Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

X550-T2 not detecting link (no-carrier) on Debian

BGori
Beginner

I bought a new X550-T2 and updated to the latest drivers and firmware, the card seems to work except it won't detect the ethernet cable plugged in (it shows no-carrier) despite the green link light being on. The extra weird part is when I plug in two ethernet cables it will suddenly detect them, and appear to come online, but I still can't transmit any data over them.

The routing table and network settings are all correct or default. If I remove the card and put in an Aquantia 10G card in the same PCIe port it works fine. Also the integrated Intel NIC using the e1000e driver works fine. The cable, switch, and router ports all work fine in other NICs.

OS: Debian 4.19-amd64 modinfo ixgbe: version: 5.6.5 ethtool -i enp2s0f0: driver: ixgbe, version: 5.6.5, firmware-version: 0x80000f53   Kernel IP routing table Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface default 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 enp2s0f0 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 enp2s0f0 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 enp2s0f1

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi BGori,

Thank you for posting in our Intel Ethernet Communities Forum.

To know how to best assist you, please provide the markings found on the label of the physical card.

You may view this link, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007060/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html, to check on where you can find the label.

Have you also tested other Linux Operating Systems (OS) to isolate if the issue lies on the OS? You can find the supported Linux Operating systems for the card here, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025890/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
BGori
Beginner

After trying a newer kernel to no avail, I booted from a live disc and suddenly was able to get the network card online. So it was something messed up with my OS. I reinstalled, and is working great now.

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for wasting your time with something I should've tried first.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi BGori,

Thank you for your update.

We are glad to know that the issue is already fixed.

No problem. You did not waste our time at all. We were actually ready to investigate further on your concern. We find your issue really compelling.

We appreciate reaching out with us though.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel 

0 Kudos