Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4888 Discussions

i226-V ethernet adapter not working on Asus MoBo

EmilioS
Beginner

Intel i226-V ethernet adapter not working on Asus MoBo
ASUS PRIME Z790-A WIFI - MoBo ATX - Socket LGA1700 - Intel Z790 - DDR5 - Realtek

The adapter has been working for a few days on a new PC, thereafter not visible anymore and not working anymore.

What can we do about it?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Hayat
Employee

Hello EmilioS,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

In order for us to investigate further, please provide the information below:

- Your operating system(OS) and build version 

- Is it a prebuilt or the card purchased separately?

- Any software or hardware changes to your system and network router/switch recently?

- Please confirm if you are using the latest driver version (Installed from ASUS or INTEL)?

- Have you checked the issue with ASUS?

We highly suggest you to contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) -ASUS further on this to get the driver and firmware updated.

Since, the system or board manufacturer provides support for built-in network connections. The driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer. We recommend you work with your computer manufacturer before installing our driver so you don’t lose features or customizations.

Kindly let us know, if you have any questions.

Regards,

Hayat

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
EmilioS
Beginner

Thank you,

Windows 11 home, latest updates.
Prebuild ethernet adapter i266-V in the new ASUS MoBo.
No changes, maybe updates from Microsoft, not clear.

The PC was delivered end of January, the adapter was visible and working for about two weeks.
Thereafter the adapter was not working and greyed in the devise manager.
There I could not see the driver, so I removed the adapter within the device manager to reïnstall again.
But the i266-V is not visible anymore in the device manager.
On the Intel website, I only could find a driver for the i255-V, not for the i266-V.
And I am not able anymore to re-activate or re-install the adapter, since it shows not up.

No contact with Asus yet, since the adapter is Intel.
And I do not know how and where ask for support at Asus.

Thank you

Maarten Swart

0 Kudos
Hayat
Employee

Hello EmilioS,

Thank you for your response.

Kindly go to below link to get the driver for your model. Please check if its the same model as yours.

https://www.asus.com/my/motherboards-components/motherboards/prime/prime-z790-a-wifi/helpdesk_download?model2Name=PRIME-Z790-A-WIFI

Below is the ASUS support link:

https://www.asus.com/my/support/callus/

Kindly get in touch with ASUS regarding this as mentioned previously:

The driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer. 

Please try to download and install the latest driver from ASUS as provided on the above links.

Kindly let us know the update and if you have any questions.

Regards,

Hayat

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
EmilioS
Beginner

Thank you, Hayat,

I have contacted Asus support.

I also found the latest drivers for my Asus MoBo via your link.

BUT: I cannot see or access the ethernet adapter i226-V, since it doesn't show in the device manager (also not under invisibles).
Is there a way that I could access the adapter/controller differently to install the right driver and have it working again?

Somewhere in the Intel support blogs, there was an issue mentioned about ethernet adapters where the TCP/IPv6 protocol causes problems. But I am not expert enough to do anything with this, I do not understand it.

Thank you

Maarten Swart
Netherlands

0 Kudos
Hayat
Employee

Hello EmilioS,

Kindly try below steps and provide and provide us with an update.

1: Show hidden devices

Some devices may be hidden in Device Manager. When they’re hidden, you cannot see them. So your network adapter could be hidden. If that’s the case, to fix the problem, you just need to make all hidden devices shown in Device Manage. 

Follow the steps below to show the hidden devices.

1) Open Device Manager.

2) Click the View menu, and then click Show hidden devices.

3) Click Action menu, and then click Scan for hardware changes.

4) Check to see if the problem is resolved.

2: Update drivers

The network adapter may be displayed as an Unknown device. Check to see if you see an Unknown device under Other devices as below image shown. If you see an Unknown device, update the driver. Though you don’t see an Unknown device, the problem could be caused by driver issues. To fix the problem, try to update the network adapter driver.

Please try the Clean Driver Installation Guide for Intel® Ethernet Connections before installing the new driver from ASUS.

Kindly share with us the screenshot of the network adapters and other devices after the steps above have been tried.

Please let us know the feedback from ASUS.

Thank you.

Regards,

Hayat

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I would also be checking BIOS Setup to see whether it is configured to disable and hide this device.

...S

0 Kudos
EmilioS
Beginner

All checked and enabled, the adapter is not visible, also not under hidden devices.
The latest driver is downloaded, but not possible to install.
BIOS of MoBo is updated to the latest successfully.

0 Kudos
Hayat
Employee

Hello EmilioS,

Regarding your thread, we are following up to find out if you were able to complete the actions, we previously recommended.

Please reply here to confirm, so we can continue helping with a resolution. Looking forward to receiving your reply!

Thank You.

Regards,

Hayat

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
EmilioS
Beginner
Good day,

We followed your advice to contact ASUS support.
They reacted with the advice to update the BIOS.
We updated the BIOS with EZ Flash  from 1604 to 1630, the latest

I already downloaded the latest driver for the ethernet adapter i225-V and i226-V, but I still cannot see the adapter in the device manager, also not in the hidden section.
So I cannot remove or update the driver for the ethernet adapter.

The problem is still not solved, I have no internet via ethernet

Thank you

Maarten Emilio Swart
Netherlands
0 Kudos
Hayat
Employee

Hi EmilioS,

Please be informed since this is an OEM Intel Ethernet - we can only provide the best effort support to assist you on this.

Can you please check for below link if it helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BJT-pUTN3s

https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-10-network-adapter-missing/#:~:text=Right%2Dclick%20Start%20and%20select,Follow%20the%20displayed%20instructions.

Kindly let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Hayat

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
EmilioS
Beginner

Hello Hayat,

I have reset all adapters, via settings, no result

I tried to use netcfg -d or -x (as an administrator within cmd), but with my W11 home version, this command doesn't do anything.

I started WwanSvc in the service section, no result (and changed the settings to automatic start).

I tried to install the latest ethernet driver voor Intel i226-V, but de install.bat program did work but without result.

I looked upon 'Additional troubleshooters', which is available in my W11 under the system: but they do not provide any help.

At ipconfig, there is no ethernet adapter visible. See attachments.

I do not know what to do next, ASUS states that the physical onboard adapter may have to be replaced. But since I have the OEM Windows 11 version

I do not know if all my installed software can be moved over to a new MoBo. Do you know a solution for this? Will it be possible when we use a non-OEM version of Windows 11 on the new MoBo?

Thank you Maarten Emilio Swart
Netherlands

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hello EmilioS,

You could use My Asus switch this situation. But please check with Asus for the complete steps.

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1046371/

Regards,

Irwan_Intel

0 Kudos
EmilioS
Beginner

Thank you,

Do you think that we can transfer the whole C disk (Windows 11 OEM + all our software) to another ASUS MoBo?

It is our understanding that W11 OEM versions are linked and tied to the specific motherboard.
The problem can only be fixed by replacing the MoBo with a new one.

So can your suggestion work?
It is a desktop PC that has an ASUS MoBo that has to be replaced.

0 Kudos
Hayat
Employee

Hello EmilioS,

As mentioned in the previous post, you need to check with Asus to know more on this.

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1046371/

Kindly let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Hayat
Employee

Hello EmilioS,

Since this has to be checked further with OEM (ASUS), we will proceed to close the thread.

Please be informed, once the thread is closed it will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Kindly open a new thread if you have further questions. We will be more than happy to assist you further for any issue.

Regards,

Hayat

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos