Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Windows 10 1809 - i219 and i211 NIC teaming not available?

ZM1
Beginner

Hello, my Windows 10 was updated to 1809 today. I downloaded the latest Intel Ethernet drivers available (23.5) and am no longer seeing the Teaming option in the network adapter's properties in Device Manager. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers which didn't fix it. Was the teaming option moved, or is it no longer available? I didn't see any mention of that in the release notes, so I'm not sure what is going on. Everything else on my comp is up to date.

0 Kudos
39 Replies
DFrie3
Beginner

To add another data point...

I have a Lenovo T480 with the I219-V Ethernet adapter. I had VLAN and teaming working before with Windows 10 1803. After updating to 1809 today, I lost those options. I even used Lenovo Vantage to make sure all of my firmware and BIOS was up to date. I went and downloaded the PROWinx64.exe 23.5. and updated the drivers since it said it was 1809 compatible. I still do not have access to VLANs and teaming. When I go look for the drivers to install manually...the latest driver I see is the one from 10/4/2018...12.18.8.4...which obviously isn't the one from December.

0 Kudos
ZM1
Beginner

Just an update. Did a fresh install of 1809. Still no teaming option in device manager,

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee

Hello ZM1,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. The Teaming and VLAN features in PROSet for Windows device manager have moved, as Windows 10 1809 and later no longer supports this function. Please use PowerShell to create teams. See the release notes under "Advanced Network Services (ANS), Teaming and VLAN configuration":

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031823/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html?wapkw=23.5+release

The PowerShell commands for Intel PROSet are described in the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023545/network-and-i-o.html

We have found for some users PowerShell works best if 23.2 or 23.4 is installed on the system first, and 23.5 is installed on top of it without uninstalling 23.2 or 23.4. To create a Team in PowerShell use the following:

1. Open Windows Powershell as administrator.

2. Import the PROSet Powershell* module using this command: Import-Module -Name "

C:\Program

Files\Intel\Wired Networking\IntelNetCmdlets\IntelNetCmdlets"

3. Type "Get-IntelNetAdapter" to display the name of your network adapter.

4. Type "New-IntelNetTeam" to initiate the creation of a Team.

5. PowerShell will prompt for more information to configure the Team. It is normal for it to hang 30 seconds to a minute, but let us know if PowerShell hangs longer or provides an error.

Let us know if you have any questions.

@DFrie3​  This should also work for you, but the VLANs will unfortunately have to be reconfigured in PowerShell. 12.18.8.4 is still the latest driver for the I219-V. For step 4 use "Add-IntelNetVLAN". "ParentName" should be exactly as the adapter is displayed in "Get-IntelNetAdapter".

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
ZM1
Beginner

Daniel, thanks the reply. I ended up going the Powershell route before I saw your reply :/. Glad to see a confirmation though, I had no issue doing it with just 23.5 on top.

I did notice in the adapter settings that the Intel Advanced Network Services Protocol is unchecked. When I go to check it and apply the setting, Windows tells me that "Your current selection will also disable the following features: Intel Advanced Network Services Protocol. Are you sure you want to disable these feature(s)?" I'm assuming this is a bug?

0 Kudos
DFrie3
Beginner

Wasn't trying to hijack ZM1's post, but thanks.

This did not work. Maybe I did something wrong...here is my step by step below:

For my the VLAN aspect only, I opened Powershell as an admin and did steps 1 and 2 no problem. Steps 3 and 4 are below:

1. Get-IntelNetAdapter
  • Which I then copied "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (4) I219-V" from under the name column.
  1. Add-IntelNetVLAN
  • ParentName[0]:, which I pasted in the name I copied from step 1 above.
    • ParentName[1]:, which I just pressed enter on.
    • VLANID[0]:, which I typed in just the integer "15".
    • VLANID[1]:, which I just pressed enter on.
    • I then got the following error:
      • Failed to add one or more of the specified VLAN IDs.
      • At line 1: char:1
      • Add-IntelNetVLAN
      • +CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation (IANET_PhysicalE... "my hostname"):CimInstance) [Add-IntelNetVLAN], Exception
      • +FullyQualifiedErrorId : Error executing cmdlet.,Intel.Powershell.Network.VLAN.ADdIntelNetVlan

If it helps, the Powershell version I'm using is... (do get-host, then $PSVersionTable):

PSVersion 5.1.17763.134

While I can understand Powershell, it would be nice if Intel was able to modify the advanced settings back to what it was in 1803 and whatever the user sets in the GUI, just runs the appropriate PS cmds at the appropriate rights level so a normal user can do this without having to understand powershell commands. I guess we could pass out a script that has a GUI and asks for these values and does the commands, but I could never expect a normal user to do all of these steps.

0 Kudos
ZM1
Beginner

You're trying to form a team, right? You're using the wrong command at step 4. You want to use "New-IntelNetTeam"

0 Kudos
DFrie3
Beginner

Not yet.

Just the VLAN right now...kinda piggybacked on your topic since you mentioned VLAN and Teaming and had the same NIC. Figured the answers had to be close and Daniel did provide the separate command for me.

0 Kudos
MMacB
Novice

Hi there. Following this and also trying to set it up. Seemed to work fine but powershell has been hanging for me for a solid 5+ minutes after I hit enter on providing the name. Ran it in admin mode. I had to uninstall the softeare and reinstall it as it said one of the adapters was already part of a team which it was not. Ended up finding and removing that in device manager and showing hidden devices. Really not sure how to proceed at this point.

0 Kudos
MMacB
Novice

Hi there. Following this and also trying to set it up. Seemed to work fine but powershell has been hanging for me for a solid 5+ minutes after I hit enter on providing the name. Ran it in admin mode. I had to uninstall the softeare and reinstall it as it said one of the adapters was already part of a team which it was not. Ended up finding and removing that in device manager and showing hidden devices. Really not sure how to proceed at this point.

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello ZM1, Thank you for the reply. I am glad using PowerShell worked for you. Let me check on the ANS protocol issue. I have not seen it before. This is in the newly created virtual adapter? Does the Team adapter function correctly with the ANS protocol unchecked? Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
ZM1
Beginner

I haven’t checked the virtual adapter, but prior to forming the team, both of the physical adapters had it unchecked and gave that message when trying to check it. The team function works fine with ANS “unchecked” though, just odd its showing this behavior.

0 Kudos
ETett
Beginner

Install Win10Pro 1809 in haste before uninstalling Intel PROSet feature in 1803 and you will seriously run into some funky issues with the latest Intel PROSet feature, basically you should heed this warning on the Intel https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031823/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html?wapkw=23.5+release

PROset PRE-INSTALL WARNING.PNG it was impossible to get the power shell teaming working so I ended up rolling back to 1803 which luckily only took five minutes, I guess Microsoft made it that easy due to all the issues with October 1809. Anyway like it says on that link page eventually "We plan to add this functionality to the Intel® PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility in a future release." So as I'm not really desperate for any 1809 features I'll wait till then save me two days of scratching my head until I realised the basic mistake I had done😕

0 Kudos
EElls
Beginner

Mine just hangs when I try to create a team in powershell using DanielD_Intel:s instructions, what to do?

It just sits like this, 15 min and counting now:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> New-IntelNetTeamcmdlet New-IntelNetTeam at command pipeline position 1

Supply values for the following parameters:

TeamMemberNames[0]: Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T2 #2

TeamMemberNames[1]: Intel(R) Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T2

TeamMemberNames[2]:

TeamMode: IEEE802_3adDynamicLinkAggregation

TeamName: TEAM1

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello ZM1, In our own testing ANS protocol was checked for our connections in 23.5. This could be a bug specific to your connection. We will find out if there is a way to resolve this, and update you soon. Let us know if you have any other concerns. For those still having issues with Powershell hanging when creating VLANs or Teams please follow: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D70P000006AufFSAS/235-ans-teaming-powershell-cmdlet-hanging?language=en_US We are investigating this issue, and will post any updates in that thread when available. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
MMacB
Novice

This is also an issue for me. It just hangs. I219-V

MMacB
Novice

I219-V - Powershell also hanging when trying to create a team.

Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee

Hello @MMacB​ ,

If you followed the procedure above to create teams and still have a hanging issue please follow the thread in the link for updates:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D70P000006AufFSAS/235-ans-teaming-powershell-cmdlet-hanging?language=en_US

We will update the thread above as soon as possible when a solution is found.

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
MMacB
Novice

Procedure above? My procedure was the following run from PowerShell as an admin:

Import-Module -Name "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wired Networking\IntelNetCmdlets\IntelNetCmdlets"

Get-IntelNetAdapter

New-IntelNetTeam

adapter 1 name

adapter 2 name

StaticLinkAggregation

TeamName

Then it hangs indefinitely.

Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee

Hello @MMacB​ ,

There are no issues with the procedure you used. The hanging issue is present in some systems. Currently the solution would be a fresh install of Windows 10 1809, and we are working on a solution for those who cannot re-install Windows. Please check the following thread for any updates as soon as available:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D70P000006AufFSAS/235-ans-teaming-powershell-cmdlet-hanging?language=en_US

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Daniel_D_Intel1
Employee
Hello ZM1, To help us address the ANS protocol check box could you provide if your Windows 10 is Home or Pro, and the language or locale? When you created teams in PowerShell did you use a single command, or multiple prompts, and did you see any errors? Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Daniel D Intel Customer Support Under contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos