Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4813 Discussions

XXV710-2: How to rollback/downgrade firmware to version 6.01 from version 7.00?

CZimm7
Beginner

I have successfully updated to firmware version 7.00 for the XXV710-2 adapter together with the -b option:

Num Description                         Ver.(hex) DevId S:B   Status

=== ================================== ============ ===== ====== ==============

01) Intel(R) Ethernet Network Adapter   7.00(7.00) 158B 00:001 Up to date

XXV710-2

Anyway I have several issues when running my dpdk application (e.g. TX is somehow not started if I fill up the TX queue).

I have seen that you are using the 6.01 (http://fast.dpdk.org/doc/perf/DPDK_19_05_Intel_NIC_performance_report.pdf), so I would like to rollback or downgrade.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to rollback or downgrade. In your user update guide you wrote that I should contact support.

Could you please give me an advice how to go back to the version you have used in your performance tests: 6.01 0x80003221 1.1691.0 ?

BR,

Christian

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Christian,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We will try to help check your query on how to roll back firmware from 7.00 to 6.01. We would appreciate if you could provide the following information that would help us check on your concern.

1.) What is the OS installed on your system?

2.) Please provide the System Support Utility log of your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and would also help us identify if you are using an OEM or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter. Kindly refer to the steps below.

a- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/91600/Intel-System-Support-Utility

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
CZimm7
Beginner
Hi Crisselle, Thank you for your quick reply. I have tried to setup the system like in your performance report, so I am using Linux. root@deul-c4-dpdk-143:~# uname -r 4.15.0-55-generic root@deul-c4-dpdk-143:~# lsb_release -a No LSB modules are available. Distributor ID: Ubuntu Description: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS Release: 18.04 Codename: bionic Attached you find the All_information.txt. I have generated it with following command: root@deul-c4-dpdk-143:~# ./ssu.sh -o=All_Information.txt I have not installed the x-org package since the machine is running without X11 – pure console. Please let me know if you need more information. BR, Christian
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Christian,

Thank you for the reply. But it seems you missed to attach the SSU log file. 

Kindly attach the file to this thread as this would help us check your query on the part of firmware downgrade 

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004OjvP2SAJ/xxv7102-how-to-rollbackdowngrade-firmware-to-version-601-from-version-700

Please also share the exact model and part number of the adapter. You may visit this link on how to Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using Serial Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
CZimm7
Beginner

Sorry, here we go: Type.PNG

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Christian,

Thank yo for providing the information that we requested.

Please allow us to check on this. We will give you an update within 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Christian,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

Please be informed that starting FW 6.8, it includes recovery mode which prohibits downgrade to previous FW.

The design of Recovery Mode precludes rollback to prior versions of the NVM. This is because the addition of the Recovery Mode capability changed the definition of some regions of the NVM to be write-protected. Rollback to a prior version requires access to these write-protected regions, and therefore, the rollback would fail.

You might need to use the latest dpdk and kernel drivers with this version of NVM. To contact DPDK support, click the "Login and Access" in the link below.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/support/ips/training/welcome.html

Please let us know if you have additional questions on this matter.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Christian,

Just want to check if you already tried our last recommendation which is to contact DPDK.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
CZimm7
Beginner
Hi, I would but unfortunately if I click on “Access and Login” I end on this page: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/support/ips/training/access-and-login.html And there is no login/contact to DPDK link. At least I cannot find it. BR, Christian
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Christian,

Yes this link provides you more information on how to access DPDK.

You may also click on the hyperlink within that web page to get support on how to login if you already have an existing login credentials or new customer.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
CZimm7
Beginner
Hi, I am in contact now with your development team, so you can close my question. I guess that they can help me. BR, Christian
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Christian,

Thank you for the update. We are glad to hear that you are now in contact with them.

If you have questions in the future, please feel free to contact us.

Have a lovely day!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos