Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4888 Discussions

The NAL service failed to start

genfoch01
Novice

I am seeing this in my system log 

The NAL service failed to start due to the following error:
A certificate was explicitly revoked by its issuer.

This happens with every boot. 

my rig 

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 11 Enterprise

OS Version: 10.0.22621 N/A Build 22621

Intel network connections 23.0.12.0 

EDIT: should have added my nic info 

[01]: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz

[02]: Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection
                      Connection Name: Ethernet
                      DHCP Enabled: Yes
            [03]: VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter
                     Connection Name: Ethernet 2
                     DHCP Enabled: No

best I was able to find NAL is Intel Network Connections service which appears to be installed with the  iqvw64e.sys driver, though there is a lot of confusion if this is added in during the iqvw64e.sys driver installation or if this is the iqvw64e.sys driver. 

I found this  on reddit :

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/xx3oya/22h2_vulnerable_intel_nic_driver_iqvw64esys/

which indicates 

a) this service may not be compatible with windows 11 

https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/support/articles/000087483/ethernet-products.html

b) a solution seems to be just to uninstall Intel Network Connections to fix the issue. 

can anyone shed some light on how I should proceed? 

thanks for your time, 

Genfoch01

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Irwan_Intel

Hi genfoch01,

If the Intel Network Connection software is installed using the default settings, then both the PROset and ANS components will be included.

If you're certain that you won't need the Intel network drivers, you can select the option to remove all drivers. This will ensure that all network-related software and drivers associated with the Intel Network Connection Software are removed from your system.

However, if you're using an Intel network adapter or you're not sure if you'll need the Intel network drivers, it's best to leave this option unchecked. Removing the drivers could cause network connectivity issues, and you may need to reinstall the drivers to restore connectivity. If you're not sure whether you need the drivers or not, it's better to be caution and keep them installed.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Irwan_Intel

Intl Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Irwan_Intel

Hi genfoch01,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities.

In order for us to investigate the issue further, please provide the following details.

1) what is the model of the system?

2) Could you please verify the driver version installed for the Adapter?

3)Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or this purchased separately?

Meanwhile, this is Intel Ethernet Adapter link for complete driver pack that you may download for the latest Ethernet adpater drivers.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html

Please let us know if you have further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Irwan_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
genfoch01
Novice

1) what is the model of the system?

from msinfo32 : System Model X570 Taichi

this is not a prebuilt. 

the X570 Taichi  has a built in Wi-Fi (which i am not using and is disabled in bios) and a 1gb ethernet port

device manager says the driver  ethernet port is 12.19.1.32 6/24/21

the Wi-Fi driver is 22.200.0.6 1/17/23

the VirtualBox host ethernet is 7.0.6.5176  1/11/23

i downloaded the new drivers from your link. 

now device manager says the driver  ethernet port is 13.0.14.0 1/5/23

the Wi-Fi driver was not changed. 

I rebooted the system and still the the error in event viewer. 

let me know if there is any information you need. 

Thanks for your time,

Genfoch

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Greetings genfoch01,

Regarding our latest update, the error you're experiencing with The NAL service failed to start due to the following error: A certificate was explicitly revoked by its issuer.

This is occurring because Windows 11 is incompatible and not supported with Intel® PROSet and Intel® Advanced Network Services (Intel® ANS).

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000087483/ethernet-products.html

Microsoft Windows 10 is the final Microsoft Windows Operating System to support Intel PROSet and Intel ANS.

Please let us know if you have further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Irwan

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
genfoch01
Novice

thanks for the reply, 

I saw that link but could not infer from it what I needed to uninstall. Are PROSet and ANS part of (or all of )  Intel Network Connections service or are they something else I need to uninstall ? 

Thanks,

Genfoch

0 Kudos
genfoch01
Novice

if they are  PROSet and ANS part of (or all of )  Intel Network Connections service great that answers part of the question but when I look into uninstalling the Intel Network Connections service app it gives a pop up asking if I want to removed all drivers for wired connections, which I am pretty certain I don't want to do.  Any clarification would be helpful 

genfoch01_0-1681051741425.png

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hi genfoch01,

If the Intel Network Connection software is installed using the default settings, then both the PROset and ANS components will be included.

If you're certain that you won't need the Intel network drivers, you can select the option to remove all drivers. This will ensure that all network-related software and drivers associated with the Intel Network Connection Software are removed from your system.

However, if you're using an Intel network adapter or you're not sure if you'll need the Intel network drivers, it's best to leave this option unchecked. Removing the drivers could cause network connectivity issues, and you may need to reinstall the drivers to restore connectivity. If you're not sure whether you need the drivers or not, it's better to be caution and keep them installed.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Irwan_Intel

Intl Customer Support

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hello genfoch01, 

I wanted to follow up and ask if there is anything else we can assist you with regarding your case. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns so we can help you further.

Regards,

Irwan_Intel

0 Kudos
genfoch01
Novice

Thanks for the follow up.  I had to remove Intel Network Connections service which also uninstalled my ethernet driver.  ( I did expect that but was not sure getting rid of PROset and ANS required it ) Then I reinstalled using the latest driver from the link you provided.  

I think i'll try getting in touch with Asrock as the windows 11 driver package included  PROset and ANS. 

I have rebooted twice and have not seen the "NAL service failed to start " message so I think i'm good. 

Thank you so much for the help. 

GF

0 Kudos