Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4887 Discussions

newly installed x550-t2 adapter now slower uploads on 1000/1000 fiber

Mit4
Novice

I just got a Intel X550-T2 adapter for my server which is running server standard 2019.  I got this adapter to be ready for multigig internet in the future and to see if i can pull just a bit more than the 940/940 I've been getting from my fiber provider.  I installed this and my download speeds are indeed faster at up to 980-1000 now, but my upload speeds have gotten worse now at an average of 700 where before it was 930-940.  I downloaded the current driver version 29 from intels website and installed the proset utility. Even though i installed the latest driver, in device manger it is showing as driver date 3/13/2021 with a version of 4.1.239.0

I wasn't sure what speed the nic is in my fiber ONT but upon connecting it to this x550 adapter which should support 1000/2500/5000/10000 it appears the nic is linked at 10 gbe in windows. 

What settings can we look at and tweak in the intel driver to maximize performance and get my upload speeds back to where they were when plugged into the 1gbe intel nic. It almost seems like internal buffer bloat but i am not sure.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
Azeem_Intel
Employee

Hi Mit4,

Greetings for the day!

I hope you are doing well. Could you please share a snapshot of the defective part with the serial number visible? Additionally, please let us know from where you updated the driver.

Please do not hesitate in contact us, we are more than glad to assist you.

Best Regards,

Azeem_Intel

0 Kudos
Mit4
Novice

You may have misunderstood the question.  There isn't a defective part.  I downloaded the driver from the intel driver website.

0 Kudos
Azeem_Intel
Employee

Hi Mit4,

Greetings for the day!

I hope you are doing well. Could you please share a snapshot of the part with the serial number visible to check and proceed further.

There is also some related articles for your reference below:

https://www.intel.sg/content/www/xa/en/support/articles/000091032/ethernet-products.html

Best Regards,

Azeem_Intel

0 Kudos
Mit4
Novice

I dont have this information handy as the network adapter is installed in a running system and i cant easily take it down.

0 Kudos
Azeem_Intel
Employee

Hi Mit4,

Greetings for the day!

I hope you are doing well. Please find the link provided below:

Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack

Best Regards,

Azeem_Intel

0 Kudos
Mit4
Novice

i have the latest driver pack installed.

0 Kudos
Azeem_Intel
Employee

Hi Mit4,

Greetings for the day!

I hope you are doing well. Please find the link provided below and update with latest driver.

Best Regards,

Azeem_Intel

0 Kudos
Mit4
Novice

did you not see my post above?, i mentioned i already had the latest driver installed.

0 Kudos
Azeem_Intel
Employee

Hi Mit4,

Greetings for the day!

You have mentioned in the post old version updated, Please find the link provided below and update it with the latest driver.

Best Regards,

Azeem_Intel

0 Kudos
Azeem_Intel
Employee

Hi Mit4,

Greetings for the day!

This is the first follow-up regarding the issue (newly installed x550-t2 adapter now slower uploads on 1000/1000 fiber
) you reported to us.

We wanted to inquire whether you had the opportunity to review the plan of action (POA) we provided.

Best Regards,

Azeem_Intel

0 Kudos
Mit4
Novice

The driver is on the latest version already

0 Kudos
Azeem_Intel
Employee

Hi Mit4,

Greetings for the day!

Thank you for your response. Could you please share a snapshot of the driver version, and have you tried checking the NIC with a different system?

Best Regards,

Azeem_Intel

0 Kudos
Mit4
Novice
I built a physical pc and moved the nic to that so pfsense isn’t virtualized anymore. The nic performs as expected when it’s not in a virtual environment.
0 Kudos
pmmicrosystems
Beginner

please do the following steps

1. clear the catch & temp folder

2. check OFC Cable & update the hardware drivers

3. turnoff the energy efficient system in adapter by advance section

4. check the internet speed yo can refer to fast.com, speedtest.net, nettest.in

hope this will help you!

0 Kudos
Mit4
Novice

i have done all of the steps 1-4.  i don't think the issue was related to any of those.  I think it has to do with some kind of network buffering on 10gbe connected devices.  when i set this adapter to 1gbe, internet speed test are 940/940 but when its set to 10gbe internet speed tests are 980/650. its only the outbound that has an issue on 10gbe computers

0 Kudos
Varsha11
Employee

Hello Mitch,

Greetings for the day !

Thankyou for the information .

At the moment, we are actively working towards finding an appropriate resolution for your issue, and we will provide you with an update as soon as we can. We kindly request your cooperation during this time.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us for any further assistance.

Best Regards,

Varsha

0 Kudos
Azeem_Intel
Employee

Hi Mit4,

Greetings for the day!

We appreciate your patience. Could you please confirm if this product was purchased separately or if it was shipped with the system.

Best Regards,

Azeem_Intel

0 Kudos
Mit4
Novice

it was purchased separately

0 Kudos
Azeem_Intel
Employee

Hi Mit4,

Greetings for the day!

Thank you for reaching out. Can you provide us a photo of the markings both front and back so we can validate your NIC. 

Please try using one of our support articles for network adapters that are unable to Reach Gigabit Speed. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058667/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html

Best Regards,

Azeem_Intel

0 Kudos
Mit4
Novice

The nic is currently in use in a production firewall . i will not be taking it out to have you validate it.  Its working fine running under bare metal hardware, it was not under windows hyper-v. i will live with that for now.

0 Kudos