FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

Cyclone III Video Dev Kit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there! I’ve just purchased Cyclone III Video Dev Kit from Bitec and want a bit of guidance from the experts ;) This kit includes a Cyclone III EP3C120F780 FPGA.  

My experience with Altera FPGA’s and software is kind of low, so I have some questions for you.  

1. Is there more design examples available online? The ones with the kit are “my_first_fpga”, “niosII_standard”, “pfl”, “power_demo” and “quartos_pinouts”. I first of all want to make a simple code that prints something on the LCD display (graphical or character). The tutorials with the kit/sw are rather simple …  

2. With limited knowledge in FPGA’s I need some “pointers” to quickly gaining knowledge from Altera’s literature. What are the basic topics for a newbie like me? ;)  

3. What kind of programming languages is most efficient VHDL (Quartus II) or C (NIOS II IDE) and does it matter what I use? I have some knowledge in both of the programming languages so that’s not the main challenge.  

4. My ultimate goal is to develop a video-over-ethernet (real-time speed) using the Bitec HSMC Quad Video daughter card to capture from an analog camera (NTSC) and stream this over ethernet. Will a “soft implementation” using the NIOS II IP (and other necessary IP’s) be fast enough, what do you think?  

Well that’s it :) I’m very excited about this and hope there is someone out there that will give me some guidance in the right direction with links etc. 

Thank you all in advance
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

<snip> 

1. Is there more design examples available online? The ones with the kit are “my_first_fpga”, “niosII_standard”, “pfl”, “power_demo” and “quartos_pinouts”. I first of all want to make a simple code that prints something on the LCD display (graphical or character). The tutorials with the kit/sw are rather simple …  

<snip> 

4. My ultimate goal is to develop a video-over-ethernet (real-time speed) using the Bitec HSMC Quad Video daughter card to capture from an analog camera (NTSC) and stream this over ethernet. Will a “soft implementation” using the NIOS II IP (and other necessary IP’s) be fast enough, what do you think?  

--- Quote End ---  

Check out the 'vip_example_design_3c120_v80_revA' that demonstrates the Video IP suite; it's pretty good, once you figure out some of the 'qwerks'. It is made for the BiTec kit combo. 

Mike 

PS: I wish I could afford that kit.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

Bitec have just uploaded a h.264 encoder demonstration which streams video from a DVI port to GiGe.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Check out the 'vip_example_design_3c120_v80_revA' that demonstrates the Video IP suite; it's pretty good, once you figure out some of the 'qwerks'. It is made for the BiTec kit combo. 

Mike 

PS: I wish I could afford that kit. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks! I will give this design example a try! :) What kind of compression does it use?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi 

Bitec have just uploaded a h.264 encoder demonstration which streams video from a DVI port to GiGe. 

--- Quote End ---  

I will take a look at this :) My first approach will be streaming video without any compression at all. I hope this kit will handle it :) Thanks for answering! :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Another question: I've just requested the Video IP Reference Design from Altera, but seems like it takes some time ... anyone know for how long I have to wait for this reference design?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's too big to up load; or it would be here.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It's too big to up load; or it would be here. 

--- Quote End ---  

OK! Just sent you a PM mikehsr ...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Finally got the 'Video Over IP Reference Design' and trying to port it to Cyclone III Video Kit. I have added a 'Bitec QVideo In' module from the 'Quad Video Input'-example and successfully generated files from the SoPC-builder, but I need some help with the pin-assignment. Can this be done with a tcl-script? Or must I do this manually in the schematic diagram and the pin planner?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Finally got the 'Video Over IP Reference Design' and trying to port it to Cyclone III Video Kit. I have added a 'Bitec QVideo In' module from the 'Quad Video Input'-example and successfully generated files from the SoPC-builder, but I need some help with the pin-assignment. Can this be done with a tcl-script? Or must I do this manually in the schematic diagram and the pin planner? 

--- Quote End ---  

All three are methods; if your more comfortable with tcl, use it. 

Mike
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Okey, thanks Mike I'm done experimenting with different reference designs and a bit annoyed when fiddling about with the SOPC-builder trying to make a system from scratch. I can't seem to find the right Avalon-ST interface to use with the Triple Speed Ethernet component. This sopc-project also includes a NiosII processor and using the Clocked Video Input that I want to send raw-RGB to the TSE. Some suggestions? I know that it's needed with some "glue-coding" afterwards but I just wonder whats possible to do with the SOPC.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using the SGDMA-component to connect to the TSE and that works for now ;)

0 Kudos