Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

Onboard IC Realtek RTL8111-GR Gigabit Ethernet Controller burnt

idata
Employee

Hi,

I have a Intel DG31PR motherboard and it has this Realtek RTL8111-GR Gigabit Ethernet Controller on board.

One day when i was trying to connect to the internet i found that my LAN connection is down. I checked with the ISP and they said everything is ok from their side. Then I checked with my hardware vendor and he said that he onboard IC is burnt.

The vendor says that since this is a physical damage the board cannot be replaced though the Motherboard is under warranty.

I would like to know :

1: what is ment by physical damage

2: how does the physical damage of this kind happen

3: If the IC burnt then there must have been some fault in the circuitry of the board as it could not prevent the IC from burning.

4: Can my motherboard be replaced since it is under warranty

5: How to derermine if the IC is actually burnt

Thanks in advance

Sachin

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

1: what is ment by physical damage when you can see it is physically damaged as opposed to electronically, so in your case one would assume you would be able to see burn marks.

2: how does the physical damage of this kind happen...no clue

3: If the IC burnt then there must have been some fault in the circuitry of the board as it could not prevent the IC from burning. ...possibly....

4: Can my motherboard be replaced since it is under warranty, it will all depend if intel will consider it as customer induced damge or not. the only thing you can do is give intel support a call and see.

5: How to derermine if the IC is actually burnt, have a look on the actual motherboard and see if you can see any sort of damage, i would definately suggest you do thi.