FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6379 Discussions

Problem with CXL IP Design Example Type 3 on DK-DEV-AGI027RBES

xalverti
Beginner

Hi,

We are using Quartus 24.1 to compile the type 3 ddr memory design example for the board and program the FPGA using the following guide:

Agilex™ 7 R-Tile Compute Express Link* (CXL*) FPGA IP Design Example User Guide version 1.12 for quartus 24.1. 

If we program it with the recommended SW4 switch setting (4.1 ON), it does not work and we loose access to the FPGA with a JTAG chain broken error (same as this https://community.intel.com/t5/Programmable-Devices/JTAG-error-after-programming-device/td-p/1594877

The same happens if we leave SW4 to the preset configuration (4.3 ON).

If we program the device with all SW4 pins to OFF (as it was for the R1BES version of the board) we can still detect the FPGA but programming fails with the attached configuration errors. The description states:  "External hardware access error. The first i2c command has failed, no response from voltage regulator". 

Could you please let me know what is the correct SW4 setting and how we should proceed?

Best Regards,
Alverti Chloe

Best Regards,

Chloe

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
WZ2
Employee

Hi Chloe,

I see. The sw4 should be all off. The error u see about I2C is caused the wrong setting in PMBUS. U can check it in Quartus->Assignment->Device->Device and Pin option, the setting of SCL and SDA in Configuration->Configuration pin option; the setting of VR in Power Management.

The right setting can refer from the setting in example design. Or give me u specific opn of your board, let me check it.

Best regards,

WZ

0 Kudos
xalverti
Beginner

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply! 
So this means that the Table 32 in the document is incorrect?

If so could you please then let me know what SW3 should be set to?

Setting SW4 to all off did not make the problem go away.

With respect to the other settings, shouldn't they be already correct? I am compiling the example design for the device.

Our board opn is DK-DEV-AGI027RBES. And we are compiling the type 3 example design for this board.

Best,

Chloe

0 Kudos
xalverti
Beginner

I am attaching some screenshots from our configuration in case that helps.

Thank you,

Chloe

0 Kudos
xalverti
Beginner

Hi again,

Are there any thoughts on this? Because we are stuck and we cannot really move forward.

Thank you very much for your help!

Best Regards,

Chloe

0 Kudos
WZ2
Employee

Hi there,

I check the setting in quartus is no error, please set all switch to their default setting(just like User guire )

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683288/current/default-settings.html

SW4 should be all off, it can enable sdm_pmbus signal and communicate with Voltage regulator. 

WZ2_0-1715910580278.png

Best regards,

WZ

0 Kudos
WZ2
Employee

Sorry for the miss, for RBES, sw4 should be off off on off

WZ2_2-1715911043700.png

WZ2_1-1715911026144.png

0 Kudos
xalverti
Beginner

If you see our first post you will read that we have tried this already. 

If we go with off/off/on/off we get a jtag chain error. If we go fro off/off/off/off we have the errors you see above.

Also please keep in mind that it seems that for CXL IP designs the switches are not the same as the user guide. 

We are following this guide --> Agilex™ 7 R-Tile Compute Express Link* (CXL*) FPGA IP Design Example User Guide version 1.12 for quartus 24.1. 

Please give us some advice how to solve this.

Chloe

0 Kudos
xalverti
Beginner

Hi, 

I have managed to solve the issue of voltage regulator error and the device is in USER MODE after programming.

However, still I cannot detect 0ddb with lspci and the design is not working.

What should I do?

Thank you,

Chloe

0 Kudos