Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4965 Discussions

Minimum latency possible on X710 without kernel bypass?

Centos7
Beginner

I'm wondering what kind of minimum tx/rx latency (TCP) we can expect from the X710. So far, I've been able to tune it down to 26us as measured with netperf from a direct connected server. However, it's clear that it can go faster as I'm observing that packets which are sent subsequent to the first one (within a few seconds, it appears) have a latency as low as 4us.

I am looking for OS level tuning opportunities only, as I do not have access to the low-level networking code within my application.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Irwan_Intel

Hi Centos7,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

There are two internal document regarding the performance including latency for Fortville ( X710-DA4).

But this requires CDNA and RDC access.

Content ID: 601404

Content ID: 608776

Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) is a contract between two or more parties that are used to ensure that certain information will remain confidential.

In order to better assist you, we recommend for you to provide below information:

1)Do you have an NDA signed with Intel previously?

Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up on Feb 10th 2023.

Best Regards,

Irwan_Intel

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Centos7
Beginner

I've signed up for a Developer Zone account as requested.

I will note however that this kind of barrier for simple performance tuning recommendations for a NIC I am already using is unacceptable. If need be, I'll purchase a comparable NIC for which this information is readily available.

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hi Centos7,

Apologies for the inconveniences caused, the files was not available on public sites thus its require NDA for it.

Please find the document link below, Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions or clarifications. 

Content ID: 601404

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/secure/design/internal/content-details.html?DocID=601404

Content ID: 608776

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/secure/design/internal/content-details.html?DocID=608776

Best Regards,

Irwan_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hello Centos7,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just sending a follow up if you have any questions from the previous post. If so, please let us know.

In case we do not hear from you, I will make a follow up on February 17th 2023 . Thank you.

Best regards,

Irwan_Intel

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Centos7
Beginner

We ended up pulling the Intel NIC as it just wasn't fast enough and Intel wouldn't provide us with information on how to further tune it.

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hi Centos7

I'm sorry if the information and document provided previously was not useful for you.

Please let me know how can I assist you further.

Best Regards,

Irwan_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hi Centos7,

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Irwan_Intel

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos