FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6365 Discussions

DDR II SRAM (not SDRAM) interface to Stratix II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Has anyone in the altera forum community ever put together a DDR II SRAM interface with Stratix II? I've done work with SDRAM DQS based before, but trying to see if prior work with DDR II SRAM has been done before so I don't have to re-invent the wheel. Any tips or known IP would be appreciated by me and the rest of the community :D

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

DDRII SRAM is very similar to QDRII, except that QDRII uses DDR on the address as well as write data. Cypress released an app note on DDRII, see http://www.eetasia.com/art_8800376255_499486_22987e61200509.htm (http://www.eetasia.com/art_8800376255_499486_22987e61200509.htm

or Google search for "How To Interface DDR-II SRAMs with Stratix II Devices". Cypress was willing to release the design code to me under NDA, so you may also be able to get it from them under NDA. I think I got a copy of the article as PDF from Cypress as well, but if so, I've misplaced it. 

You have choices on resynchronizing return read data after it is reclocked by CQ/CQN: 

1. return directly to your source clock  

2. use 1 stage of intermediate resynch clock with some phase shift from your source clock 

3. use a ring buffer and a state machine at powerup that determines the read offset in the ring buffer 

4. wrap the LD_L and REN signals around externally (as bidirects) if they can be safely clocked by CQ or CQN and use them to form a write enable to a fifo. 

The current (Quartus 6.0 and later) QDRII megacore uses# 3; the Cypress design used# 2, I think. At the frequencies I'm using in my DDR-II SRAM design, the timing works out clean for me to use# 1. 

\chuck
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks chuck! This helps a lot to get me started.

0 Kudos