FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

Arria 10 GX FPGA dev kit examples: JTAG ID code issue

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm attempting to load the current example files for the Arria 10 GX FPGA dev kit and it is coming up with: 

Error (209015): Can't configure device. Expected JTAG ID code 0x02E860DD for device 1, but found JTAG ID code 0x02E660DD. Make sure the location of the target device on the circuit board matches the device's location in the device chain in the Chain Description File (.cdf). 

The ID for the device on my board is correct (0x02E660DD) but the programmer is expecting something else. I have tried loading via the BTS software and the Quartus programmer and both have the same issue. 

Has anyone else experienced this?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you sure the target device in your Quartus project is the exact device on the board? Doesn't hurt to double-check.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Are you sure the target device in your Quartus project is the exact device on the board? Doesn't hurt to double-check. 

--- Quote End ---  

It clearly isn't... The problem is I'm using a pre-compiled example .sof from Altera. The examples are specifically for my development kit but appear to target the wrong device.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Are you using USB blaster II. 

If yes can you reduce the TCK clock frequency to 16 MHz or 6 MHz and check once. 

jtagconfig --setparam 1 JtagClock 6M  

https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_usb_blstr_ii_cable.pdf 

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

Are you using USB blaster II. 

If yes can you reduce the TCK clock frequency to 16 MHz or 6 MHz and check once. 

jtagconfig --setparam 1 JtagClock 6M  

https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_usb_blstr_ii_cable.pdf 

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation) 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Anand 

Yes, I'm using the on-board USB blaster II. I tried TCK values of 6MHz and 3MHz and get the same error. I also used "--getparam 1 JtagClock 3M" and it read back the expected "3M" so it is updating the programmer correctly. 

The ID the .sof file is looking for doesn't seem to be correct. I.e. the JTAG ID from the Arria 10 GX on the development kit should be 0x02E660DD but it is looking for 0x02E860D: 

info: error (209015): can't configure device. expected jtag id code 0x02e860dd for device 1, but found jtag id code 0x02e660dd. make sure the location of the target device on the circuit board matches the device's location in the device chain in the chain description file (.cdf). 

Essentially I think that the examples for this board need to be re-compiled by Altera.... but I'm happy to be corrected :) 

Thanks for your time!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I'm attempting to load the current example files for the Arria 10 GX FPGA dev kit and it is coming up with: 

Error (209015): Can't configure device. Expected JTAG ID code 0x02E860DD for device 1, but found JTAG ID code 0x02E660DD. Make sure the location of the target device on the circuit board matches the device's location in the device chain in the Chain Description File (.cdf). 

The ID for the device on my board is correct (0x02E660DD) but the programmer is expecting something else. I have tried loading via the BTS software and the Quartus programmer and both have the same issue. 

Has anyone else experienced this? 

--- Quote End ---  

i have solved the issue. 

The problem was the $quartus_rootdir variable was not pointing to the correct directory. Even when I open Quartus 17.0 it was still pointing to Quartus 15.1. I realised this when I attempted to program using the Quartus programmer v17.0 instead of 15.1 and it was successful. The BTS still wasn’t happy with the loaded .sof so I manually changed the path in control panel: 

https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/support/kdb/downloads/rd01292013_416/setting_up_environment_variables_for_gui.pdf 

I hope this is helpful for someone else in the future!
0 Kudos