FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5960 Discussions

Converting .sof to .flash in Nios II Command Shell

BigSid
Beginner

I've got an Arria 10 GX FPGA Development Board (DK-DEV-10AX115S-A) and am trying to convert a .sof file to a .flash file for use with the board. I'm using Quartus Prime Standard 23.1.

I'm referring to these instructions to attempt to do that:

BigSid_1-1715106252862.png

Step 2 instructs to navigate to the .sof file while in the Nios II Command Shell. How is this done?

Without navigating, I've entered the Step 2 text but received this message when completed:

BigSid_2-1715106552825.png

No .flash file appears to have been created. 

How can I create a .flash file?

Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
aikeu
Employee

Hi BigSid,

Can try to refer to the sof2flash function in the document below:

https://cdrdv2-public.intel.com/666773/ug_nios2_flash_programmer-683118-666773.pdf

Thanks.

Regads,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
BigSid
Beginner

Hi Aik Eu,

Thanks for the document. I 've read it but still don't understand the problem.

Would it be easier to generate the .flash file using the Nios II Flash Programmer GUI? I've tried to start the GUI from the Nios II Command Shell by following the instructions shown on page 9 of your document but get this:

BigSid_0-1715171121936.png

Any guidance would be appreciated - thanks.

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi BigSid,

You will need to source the Nios2_coomand_shell in your terminal then only can run the sof2flash cmd.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Temp75.png

Run the nios2_command_shell in the correct directory path in your terminal.

Then only run the sof2flash in your nios2_command_shell terminal in the correct directory path where your sof file allocated.

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi BigSid,

Do let me know if you have further question.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
BigSid
Beginner

Hi Aik Eu,

I've opened the Nios II Command Shell from its installed folder. Do I also need to copy and paste my design's .sof file into that same folder to create a .flash file using the command shell? Please list the needed steps.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi BigSid,

You do not need to copy and paste the .sof file into the same folder.

As long as Nios II command shell is enabled in your terminal, you will just required to go to the directory path with your project .sof file and execute sof2flash.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
BigSid
Beginner

Hi Aik Eu,

Sorry, but I don't understand. The Nios II command shell is opened and I've entered the command to create a .flash file:

BigSid_0-1715771153764.png

The error "sof2flash: command not found" is given.

How do I go to the directory path with my project .sof file and execute sof2flash? I don't know what that means. Do I do that in the command shell? If so, how? How do I execute sof2flash?

I appreciate your patience here but I just got the development kit and have never needed to create a .flash file before.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi BigSid,

I think there is some missing component in your environment setup which leads to the command not found. Can refer to the link below:

https://www.macnica.co.jp/en/business/semiconductor/support/faqs/intel/134526/

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos