Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4855 Discussions

duplicate MAC address of two different X520-DA2 NICs

JProc
Beginner

Hello,

my question is directed to Intel NIC developers - we (CDN77) are using your X520-DA2 cards in thousands of servers - we have discovered that two different X520-DA2 NICs we have in our network do use the SAME MAC address.

The conflicting MAC is 00:1b:21:bc:32:15.

Is this something what 'can happen from time to time'? It would be a real flaw in the design - this makes makes me think the duplicate MAC is caused by some Chinese copy of the genuine Intel NIC.

You can imagine what mess can this cause.

If it helps, I can send more detail information regarding both NICs.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Jirii,

Thank you for posting in Wired Communities. I am sorry to hear what happened, I would like to get more detail of the two X520-DA2 cards in question. Can you provide the picture of the two network cards (front and back view). Thank you.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jirii,

Please feel free to provide the picture of X520-DA2 for us to further check. Thank you.

Regards,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
JProc
Beginner

Sharon,

we are trying to get the photos of one of the NICs - it's in a remote DC, currently placed in a server which is in production - we need to replace this card, which means we need to plan a maintenance window. This is planned on this Wednesday so I should be able to deliver all photos by Friday (23 Feb).

Resolution of this issue is one of my priorities.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jirii,

Thank you for the update. I will wait for further information from you.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jirii,

Please feel free to update me if you have the network card pictures already.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
JProc
Beginner

Hi,

sorry for the late reply - I finally gathered the requested photos. Please see the attachement (NIC1 x NIC2).

Both have the same MAC (00:1b:21:bc:32:15).

Let me know if you need more details regarding any of the NICs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jirii,

Thank you for the information. Based on the part number G18786-002 in the serial number, this is found to be a Dell OEM network card. For Intel retail X520-DA2 (E10G42BTDA), the PBA number is E68793-xxx which is different from the one in your serial number. You may refer to this website for reference:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005612/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Are these NICs purchased from Dell or came directly with the system? How about the other X520-DA2 which do not have the mac address issue. can you check if the PBA number is also G18786-002? You might want to check with Dell as they are in better position to check on their OEM unit.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jirii,

Please let me know if you have contacted Dell and what is the update? Looking forward to your reply if further assistance needed.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jirii,

As an additional information, if you want to check for the authenticity of Intel retail network adapter, make sure to have the Yottmark label on the network card. You may refer to this website about Yottamark authentication for Intel network adapter

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007074/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

For OEM network card, it is recommended to contact the OEM vendor to check. Please feel free to update me if further assistance needed.

Regards,

Sharon T

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jirii,

If you wish to purchase Intel retail network adapter, you may contact our authorized reseller where you can find them at http://locate.intel.com/

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jirii,

I sent PM to you, please feel free to reply me from there.

Thanks,

Sharon T
0 Kudos
jmark9
Beginner

My website http://quickbooksupports.co/ Quickbooks Support found this duplicate address too then it got resolved soon.

0 Kudos