Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4888 Discussions

Regarding NIC Firmware and RDMA Installation

Sushrut
Beginner
I am using NIC Card: E810XXVDA2 and our current firmware-version is 2.10 0x80004341 1.2789.0 on this I have updated ice driver version 1.8.9 and using Red Hat Operating System.
I was are tying to configure RDMA, and faced some issues.
I was referring document 608515-002 and was unable to detect any devices under ivb_devices. What is the process to make ivb_devices visible? Is a firmware update necessary to make ivb_devices visible?
If firmware needs to updated, what procedure should be followed for the same?

Commands
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Sushrut,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Sushrut,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We would like to first ask if you are using a discreet NIC for your E810XXVDA2 or would this be an embedded controller that your mother board is using? 

If you are using a discreet NIC, please provide us a photo of the markings both front and back of your network adapter for us to validate if you are using a retail or an OEM network adapter. 

If you are using an embedded controller please provide us the exact model of your mother board instead. 

Also just needing to know are you encountering any connection issues? 

And can we also ask why are you tying to configure the RDMA? What would be your purpose or main objective so that we can also provide some recommendations.

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Sushrut
Beginner
Hi,

We would like to first ask if you are using a discreet NIC for your E810XXVDA2 or would this be an embedded controller that your mother board is using? 
We are using discreet NIC.
  1. Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter E810-XXVDA2
    Link: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/189760/intel-ethernet-network-adapter-e810xxvda2.html
  2. Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter E810-CQDA2
    Link: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/192558/intel-ethernet-network-adapter-e810cqda2.html
FYI: We have both Ethernet Network Adapter (25GbE & 100GbE)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you are using a discreet NIC, please provide us a photo of the markings both front and back of your network adapter for us to validate if you are using a retail or an OEM network adapter.

• We don't have access to the server, so we cannot provide picture of the NIC Card. 
    Instead we are providing the picture of the product code and other details of both 25GbE and 100GbE below.06-07-22, 3_06 PM Microsoft Lens1.jpeg06-07-22, 3_06 PM Microsoft Lens.jpeg

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you are using an embedded controller please provide us the exact model of your mother board instead. 

•  No not using embedded controller.

Also just needing to know are you encountering any connection issues?
  • We just wanted to know the procedure of connections ​.

And can we also ask why are you tying to configure the RDMA? What would be your purpose or main objective so that we can also provide some recommendations.
  • We are trying to configure RDMA for bench marking.

Regards,
Sushrut Bhokre
0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Sushrut,

Thank you for providing and answering the questions that we have asked. Please provide us some time to have this check before we provide you our recommendations. Would it be okay if we can ask you to provide us between 2-3 business days? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Sushrut,

We would like to confirm if you have already installed the Linux RDMA driver? If not, please install the driver using the link below. 

Linux* RDMA Driver for the E810 and X722 Intel® Ethernet Controllers

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19632/linux-rdma-driver-for-the-e810-and-x722-intel-ethernet-controllers.html

The instructions on how to build and install is in the readme files listed on the link above. You can find it in the middle of the page.

Also, just to make sure of the feature "ivb_devices" that you are referring by any chance are you referring instead on "ibv_devices"? Since you might be inputting the wrong command based on our RDMA Config guide on page 9 table 4.5. Please refer to the config guide that we have attached as well. 

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Sushrut
Beginner

Hi,

Referred to the link sent in the previous mail, we are able to see ibv_devices and irdma is also installed successfully.

image.png

Now, in the next step should we enable Link Level Flow Control (LLFC) / Priority Flow Control (PFC) for our rdma configuration?

If yes, what is the difference between  LLFC/PFC and without LLFC/PFC RDMA Configuration and is there any performance delta?

If yes, can you guide us how to proceed with the same? 

Regards,
Sushrut Bhokre
0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Sushrut,

We are glad to hear that you are now able to see the ibv_devices and able to install the rdma successfully.

For your follow up concern regarding if you should enable LLFC or PFC and their difference please provide us some time to further so we can provide you an accurate information. Would it be okay if we can provide you an update between 2-3 business days? If you have a preferred date please let us know. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Sushrut
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid,

No I don't have any preferred date please take your time.

Regards,
Sushrut Bhokre
0 Kudos
Sushrut
Beginner
0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Sushrut,

We do apologize for the delay, as per further checking please refer to our support article "Configuration Guide for Intel® Ethernet 800 Series Linux* Flow Control for RDMA Use Cases" on the link below as this article also explains the difference between LFC and PFC as well as the configuration steps for each type on Intel Ethernet 800 series. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000088691/ethernet-products/800-series-network-adapters-up-to-100gbe.html

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Sushrut,

We'd like to know if you have any other questions or clarifications please let us know so we would know if we can close the thread.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Sushrut,

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos