FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP

Configuring a PLL

UMall1
New Contributor I

I am using a Cyclone iii device and I have an interface to an Imaging sensor that receives MIPI outputs.

ONE CLOCK LINE

ONE SYNCHRONIZATION LINE

FOUR IMAGE LINES

Cyclone III has a core speed limit of 250MHz. However, the SERDES should be able to read in serial data at much higher rates. IS THIS ASSUMPTION CORRECT.

As an experiment - I want to use the PLL to read in the synchronization line- using the scandata and scanclk inputs. Is this a correct way for implementing a Serdes?

What is the relationship between the INCLK0 and the SCANCLK input. I have tried using the ALT_Rx and ALTPLL separately and always run into timing violations at high speeds (360MHz). I can close timing at up to 250MHz.

What is the best way to go about implementing a SERDES in FPGAs.

(1) An ALTPLL + {ALT_Rx for all lines} or

(2) ALTPLL with scan clk and scandata line for the synchronization line  + ALT_Rx for the Image lines?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hello,

From the device handbook, it mentioned that the Cyclone III device family does not 

contain dedicated serialization or deserialization circuitry. Therefore, shift registers, 

internal phase-locked loops (PLLs), and I/O cells are used to perform serial-to-parallel conversions on incoming data and parallel-to-serial conversion on outgoing data. The differential interface data serializers and deserializers (SERDES) are automatically constructed in the core logic elements (LEs) with the Quartus® II software ALTLVDS megafunction.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
FvM
Valued Contributor III

Hi,
I don't understand all details of your interface, specifically I'm not aware of "synchronization line" playing a role in MIPI camera interface. As far as I know, MIPI is using serial data rates above 1 GBPS per lane. Maximal data rate achievable with Cyclone III SERDES is 875 MBPS (depending on FPGA speed grade). Therefore it can't receive MIPI data.

0 Kudos
UMall1
New Contributor I

I am using an On Semi chip - the rate is 720Mbps. The synchronization line carries readout state - Frame Start, Line start, Frame end, Line End, CRC, Image etc. When I design the PLL I see that - despite having Cyclone III as the implementation chip  - Quartus shows a - "Can implement Interface" message. I use the Cyclone III EP3C80F484C6 FPGA. 720Mbps seems to be well within the chip's abilities.

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hello,

From the device handbook, it mentioned that the Cyclone III device family does not 

contain dedicated serialization or deserialization circuitry. Therefore, shift registers, 

internal phase-locked loops (PLLs), and I/O cells are used to perform serial-to-parallel conversions on incoming data and parallel-to-serial conversion on outgoing data. The differential interface data serializers and deserializers (SERDES) are automatically constructed in the core logic elements (LEs) with the Quartus® II software ALTLVDS megafunction.

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hello,

I wish to follow up with you on this issue,

Is there any more support needed?

Regards,

Aqid

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you.

0 Kudos