FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

Can I program my BeMicro CV A9 with Separate JTAG configuration header??

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all! 

We have our BeMicro CV A9 Dev Kit and have a question. Can we configure it with Separate JTAG configuration header? 

In manual (http://www.alterawiki.com/uploads/f/f3/hardware_reference_guide_bemicro_cv_a9_1.2.pdf) there are only two methods been described, but it said that three methods are presented.  

Did somebody managed to configure BeMicro CV A9 with third method (Separate JTAG configuration header)?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have just tried but don't works.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

And for me the same result

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think that only one USB blaster at time can send TCK over Jtag, maybe desoldering some resistor can enable external USB blaster (built-in is slow?)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I finally decided not to use Separate JTAG configuration header at all. But maybe it (desoldering some resistor) can work)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

All boards with embedded USB Blaster II have a header connected to MAX V JTAG pins for initial programming, partly unpopulated. If there's one 10-pin header and no other connection to MAX V dedicated JTAG pins, I would expect it's for MAX V programming only.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I reviewed the Dev Kit schematic and found that the board has a separate JTAG header for MAX V programming. The hardware connections suggest that an external USB Blaster can be routed to CV JTAG by a software option, but it may be unsupported in actual MAX V FPGA.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here is official response from BeMicro team: 

--- Quote Start ---  

The separate JTAG header is for debugging purposes and is not a supported method for programming the board. 

Regards, 

BeMicro Support 

--- Quote End ---  

Maybe they can save soldering unuseful pin header..
0 Kudos