Gbps, you saw failures to establish the link. But you wont see the failure if both of these speeds are excluded from auto-negotiation.

It was decided to DISABLE these two speeds from auto-negotiation when the driver initializes but still give an end user means to enable them manually.

If you chooses the 2.5 or 5Gb speeds on both Windows 10 and Server 2019 they should connect.

If that still does not help, please make sure the ethernet updated to the latest NVM and drivers for Windows Server 2019.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19372/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-windows-server-2019.html?wapkw=X550-T2

Feel free to let us know if you have questions or clarifications. 

We look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Irwan_Intel

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Keeop
Beginner

Hi Irwan,

There may be some confusion here. I am not connecting a Windows 10 machine to a Windows 2019 Server. Please see below for clarifications:

• NIC in Windows Server 2019 connected to Unifi 2.5Gb supporting switch - cannot get any speed other than 1Gb. If I manually change the speed on either the NIC or switch from auto to 2.5Gb, I get no connection at all
  • NIC in Windows 10 machine connected to same switch - setting the NIC to 2.5Gb results in a connection at 2.5Gb

So:

• Windows 2019 - NOT WORKING
  • Windows 10 - WORKING

To get it working in Windows 10, I did have to change the NIC from auto to 2.5Gb specifically. The switch I could leave on auto.

Therefore, it appears that it's an issue with the Windows 2019 driver? Please advise if you would like me to run the utility to let you see the file output. Both driver and firmware are the latest versions that I could find on your web site.

Cheers.

Keeop

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hi keeop,

My apologize, I have forwarded this case to our engineering team and awaits their feedback.

Meanwhile, May I know if your current firmware for Windows Server 2019 already updated to v28.0?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19372/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-windows-server-2019.html

Regards,

Irwan_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Keeop
Beginner

Hi Irwan,

No worries!!

Could you please tell me the easiest way to get the firmware version from the NIC? I had updated it but can't find the source I used so can't get the version from that and have no idea how to get the version from querying the NIC itself.

Cheers.

Keeop

0 Kudos
Keeop
Beginner

Hi Irwan,

I double checked and hadn't installed v28 - only 27.8 so I have now installed this. Didn't seem to have made any changes though as drivers are still:

Driver Version:"4.1.246.2"

I also found the firmware update files I used:

Network_Firmware_23WP1_WN64_20.0.16_A00

Can you please confirm if this is the latest version and if not, please provide a link to the latest version?

Cheers.

Keeop

0 Kudos
Keeop
Beginner

Actually, I'm not sure if I applied this firmware - Network_Firmware_23WP1_WN64_20.0.16_A00 - as it mentions Dell and I'm pretty sure I would only have used a generic Intel one. Really need a way to query the firmware version on the card, please.

Cheers.

Keeop

0 Kudos
Keeop
Beginner

Right, I used this:

X550_NVMUpdatePackage_v3_60

0 Kudos
Keeop
Beginner

Hi Irwan,

This is interesting. I reinstalled the Proset software to get the Powershell applets reinstalled. On running the Get-IntelNetAdapter, I get the following output:

DriverVersion : 4.1.246.2
ETrackID : Not Supported
NVMVersion : Not Supported

However, I have read through the NVM document and found the command to use to get info from there. So, finally (!) I can give you the current firmware version installed....

ETrackId : 8000172E
SerialNumber : 9FC3B5FFFF480000
NVM Version : 3.96(3.60)

Hopefully that means something to you and will help in the troubleshooting with this.

Cheers.

Keeop

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hi keeop,

Apologize for the late reply, our Engineering may need more time to further troubleshoot this case. But worries not, I will follow up with you once we have the latest respond and feedback.

You could try using this command in the PowerShell to check the driver version.

Get-NetAdapter | Select Name, InterfaceDescription,DriverVersion, DriverDate, DriverProvider

Best Regards,

Irwan_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Keeop
Beginner

Hi Irwan,

Thanks. Yeah, that only gives me the driver version rather than the current firmware, which is, 4.1.246.2. Do you have a utility/exe that I can run to get the firmware version from the card too? I can only find information on getting it on Linux systems rather than Windows.

Cheers.

Keeop

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hi keeop,

Greeting!

Our next level still need sometimes to check this issue. I will update you once we have their feedback.

You can try Intel SSU Utility to gather/ scan system and devices information.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html

In case there's no respond, I will follow up in 3 business days. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Irwan_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Keeop
Beginner

Hi Irwan,

I have run the utility and posted the output pertaining to port 1 of the NIC for you - hopefully you can find everything you need in there.

Cheers.

Keeop

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hi Keeop,

Our next level responded that the drivers for Server 2019 and Windows 10 1809 and above are the same code. As such they should both be working the same, unless there is something different in the OS versions.

Could you also please do some additional tests and share results.

• Please test connections at 2.5Gb and 5Gb with the switch port set at Autonegotiate and also hard coded to the speed if possible.

Looking forward to your reply

Best Regards,

Irwan_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Keeop
Beginner

Hi Irwan,

• NIC in Windows Server 2019 connected to Unifi 2.5Gb supporting switch - cannot get any speed other than 1Gb. If I manually change the speed on either the NIC or switch from auto to 2.5Gb, I get no connection at all
  • NIC in Windows 10 machine connected to same switch - setting the NIC to 2.5Gb results in a connection at 2.5Gb

Switch only supports 1Gb or 2.5Gb so cannot test 5Gb, but the results would assumedly be the same as above.

Cheers.

Keeop

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hi Keeop,

Sorry for keeping you waiting, our Engineering team still require time to check this case.

Could you also please provide us with the brand and model of the 2.5Gbps Switch that you use?

Regards,

Irwan_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Keeop
Beginner

Hi Irwan.

No worries.

The switch is a Unifi - one of these: USW-Enterprise-8-PoE

The cable modem I have also has a 2.5Gb port on it though, and connecting the NIC to this still only results in 1Gb negotiated speed, rather than 2.5Gb.

Cheers.

Keeop

ps did you see my replies to the earlier driver/firmware posts above?

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hi Keeop,

Thanks for the driver version provided and Switch model. 

According to our next level , This is not an authentic Intel NIC adapter.

When going through the NIC information,

MM# on label is not correct

PB# on the board is not correct

No Yottamark or BradyID

Labels are the wrong font and style

This is likely the reason that it is not working correctly with the Windows Server 2019 drivers.

Best Regards,

Irwan_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Keeop
Beginner

Ouch, really?? **bleep**, I paid good money for that but as it was so long ago, I have no recourse. I should have tested it all sooner I guess.

OK, thanks. That sort of explains it. I mean, it works in Windows 10 OK so I guess I will keep it and potentially use it in a Win 10 machine if required.

So, I will need to buy another. Can you please advise on what I need to check for to make sure it's a proper NIC? i.e. can you explain your reply in more detail regarding the numbers and labels etc.? I can't afford to be stung twice!

Cheers.

Keeop

0 Kudos
Keeop
Beginner

Hi Irwan,

Can you also please do me a favour and take a look at the X550 daughterboard I purchased? I don't want to have to go through the pain of replacing the existing one with this X550 one, if it is not a proper Intel one and will suffer the same problems!

Pictures enclosed, thanks.

Cheers.

Keeop

0 Kudos